The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hood won't sit flush (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=661015)

mpierce9 02-21-2015 12:16 PM

Hood won't sit flush

I can't get my hood to sit flush near the windshield. I've greased the springs and tried different springs with no luck. I've tightened all the hood spring holder bolts down tight bu for some reason this thing just won't sit flush.
Any ideas?

1975 Chevy Blazer.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-_...o/IMG_0827.JPG

rich weyand 02-21-2015 12:36 PM

Re: Hood won't sit flush

Did you lube all the pivot points? Silikroil or spray Lubriplate does wonders, but you have to hit every one of the pivots.

mpierce9 02-21-2015 12:55 PM

I've covered it up with lube. I'm happy to try again and see if it helps. I'll let you know.

Titomars 02-21-2015 01:12 PM

The hinge to fender mount points are adjustable. try loosening one side and lowering the hinge. But what I see in your picture is bad/bent hinges.

83swb 02-21-2015 03:10 PM

Definitely bent hinges, I just bought new hinges for my truck because of the same issue. The cab I'm using was on a truck that was hit, its possible that your hood flew open at one time and bent them. Rockauto sells hinges for about $13 a piece.

Titomars 02-21-2015 04:48 PM

The common cause of bad hinges is lack of lubrication at the pivot points. It is also what causes our square body hoods to bend/buckle in the middle.

bilfman 02-22-2015 02:47 AM

I had the exact same problem, was worn hinges. Got another set, problem gone. Had nothing to do with lube or adjustment.

TKCR 07-08-2018 10:02 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I did some reading on the hood adjusting. Mine wasn’t as bad as the OP, but it was definitely off after putting a NOS hood on the truck. It ended up being a pretty easy fix. Looks a whole lot better. Now off to get some paint in a couple of weeks, FINALLY!!

TKCR 07-08-2018 10:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Loosen these 2 bolts on the the hood, on both sides. Then with the hood open, push the hood up a bit further. This will make the back end of the hood, by the windshield cowl lower. It might take several tries to get the right location. The hood can be pulled forward or pushed back also, to make the hood flush with the fenders in the front.

Bluestep 07-08-2018 02:37 PM

TKCR, that is a very old thread. Your advice is for '81 and up trucks, the OP's was a '75. They are completely different.

Pontiac1976 07-08-2018 03:08 PM

just for the heck of it if you want to try this. I assume the original hinges were started to seized when opened. If you still have them and they are not worn out just seized try putting them in a bucket of submerged vinegar. let it sit for 6 hours then rinse with liberal amount PB blaster work the hinges well you may and have to attach them to a 2x4 5-1/2" ft and mount them in a vice. then re-lube
they should come back to life. re try them in the same mounting location.
good luck have fun.

Pontiac1976 07-08-2018 03:16 PM

Oh the 6HR min but could take up too 24Hr's for the vinegar depending on the rust.

TKCR 07-08-2018 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluestep (Post 8296640)
TKCR, that is a very old thread. Your advice is for '81 and up trucks, the OP's was a '75. They are completely different.

I realized it was an old thread, I just didn't want to have to start a new thread if this would help someone else out. Soooo, I guess I'll start one then.

mpierce9 07-08-2018 05:26 PM

TKCR. I appreciate the feedback on this. I’ll take a look at my setup and see if your approach will help. I know it’s an old thread, but my hood still looks like it did in the original post. Thanks again.

TKCR 07-08-2018 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpierce9 (Post 8296739)
TKCR. I appreciate the feedback on this. I’ll take a look at my setup and see if your approach will help. I know it’s an old thread, but my hood still looks like it did in the original post. Thanks again.

I knew the hoods were different from the 70's to the 80's, but I just assumed the concept of the hinge adjustment would be similar. Hopefully it will help.:metal:

truckin 79 07-08-2018 09:15 PM

The hinge where it connects to fender should adjust that. Loosen the 2 bolts but the 1 closest to firewall is the key adjustment. You want that rear bolt adjuster pushed down almost all the way. Test hood slowly though when making adjustments. It is key to lubricate hinges as well. I use a combo of axle grease and wd-40 on hinges.

LT7A 07-09-2018 02:46 PM

TKCR, good work attaching to a previous thread. I routinely read threads much older than when this was initially posted. It puts relevant info in the same place for searches and even reached the OP!

TKCR 07-09-2018 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 8297308)
TKCR, good work attaching to a previous thread. I routinely read threads much older than when this was initially posted. It puts relevant info in the same place for searches and even reached the OP!

Thank you for recognizing and mentioning that :metal:, especially since it was brought to my attention that this was an "old thread". But that's ok, that's why I posted it here, hoping it would help others especially the OP.

nascarmikeb 07-16-2018 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8296687)
I realized it was an old thread, I just didn't want to have to start a new thread if this would help someone else out. Soooo, I guess I'll start one then.

It helped me out. I have re-installed my hood, "87 GMC r10 and I have too big of a gap at the rear of the hood. I have to figure out the correct adjustment to close that gap.

Mike