The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   4" Lift kit, Wrong U-Bolts (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=459519)

Mil-Spec 04-16-2011 09:47 AM

4" Lift kit, Wrong U-Bolts

Hey everybody I'm finishing up my "winter" project of installing my Rough Country 4" lift kit.

Front went on like a champ, but when i got to rear axle it would seem they sent undersized U-bolts. The I.D. of the originals measures at approx. 3.5 inches and the ones RC sent measure at 3.25 inches.

Any suggestions as what to do?

Contact RC and see what they'll do? Contact a local spring shop? Throw a ratchet strap on the u-bolt and pull the splay in? (half-kidding) :dum: :lol:

Anyone else run into this type of issue?

Thanks

propanemudtruck 04-16-2011 01:34 PM

Re: 4" Lift kit, Wrong U-Bolts

Over 1/4", I would assume you should be able to get them around the axletube just fine still. Cover the threads, tap it on the axle, should be able to get the plate on.

TheWhiteElephant 04-16-2011 03:18 PM

They have good customer service from my experience. I'm sure they'll send you replacements. I would not contact a local shop to make some for you. They are VERY expensive here where I live. If I recall, the last time I needed a set of 4 when I did my 14boltFF conversion I paid $95(!)

Altec 04-16-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteElephant (Post 4628320)
They have good customer service from my experience. I'm sure they'll send you replacements. I would not contact a local shop to make some for you. They are VERY expensive here where I live. If I recall, the last time I needed a set of 4 when I did my 14boltFF conversion I paid $95(!)

You got bent over. :lol:

Spec- Call Rough Country. They'll get you sorted out. :)

TheWhiteElephant 04-17-2011 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altec (Post 4628515)
You got bent over. :lol:

Spec- Call Rough Country. They'll get you sorted out. :)

Not when it's the only place within a 4 hour driving distance that will do it and I was doing this on a borrowed driveway on a one-day time limit to my daily driver. We all live in different places, altec. No need for the pirate4X4 comments.

Kabina 04-22-2011 10:23 PM

Hold one side of the u-bolt with the threads up and smack it off of something solid right on the arch and it should open up for you.
You might need to do it a couple times.

DavTay 04-25-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabina (Post 4640543)
Hold one side of the u-bolt with the threads up and smack it off of something solid right on the arch and it should open up for you.
You might need to do it a couple times.

I think that spreading it at the arch might get it around the axle but then good luck getting the threads back thru the spring backing plate (if that what it's called)

If you have the time make then send you the correct U-Bolts.

OrrieG 04-25-2011 04:12 PM

I have found wood working pipe clamps work good for spreading or tightening up u-bolts. Seem like on mine there was one on each corner that needed some assistance. If the arch diameter matching the axle diameter is the critical part (and length to get required exposed threads when tightening).