The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How much paint, to paint an entire truck? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=404218)

muthstryker 05-24-2010 01:05 AM

How much paint, to paint an entire truck?

Hey guys, Was wondering if any of you know about how much paint I would need to paint a truck. Just an estimate, I know it will average with the amount of coats you put on. Curious because the paint im going to be getting is alot of money per quart. So I need a quick estimate so I know how much to buy.

I wont be doing the bed because I will have a bed liner sprayed in.. Just over the rails and what not..

Thanks in advance

1bad71 05-24-2010 02:07 AM

Re: How much paint, to paint an entire truck?

I am in the process of painting my truck, I bought a gallon last time and painted all of the truck with a couple coates and had some left. I didn't spray inside the bed either. Hope that helps

muthstryker 05-24-2010 07:27 PM

Cool thanks, Was thinking like 2-3 gallons. You saved me aloot of money. :)

vintagesteel 05-24-2010 09:19 PM

You can paint the whole truck, outside only, with 1 gallon. DON'T price paint by the quart! It is higher that way.

muthstryker 05-24-2010 10:00 PM

the paint only comes in quarts, its a OEM motor cycle paint. it only comes in quarts because 1 quart is enough to do 1 bike.

bigkyle72 05-24-2010 10:32 PM

ya i agree with the one gal. i did mine with one gal, paint gets reduced so if you buy one gallon it is actually 2 sprayable gallons. what is the color?

muthstryker 05-24-2010 10:40 PM

The color is Candy Flat Raw Plasma Blue, Off the Kawasaki ZX-6R bikes.. Its Amazing, Going to do the whole truck in it..

muthstryker 05-24-2010 10:44 PM

The downside is its, 207$s a quart.. Going to contact the place that makes it and see if they have like a gallon or a volume discount..

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/x...06TrkSS-20.jpg

theprestongroup 05-25-2010 03:35 PM

Have you contact a automotive paint supplier to see if they can match the paint? They might even have the formula for it if you can get the color code. I would go to www.tcpglobal.com to see if you can find something close to it.

vintagesteel 05-25-2010 03:54 PM

Just go with Hot Rod Flatz. They have a blue thats pretty close to that. And it's A WHOLE LOT cheaper!

68jewel 05-25-2010 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muthstryker (Post 3995414)
The downside is its, 207$s a quart.. Going to contact the place that makes it and see if they have like a gallon or a volume discount..

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/x...06TrkSS-20.jpg

Bro, 4 qts equals a gallon. Therefore, $207 x 4 = $828. You may want to find another blue similar in color or very close to it. For a driver, I don't think $828 is worth it. Plus, you still have to buy clear and hardener and reducer. You will have over $1000 in just supplies. Hey, I'm not knocking it if you can afford it, buy that's just my opinion. And that is a killer blue. I have a Kawasaki Ninja ZX10, but not in that color blue. So I know what you are talking about.

muthstryker 05-25-2010 04:20 PM

The paint doesnt require a clearcoat or base coat... Ive though about trying to have it matched but I dont think it would turn out the same. I honestly dont even drive my truck that much, except on sunny days. It sits in the garage. The reason I wanted to go with that color was because im going to be doing my 67 GTO in the same blue paint and wanted to test it out, Ive done a few test panels with the aerosol version but want to see it on a whole vehical.

Ive though about the Hot Rod Flatz, But I keep reading that people have problems spraying it and it sometimes comes out uneven... I wonder if they can send out the paint sample shapes so I can get a better idea on the color.

muthstryker 05-25-2010 04:53 PM

I was just looking at TCP global, I think the Hot Rod Flatz, daytona blue might be to dark and the lemans blue might be too light for me..

68jewel 05-25-2010 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muthstryker (Post 3996646)
The paint doesnt require a clearcoat or base coat... Ive though about trying to have it matched but I dont think it would turn out the same. I honestly dont even drive my truck that much, except on sunny days. It sits in the garage. The reason I wanted to go with that color was because im going to be doing my 67 GTO in the same blue paint and wanted to test it out, Ive done a few test panels with the aerosol version but want to see it on a whole vehical.

Ive though about the Hot Rod Flatz, But I keep reading that people have problems spraying it and it sometimes comes out uneven... I wonder if they can send out the paint sample shapes so I can get a better idea on the color.

Unless you are going with a flat blue, how are you going to get away with no clearcoat?

muthstryker 05-25-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68jewel (Post 3996958)
Unless you are going with a flat blue, how are you going to get away with no clearcoat?

I wanted the flat color... that bike is a flat paint

Think I changed my mind though, Jetstream Blue Metallic Tintcoat. Its on the newer C6 vettes, Also the color of my cousins c6 Z06. Its really nice and close, just isnt flat.

68jewel 05-25-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muthstryker (Post 3996984)
I wanted the flat color... that bike is a flat paint

Think I changed my mind though, Jetstream Blue Metallic Tintcoat. Its on the newer C6 vettes, Also the color of my cousins c6 Z06. Its really nice and close, just isnt flat.

That's a sweet blue as well. You'll never be able to tell the difference unless you put the two right next to each other. And as far as the clearcoat, just omit it and no clear the paint job.

vintagesteel 05-25-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68jewel (Post 3997021)
That's a sweet blue as well. You'll never be able to tell the difference unless you put the two right next to each other. And as far as the clearcoat, just omit it and no clear the paint job.

NO!!!!!!!! DO NOT leave off the clear! Add flattener to the clear. If you leave off the clear, your job will be trashed in 6 months.

muthstryker 05-25-2010 10:29 PM

I think next to deciding which wheels to get, choosing paint is the hardest.

68jewel 05-26-2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muthstryker (Post 3997369)
I think next to deciding which wheels to get, choosing paint is the hardest.

I totally agree that paint is the hardest thing to decide on. Right now I'm torn between three colors...black, blue and charcoal grey. Black is the least because it is the one color that shows all flaws.

muthstryker 05-26-2010 10:42 AM

Ya, the body work has to be flawless in order to pull off black.. I though about black but seems like everyone has black..

pat 70/71 05-28-2010 09:17 PM

If you can get a sample of the color ie, side panel etc, some paint stores can match via computer not sure what the system is called but, i know they can do it. cheers, Pat

daverod 10-15-2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagesteel (Post 3997158)
NO!!!!!!!! DO NOT leave off the clear! Add flattener to the clear. If you leave off the clear, your job will be trashed in 6 months.

I'm going to use Hot Rod Flatz paint, Would I put a flat clear coat over this kind of paint?:uhmk:

foxhole 10-16-2010 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pat 70/71 (Post 4002561)
If you can get a sample of the color ie, side panel etc, some paint stores can match via computer not sure what the system is called but, i know they can do it. cheers, Pat

Dupont has a camera system for colors, aswell as some real nice flexible matted clear that can be mixed to different ratios to achive anything from semi-gloss to satin, eggshelll or flat or anywhere in between.

foxhole 10-16-2010 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4242765)
I'm going to use Hot Rod Flatz paint, Would I put a flat clear coat over this kind of paint?:uhmk:

no, hotrod flatz is a pre flattened urethane, just spray and it will dry satin.