The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Post a real Cheyenne Super only (aka the defiinitive Cheyenne Super thread)! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=729469)

jocko 02-04-2017 11:52 PM

Post a real Cheyenne Super only (aka the defiinitive Cheyenne Super thread)!

5 Attachment(s)
There are Cheyenne Supers sprinkled throughout the whole forum, but for the life of me, I couldn't find a "post your Super" thread. So, assuming someone doesn't shoot me in the forehead with exactly such a link in the next five minutes, I thought this might be a good idea. There are tons of recurring questions about what makes a Super a Super - and it's got to be about the most cloned and imitated trim package out there. I'll post a few pics to get the ball rolling and then please add on. Historical/technical option info highly desired - and post a pic of yours or one you've got a picture of as long as you know it's a no-kidding YE9 RPO Cheyenne Super.

First, some tidbits (or, more appropriately stated, "what I think I know!" Ha)...
  • Introduced in 1971, the Cheyenne Super (RPO YE9) was only available for two production years in THIS body style, but it continued into the square era.
  • The Cheyenne Super package was the highest trim level of 4 different trim packages (Custom (base model), Custom Deluxe, Cheyenne, and Cheyenne Super)
  • The package included the following items above and beyond the Cheyenne trim level: woodgrain instrument cluster bezel, woodgrain glovebox door applique over an aluminum trim pan with a Cheyenne Super badge in the lower right corner of the woodgrain, "Super" fender emblems under the Cheyenne nameplate, bright tailgate handle (chrome handle in 71, stainless slip cover in 72), Custom Cloth seat cover "aka houndstooth" available in parchment, blue and olive (only).
  • Buckets could also be ordered, but the factory only made them with vinyl covers (no houndstooth).
  • The Super emblem is "left justified" under the Cheyenne emblem. However, as has been noted with the Custom Deluxe trim level trucks, some factories centered the "Deluxe" emblem below the Custom emblem (a hint that it may be a Janesville truck), and some Cheyenne Supers have been produced that way as well - with a centered Super emblem.
  • In 1971, a Z81 CustomCamper nameplate would supersede the Cheyenne Super emblems on the fender if both were ordered. In 1972, the CustomCamper nameplate was moved to the doors, so 72 was the only year you could ever see Cheyenne Super emblems and the Custom Camper script on the same truck.
  • There's no such thing as a "Super Cheyenne" :)

Some pics: The first four are the introductory brochure in 71 (hope the first two display side by side for you), the last pic is from the 72 sales brochure, showing the upgrade from a Cheyenne to a Cheyenne Super.

jocko 02-04-2017 11:53 PM

Re: Post a real Cheyenne Super only (aka the defiinitive Cheyenne Super thread)!

4 Attachment(s)
Here are the two Supers I've owned (still have the 72 K20). The medium olive C20 is a 71. I guess I like green! Looking forward to seeing some of my favorite Cheyenne Supers posted!

Jcfcamaro 02-05-2017 12:09 AM

Re: Post a real Cheyenne Super only (aka the defiinitive Cheyenne Super thread)!

Love this. My buddy has a 72 c10 super short bed 402 truck. Bucket seats ect

68bowtie 02-05-2017 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcfcamaro (Post 7848747)
Love this. My buddy has a 72 c10 super short bed 402 truck. Bucket seats ect

ok now we're talking let's see that spid!

great thread idea jocko

too much stuff 02-05-2017 12:22 AM

jocko, nice looking trucks! If it would help, I can post pics of quite a few spid pics. If you want to keep this for trucks that still exist, that is fine.

Jcfcamaro 02-05-2017 12:25 AM

I'll get some pictures. Bad thing us it's sitting in the fence row. And no he won't sell it.

tommys72 02-05-2017 12:38 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Heres my junk. Not the highest optioned super ever, but still a super

Chevyland 02-05-2017 12:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I suggest we should post spid picture, along with truck pictures

Chevyland 02-05-2017 12:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
As you can see from spid, this truck was originally
Medium blue top with dark blue body

Chevyland 02-05-2017 01:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
interior

jocko 02-05-2017 01:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
good call Chevyland - here are the SPIDs for my two in post #2:

Chevyland 02-05-2017 01:11 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Opposite color combo
Highly optioned truck
Worth a fraction of a shortbed

I'm sure it cost plenty more than the shortbed, when new

jocko 02-05-2017 01:14 AM

THAT is one of my favorite trucks. If it were a K, I'd have fainted already... Really, really nice truck.
This is fun - am looking fwd to seeing a few more of my absolute favorites posted... Pete, Sameyrasmea, c'mon out!

68bowtie 02-05-2017 03:25 AM

a new member posted in the welcome area just before this thread was posted. his username is "bigblocksuper". his avatar pic looks like it could be a swb (hard to tell though). either way, hoping he posts some more info.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 02-05-2017 04:10 AM

What's RPO?

Here's the beater. Has everything but the chrome tailgate handle. Course the tailgate is thrashed. Don't know how common, but it's got a piece of trim that runs down the center of the hood. Probably common for Super. Couple of buttons on the cowl panel. I hear that's for a tarp (couldn't tell ya).............. I'll take some more pics in the morning. It's the real deal, less the rust and manipulations anyway (e.g., paint)

My step-dad says I'm restoring the wrong truck..............Ha!

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...e2&oe=591C0B10

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...94&oe=590DDE77

tristan 02-05-2017 07:41 AM

Jocko, luv the thread. One minor clarification request - didn't the Super option come out late in the 1971 model year? Thought I read that somewhere. That would make it a 1.5 or 1.25 year option rather than 2 years. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

52napco 02-05-2017 09:46 AM

3 Attachment(s)
First let me say I need my flipping head examined for selling the green K20
😅😅😅😅😅 but heres my big block super I bought in Phoenix

robs71 02-05-2017 10:29 AM

5 Attachment(s)
picked this up for a knock around truck,scrap runner,pick up parts etc etc.Original owner added bumper guards,tilt,in dash tach,replaced am with correct am/fm,rally wheels....90,000 miles,leaving it as is..just a good old dependable truck that happened to be a real 72 super.

67swb72klb 02-05-2017 10:31 AM

I have had 3 72 Supers over the years a K10,C10 and a C20 All I have is the glove box from the k10 because I did a body swap...
Great idea for a thread!!

Joesjunk 02-05-2017 10:48 AM

Jocko, I sure like that K/20, I also liked your medium olive C/20

Chevyland 02-05-2017 11:08 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Blue sure is winning now
Here's a green one to ad to the list
I'm looking forward to see how many other colors this thread can come up with

robs71 02-05-2017 11:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Have been building this 72 c20 super for the last few years.This is one of those frame up jobs that you have way to much $$ invested..so you just keep plowing through....will look as original as I can get it minus the driveline.

DeadheadNM 02-05-2017 12:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my 72 K20 Super - original orange/white.

DeadheadNM 02-05-2017 12:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of the stainless slip cover used on the tailgate handle for 72-only Supers (NOS of course). As Jocko mentioned, 71 Supers made use of a chrome handle.

tommys72 02-05-2017 12:18 PM

Some nice trucks in here so far