The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Old Navy 50's era trucks for sale (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=277529)

67Fleet 02-07-2008 02:12 AM

Old Navy 50's era trucks for sale

Guys, just thought I would share some interesting info with you about the Old Navy store trucks that are currently being sold on ebay. There's a ton of buzz kicking around about these trucks. I got a chance to personally view 4 of them 2 weeks ago before anyone knew about them while I was doing inventory for one of my store locations. The moving company next door had them in the parking lot. They looked to be in excellent condition in regards to the body and frame but they don't have any drivetrain other than rear ends. Frame, body, couple had sparse interiors. The location that has them for sale in Debary, FL (just NE of Orlando) apparently now has about a dozen of these and a few are 5-window cabs. VERY MINIMAL RUST!!!I'd love to buy one myself but recent divorce has tapped me out and I still need to finish my '67 project. Hope someone can find this info useful and bring one of these trucks to a good home.
-Bret

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Circa...QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.avatarmoving.com/trucks/

1LoC10 02-07-2008 02:14 AM

Re: Old Navy 50's era trucks for sale

thats cool, same exact truck is in the one by me in Indiana.. i didnt know they were at all of them.. sense thats the only location i was ever drug into

Bishops Trucks 02-07-2008 02:46 AM

I would love to get one of those.

Number98 02-07-2008 03:37 AM

How did you find out early? Do you know if they are ebay only or if you can just go buy one?

67Fleet 02-07-2008 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number98 (Post 2565240)
How did you find out early? Do you know if they are ebay only or if you can just go buy one?

I work for a plumbing wholesaler and our warehouse is next door to the moving company selling these. I pulled up to work for inventory Saturday morning and there were 4 of them lined up in the parking lot. Got a call yesterday from a guy from the warehouse that knew I was into old trucks and he went and talked to the guy from Avatar to get some info for me. Apparently they will entertain offers in person. Money talks! They seem like fair guys to deal with and at first didn't know what they had, but they have been getting a ton of emails about the ebay auction from people giving them more info on the trucks. I'm sure they're getting keen on what they are worth by now. I bet I could have given them $1000 cash that first Sunday and taken one home. :waah: Oh well.... I have nowhere to put one and the last thing I need right now is another project and hindsight is always 20/20. Hopefully someone from here can get a good deal.

Number98 02-07-2008 04:35 AM

I wish I would have been there with you, for $1000 I would have found a place to hide one!

I am in Atlanta, Ga. if I were closer to them I would try and ride by and offer them something.

Not that I need another toy but it would be nice to hide for a future project.

Hart_Rod 02-07-2008 05:42 AM

A word of caution on these trucks guys. I've actually been to the place that "builds" these trucks. It's in a small community called Delta, just east of Anniston, AL (it's halfway between Birmingham and Atlanta). These trucks look pretty good on the outside, however take a magnet with you and check out the amount of bondo in them. When they make these trucks, they dont fix the rusted areas with replacement stamped sheet metal - they build the parts themselves. For instance, I saw them build a cab corner out of a flat piece of metal (try that some time!). The work is done in a couple of old chicken houses by some illegal workers (if you get my drift), not that should matter. The only new parts that are put on the trucks are usually the grille, bumpers, and occasionally some emblems. Some of the trucks are fairly solid, but most of the ones I saw were pretty rough. I'm not trying to dissuade anyone, I would just say buyer beware.

R/

robin58 02-07-2008 05:42 AM

Currently at $5,100? That's nuts to me for something without a drivetrain.

By comparison this is a bargain:

eBay

Hart_Rod 02-07-2008 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robin58 (Post 2565368)

eBay

Especially since you don't get a title either................

Number98 02-07-2008 05:50 AM

Yeah, $5k is a bit much I think, I could use that to basically button up whats left on my 71.

Thanks for the info Hart Rod.....

67Fleet 02-07-2008 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robin58 (Post 2565368)

eBay

Sure it's a bargain at that price, but the reserve hasn't been met, and you can bet it's a heck of a lot higher than the auction price now.

youngrodder 02-07-2008 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 2565367)
A word of caution on these trucks guys. I've actually been to the place that "builds" these trucks. It's in a small community called Delta, just east of Anniston, AL (it's halfway between Birmingham and Atlanta). These trucks look pretty good on the outside, however take a magnet with you and check out the amount of bondo in them. When they make these trucks, they dont fix the rusted areas with replacement stamped sheet metal - they build the parts themselves. For instance, I saw them build a cab corner out of a flat piece of metal (try that some time!). The work is done in a couple of old chicken houses by some illegal workers (if you get my drift), not that should matter. The only new parts that are put on the trucks are usually the grille, bumpers, and occasionally some emblems. Some of the trucks are fairly solid, but most of the ones I saw were pretty rough. I'm not trying to dissuade anyone, I would just say buyer beware.

R/

That sounds about right. I looked at one up close at our local Old Navy in Michigan and you could see that it was a down and dirty job with a lot of bondo. I would not give much for one.

67Fleet 02-14-2008 08:37 AM

update: I put someone I know of locally in touch with the guys selling these trucks and he ended up buying 12 of the trucks. He said the trucks were in really good shape, he's keeping 1 and selling the rest. I about fell out of my chair when he told me what he paid, but I guess it pays to buy in bulk!

john 02-14-2008 08:48 AM

That truck is listed as a 1951 but it has a one piece windshield. Hard to tell how many year model parts in one truck.

tcb-1 02-14-2008 10:48 AM

Classic Truck Parts here in Kansas city has an "ex" Old Navy rig. Pretty much a shell with a quick shot of flat blue, stripped interior, stripped engine bay, and that's about it. I agree, a magnet would probably fall right off of it. But it's a static display, I guess that's the only thing it's good for.....

old Rusty C10 02-14-2008 11:04 AM

that one in yaphank NY is right around the corner from me i wonder if they are getting rid of the trucks in all the stores? im gonna see what i can do to get me one

50'sBurbanman 02-14-2008 12:58 PM

We even have those trucks up here in canada in the stores, and trust me alot of them i wouldn't want to work on ither. Its pretty hard to find these old 50's trucks up here with the demand, and its even harder to find any in good shape. I was at an auction this summer where i saw and old navy truck go across the block for about $6700. if you guys really want to turn a profit on them bring them up here:lol:

jorgensensc 02-16-2008 07:42 AM

Well guys, My wife managed to get her hands on one for me for the high dollar price of .....Free. The body is in pretty good shape, a little rust here and there. It was quite the Valentines day gift. I will have to one up her next year. The great thing is I have an extra drivetrain siting in my garage, along with an extra wiring kit. I could have this thing on the road pretty quick... maybe by next V-Day. i'm going to go pick it up in a few minutes. Wish me Luck!!!!
Shawn

tcb-1 02-16-2008 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorgensensc (Post 2580280)
Well guys, My wife managed to get her hands on one for me for the high dollar price of .....Free. The body is in pretty good shape, a little rust here and there. It was quite the Valentines day gift. I will have to one up her next year. The great thing is I have an extra drivetrain siting in my garage, along with an extra wiring kit. I could have this thing on the road pretty quick... maybe by next V-Day. i'm going to go pick it up in a few minutes. Wish me Luck!!!!
Shawn

how did she score it for free!? no wait a minute, who cares what she paid for it, she's a KEEPER!!!!:clap:

55dude 02-18-2008 10:12 AM

where are the pic's at?

entourageguy 02-18-2008 09:38 PM

Here's one on ebay.ca for sale near Ottawa.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...EWA:PIC&ih=018

jorgensensc 02-20-2008 08:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pic as requested. And yes she is a keeper. Can anyone help me decode this VIN: 10122c8423. I know it is the original tag, but one website shows it as a 61 Corvair.

orgalmeister 02-21-2008 03:50 AM

Sorry... my books have these trucks(AD) starting with a letter that designates the series of truck.D = 1508, H= 3100, J= 3600, L= 3800. Don't know where the #'s you have came from.

BigSix302 02-21-2008 06:32 AM

I think that is a GMC vin number. 101 indicates a half ton, 22 indicates it originally had a 228 c.i. engine, C indicates in was assembled in Oakland, the four digit number is vehicle number in a group. Here is a link to GMC site for you if you care to take a look.

http://www.oldgmctrucks.com/page0010.html

jorgensensc 02-21-2008 10:11 PM

Thanks for the info!!
I think you are right about it being a GMC since it says GENERAL MOTORS TRUCK on the dash. Hmmm I wonder if the front grill was different then? Thanks again!
Shawn