The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Need sources for parts (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=299620)

brossow 07-16-2008 11:31 PM

Need sources for parts

Finally got my rearend back from the shop today after dropping it off back in May with the words that still haunt me: "No hurry -- whenever you get around to it." Had most of the work done last fall when divorce proceedings interfered with my free time and I packed it up for the winter. It's the stock 12-bolt out of my '72 but about the only thing that remains original are the housing, backing plates, ring & pinion, and axles. Everything else is brand new or rebuilt, including an Eaton posi and entirely new brakes. I had the gentleman at the shop put the finishing touches on it with getting it shimmed properly, etc. so that I could get on with the project again after letting it sit for nearly nine months.

Anyway, now that I'm getting ready to start putting things back together I find myself in need of the bump stops that go on the rear axle. (This is a leaf-spring rear.) Don't see them listed or pictured in the latest LMC catalog or elsewhere online, just listings for coil spring rears and I don't know if they're the same or not. Any help?

I'm also looking for the most economical stainless full brake line kit. Suggestions? Obviously I can do the research myself but if someone has already done it I'd love to benefit from your experience. :-)

Thanks a ton,
Brent

brossow 07-16-2008 11:39 PM

Re: Need sources for parts

1 Attachment(s)
The attached picture shows the location of the bump stops I'm looking for.

joe231 07-16-2008 11:44 PM

those are bump stops, or think i have seen them called rubber snubbers, maybe i'm crazy

brossow 07-17-2008 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe231 (Post 2809667)
those are bump stops, or think i have seen them called rubber snubbers, maybe i'm crazy

Thanks -- tried searching on both of those terms earlier with zero success and thought maybe I was crazy. LOL! I can find parts for coil spring rearends no problem. Might have to go with some kinda universal bump stop? Really don't want to reuse 37-year-old originals (assuming I could even find them in all this mess) if I don't have to.

79gmcsierragrande 07-17-2008 12:06 AM

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...s.asp?cat=2330

I delt with this guy for my control arm bushings, body mounts, and trans mount. Good prices and easy to deal with, he sent me control arm bushings for a corvet instead of the trans mount and fixed it right away.

RunninLo 07-17-2008 10:19 AM

yup, rear bumpstops. Those look IDENTICAL to what was in my 72 coil spring rear end except mine attached to a slot in the frame and pointed down. Part looks to be exactly the same though. I've been using them as wheel chocks since I started my custom suspension. If I can find both of them you can have them. They're like new. I'll chase 'em down and try to get you some pics so you can decide.

Josh

brossow 07-17-2008 10:23 AM

That'd be terrific, Josh. Thanks! Don't spend too much time looking for 'em, but if nothing else it'd be great to get the dimensions so that I could compare them with mine (if I can find them). Makes sense they'd be the same for the sake of simplicity on the original assembly line, but you never know. All the part listings I found only referenced 'em for coil springs.

scotts62 07-17-2008 07:07 PM

Have you tried LMC truck? They might have them.. :chevy:
http://www.lmctruck.com/

jlaird 07-17-2008 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brossow (Post 2809651)
Finally got my rearend back from the shop today after dropping it off back in May with the words that still haunt me: "No hurry -- whenever you get around to it."

One thing that I have learned is to NEVER tell somebody no hurry. They will always take you up on it. I always tell them I need it yesterday. Sometimes I go to the extent of making up some BS excuse why I need it so quickly. I try to do everything myself because every time I need to send something out, it usually ends up being a fiasco. Competent people are hard to come by these days..

63sbssbbw 07-18-2008 05:57 AM

Those bumpstops look identical to the ones on a G body rear (MC,cutlass GP etc)
Wouldn't surprise me if they're the same part
T

brossow 07-18-2008 05:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Found my bump stops today after some digging. Wonder if anyone with a set of coil spring rear bump stops handy could measure theirs and see if they match mine. Thanks for the various replies! I've tried a number of sources and no one I've found specifically says their bump stops are for a leaf spring rear like mine. Sent a number of emails to companies as well and no replies yet, but I know you guys can help. :)

BTW, the bottom measurement in the bottom pic SHOULD read 2 7/8" and not 2 3/4" -- forgot to fix that before uploading the pics.

Thanks again,
Brent

RunninLo 07-21-2008 12:27 AM

mine are identical. 72 burb with 2 link/ coils
josh

brossow 07-22-2008 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunninLo (Post 2815349)
mine are identical. 72 burb with 2 link/ coils
josh

Thanks for the info! I added a pair to my Brothers order yesterday morning. Ordered a LOT of new stuff but like an idiot forgot to check out their brake line kits. Grrrr.... :dohh:

brossow 08-28-2008 04:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally got my order from Brothers (a couple backordered items were holding up the whole shipment) and wanted to follow up on this thread for anyone who may need the info in the future.

The rear axle bump stops for coil and leaf spring trucks are similar, but they are NOT identical. The coil spring stops are about 1/4" taller and 1/8" wider than the leaf spring stops. I'm sure I can make them work, but they aren't the same. Probably not a major deal but anyone interested in a "correct" part may not be happy with these.

Brent