The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Removing tweed & spray glue from door panel (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=556974)

JWall 12-19-2012 04:57 PM

Removing tweed & spray glue from door panel

I have a set of squarebody door panels that were covered with tweed a long time ago.
I am wanting to pull off the tweed & try to restore them back to a semi-factory look.

Any suggestions on something strong enough to remove the glue without damaging the plastic?

Also any tips for removing the tweed?

72BlckButy 01-07-2013 02:25 PM

Re: Removing tweed & spray glue from door panel

bump... anyone?

midniteblues 01-08-2013 09:30 AM

you can try a heat gun some glues will release with the right amount of heat but you'll have too watch no too warp the panel.
anytime i had too remove lamination,veneers,formica or any other substrate that was spray glued(contact cement) I allways used laquer thinner or actetone and a putty knife to help to cut the gooey strings right at the separated seem. although I've never done it too a door panel so before you try it I would test a hidden spot before going full bore. also try some gasoline. I've used gas too take paint off the (abs or plastic) panels in the hatch/trunk of the pontiac and it didnt harm them at all and worked quite well it just required some serious cleaning afterwards also just be carefull with any ignition points in the area;)

I would imagine with tweed the juice of your choice should soak right through too the glue once you try a small part

JWall 01-08-2013 10:51 AM

Thanks!

I would just like to save the GM door panels & restore them instead of buying aftermarket panels.

I guess I will just have to try to get all the tweed of first then experiment with the different options of chemicals for the glue removal.

Tim Christian 01-15-2013 07:46 PM

You have to redye them anyway Correct? I would put them in a blast cabinet turn the pressure way down and blast them, Wash them, wipe them down in thinner and dye them.

Iceburgh 01-15-2014 11:20 PM

White gas....pick it up at walmart in the camping area....stuff you use in lanterns. Won't hurt anything and devolves glue

Grumpy old man 01-16-2014 09:23 AM

Use regular gasoline , I have been building interiors for 35 + years and it's really the only thing that will SLOWLY eat the glue and still retain the original grain on the panel ,Now of course you want to be outside to use it and away from any ignition source but it works and won't melt the panel like lacquer thinner or acetone will . the old tweed when soaked will release from the panel and then you can start the long cleaning process using gas and a rag ,many times the panels were covered because they were already damaged by the sun and dry rotted already , take your time and it will come off .

snipescastle2 03-27-2015 10:54 AM

Acetone and rubber gloves......
Ben:metal:

E-TN C10 10-08-2017 12:27 AM

When I laid carpet at Mastercraft boats we used a 3M product called Citrus Base Cleaner. We used it on everything since the glue guns sprayed all over the side of the boat and inside the plastic compartments. It was amazing and it doesn't smell bad either. I would follow with a degreaser since it is a little oily.

BR3W CITY 10-12-2017 05:50 PM

I have a clothes steamer I use to stretch and soften materials when doing tweed door panels etc. If you steam the thing first it'll loosen the folded edges and give you an easier start to "lift" the stuff from the door. Just like a sticker, getting it off in one piece makes life much easier...then you follow up by removing the glue from the door panel. Easiest way to remove glue is to know WHAT glue was used then pick the solvent; heat, acetone, alchohol, spirits/thinner.

The Rocknrod 05-03-2018 08:46 AM

Dry cleaning solvent.

snipescastle2 05-03-2018 12:25 PM

I would think 3M release agent would do the job for the adhesive
As it releases weatherstrip cement without hurting paint.
HTH,
Ben
:metal: