The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Newbie intro - 1972 Jimmy 4x4 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=783179)

Tallygator 03-12-2019 07:21 PM

Newbie intro - 1972 Jimmy 4x4

2 Attachment(s)
I just found this forum via web search and it looked like a good place to talk about my 1972 Jimmy. I have attached some pics. Been working on it for a couple of years and am pretty close to finishing. It's a 4x4, has a bumped up 355 making about 400hp, and has had almost everything replaced - and definitely everything touched. It came with the Cheyenne package and I made a few changes like getting rid of the wood-grain side and tailgate molding. I also changed out the wheels for a later model Blazer style wheels and I installed a vintage look updated radio.

Never really been a GM guy until I got this from a friend that was brooming it for extra money. I have always been into trucks and cool vehicles and this one had to grow on me for a couple of years before I decided to take it on as a project. Once it grew on me, though, I fell in love with the look and feel - nevermind the cool factor of the fully removable roof. Doesn't play well with today's ultra-safety-consciousness, but it's really hard to drive with the top off and not have a smile on your face. I'm still not a GM guy but I am definitely a '72 Jimmy guy.

It's been pretty easy as far as projects go - lots of parts out there except for a few. Who new NO ONE makes the "Custom" badges that go above the door handles!!

I have to get the A/C figured out. I have all the parts but I can't mount the compressor since the heads on the 355 are old style heads without the tapped holes for bracket mounting. I've looked at the Vintage Air brackets and they look like they'll do the job.

I also need a transfer case shifter boot retaining ring - don't know where mine went off to and I didn't think it was a big deal until I tried to find a replacement.

And I need arm rests for the rear seat - the truck didn't come with the rear seat and the one I found didn't have the arm rests - I didn't even know it was supposed to have them until I started checking out some interior pics online.

I look forward to listening and learning from you guys and maybe providing a bit of input myself.

too much stuff 03-12-2019 07:43 PM

Re: Newbie intro - 1972 Jimmy 4x4

Nice looking jimmy! Feel free to add more pics.

jaros44sr 03-12-2019 07:43 PM

Welcome aboard, enjoy the read...check out the parts for sale section, that bezel will show up, if you can't find it on there post up aWTB, after you turn blue

Great looking Jimmy, you do nice work
More pics

dirish 03-12-2019 08:43 PM

Sweet Jimmy! Welcome.

BIG BLOCK JIMMY 03-12-2019 09:00 PM

Beautiful Jimmy!

lks dcvn 03-13-2019 08:01 AM

Welcome to the forum from Columbus - sharp truck!

Sandtrap9072 03-13-2019 09:35 AM

Welcome to the forum, Nice JIMMY you have there!

Tallygator 03-13-2019 10:01 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the replies. Here's some more pics and I am going to check out the WTB and for sale areas as suggested for the parts I'm looking for.

When you're checking out the engine pic, don't bust my stones too much about the color-matched air cleaner with a rusty brake MC... I'm working on it!

Looking forward to a break in the weather so I can get this thing on the road.

A1971Blazer 03-13-2019 10:15 AM

custom boot ring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775036

Also to use a factory air set-up....... the alternator would have to move to the driver side
the compressor mounts on the passenger side

Tallygator 03-13-2019 10:39 AM

Thanks for the link. Yeah... I realized the thing about the alternator after looking at some online pics when I was thinking about making a custom bracket. Luckily, the new wire harness wires will be much longer than need when I move it to the driver's side and I didn't cut off any of the A/C wires so I should be all good there.

Another bit of luck is that my power steering pump is out of alignment because the bracket is junk and if I use one of these aftermarket brackets it will include the mount for that as well. This would have all been fairly easy had the heads included the tapped holes. I almost bought a new set - maybe I should have.

Anyway... live and learn.

simicrintz 03-13-2019 10:40 AM

Very nice looking rig!!

jaros44sr 03-13-2019 01:26 PM

You have a excellant starting point, much further along then most of us. What direction are you taking stock or something else? Our for sale section seems to be the best source of parts on the net, with honest people, and if they are not, they are quickly weeded out!

Post up your progress with pics, there is a saying on here, if it doesn't have a pic, it didn't happen LOL

What does the dirty side look like, well greased and lack of any rust?

Tallygator 03-13-2019 01:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is a culmination of two year of me deciding whether I wanted to work on the truck and two years working on it... these pics shows the starting point which by all standards wasn't a bad place to start. It didn't run and there was rust in a few places and some backyard repairs that needed attending to - not to mention the crushed velour seats! Other than that it was a fair beginning.

KtownK5 03-13-2019 07:01 PM

Nice rig! You are a little further along than I am! Any over heat issues? Typically the fan blades should be sticking out of the shroud about half way. Maybe they do and it’s just the angle of the picture. Drive it!