The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rear Air ride no frame cut (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=844409)

Blazer Steve 05-10-2023 01:27 PM

Rear Air ride no frame cut

Hey guys looking at swapping coil springs for airbags not ready for complete airride setup yet..... Anyone have pics of air bags in rear without cutting and step notching their frames

1972 GMC

zicc1835 05-11-2023 08:44 PM

Re: Rear Air ride no frame cut

3 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Blazer Steve;9203031]Hey guys looking at swapping coil springs for airbags not ready for complete airride setup yet..... Anyone have pics of air bags in rear without cutting and step notching their frames

1972 GMC[/QUOTE

hope these help

Blazer Steve 05-12-2023 03:03 PM

Thanks Looking for the finalized ride height sorry should have been more clear... I think I have an decent idea of what I need though!

Steve

HO455 05-12-2023 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is as low as possible fully aired out and if you remove the factory bump stops. Rear tires are 15/50/295's.

SCOTI 05-15-2023 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazer Steve (Post 9203542)
Thanks Looking for the finalized ride height sorry should have been more clear... I think I have an decent idea of what I need though!

Steve

Final ride height will depend on the truck/owner. The height could be anywhere from just above stock height to ~7" of drop which would be where the rear-end is going to contact the rails & the differential will hit the floor above it.

Anywhere in between is possible.

Blazer Steve 05-15-2023 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 9203558)
This is as low as possible fully aired out and if you remove the factory bump stops. Rear tires are 15/50/295's.

Awesome! Thats what I wanted to see! TY

Blazer Steve 05-15-2023 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 9204225)
Final ride height will depend on the truck/owner. The height could be anywhere from just above stock height to ~7" of drop which would be where the rear-end is going to contact the rails & the differential will hit the floor above it.

Anywhere in between is possible.

Yeah I get that its fully adjustable, just wanted to see a pic of airbags replacing the coils and see ride height.. want to lower service body 72 as low as possible w/o cutting frame for now.... one day in the future it will will get pulled apart to do full airride, but 1st I need to finish my 65 which is taking all my shop space ! Thanks!

HO455 05-15-2023 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazer Steve (Post 9204253)
Awesome! Thats what I wanted to see! TY

That was with the truck aired out frame sitting on the rear axle and hard on the front control arms.

SCOTI 05-15-2023 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazer Steve (Post 9204254)
Yeah I get that its fully adjustable, just wanted to see a pic of airbags replacing the coils and see ride height.. want to lower service body 72 as low as possible w/o cutting frame for now.... one day in the future it will will get pulled apart to do full airride, but 1st I need to finish my 65 which is taking all my shop space ! Thanks!

That was the point I was attempting to make. The 'ride height' can be anywhere depending on what parts are used, what pressure the person likes, & what bracketry/how the bags are installed. Same thing for the total drop. It can vary depending on the parts combo & what the actual physical limitation is.

So you'd want to know what set-up the person is using (parts, pressures, installation specs) to go along w/any images they provide to narrow down your choice. Beyond that, it's adjustable as you mentioned.

Blazer Steve 05-24-2023 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 9204292)
That was the point I was attempting to make. The 'ride height' can be anywhere depending on what parts are used, what pressure the person likes, & what bracketry/how the bags are installed. Same thing for the total drop. It can vary depending on the parts combo & what the actual physical limitation is.

So you'd want to know what set-up the person is using (parts, pressures, installation specs) to go along w/any images they provide to narrow down your choice. Beyond that, it's adjustable as you mentioned.

I totally get what you are saying and have a completely airred out frame laying 65 so I understand all that... I wanted to see if adding airbags to the factory setup in the wifes 72 made sense instead of lowered springs and blocks I wanted to see more of the "aired out" look of a 72 with bags aired that are mounted in the factory locations... just trying to determine if I wanted to slam hers to the ground on static lowering job and deal with the FUN of driving a truck w crossmembers and control arms inches from the ground, or the flexibility to air up and drive the "lowered" truck at a more factory ride height. After seeing what I see, will probably just go full mods on her service truck! Thanks again Sorry if I sounded *****y.

SCOTI 05-24-2023 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazer Steve (Post 9206850)
I totally get what you are saying and have a completely airred out frame laying 65 so I understand all that... I wanted to see if adding airbags to the factory setup in the wifes 72 made sense instead of lowered springs and blocks I wanted to see more of the "aired out" look of a 72 with bags aired that are mounted in the factory locations... just trying to determine if I wanted to slam hers to the ground on static lowering job and deal with the FUN of driving a truck w crossmembers and control arms inches from the ground, or the flexibility to air up and drive the "lowered" truck at a more factory ride height. After seeing what I see, will probably just go full mods on her service truck! Thanks again Sorry if I sounded *****y.

No issues here & not @ all.

It's one of those grey areas when info is shared. I try to make sure the 'requester' gets the logic of knowing all the variables for a certain stance when making their decisions pertaining to parts purchases. Those parts and/or their bracketry can make a difference.

Keep us posted on the progress!

zicc1835 05-24-2023 08:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I measured my frame on my 71 with the bags aired out and its under 14.5 inches from the ground if that helps I don't have the step side bed back on it yet so no pictures available hope this dosnt muddy the waters........;)

Blazer Steve 05-25-2023 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zicc1835 (Post 9206912)
I measured my frame on my 71 with the bags aired out and its under 14.5 inches from the ground if that helps I don't have the step side bed back on it yet so no pictures available hope this dosnt muddy the waters........;)

Awesome info Thanks!!