The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Electronic Fuel Injector? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746201)

BGarza13x 09-07-2017 04:55 PM

Electronic Fuel Injector?

I just got my 69 Suburban last month. Still working on it, one of my friends is recommending I get an EFI - Electronic Fuel Injector. He said it would improve my truck significantly. Anyone have one? Worth it? Difficult? I think he was recommending FiTech? Any other recommendations?

Alex V. 09-07-2017 05:17 PM

Re: Electronic Fuel Injector?

Spend a lot of money and time setting up a system that you potentially never get right and may or may not improve performance, or just get what's on your truck working right and enjoy knowing you possess the mastery necessary to own and drive a carbureted vehicle. :D

It's like the "LS Swap" fad, just in smaller scale. The idea that flat tappet engines and carburetors are so inferior they aren't practical - I say fooey. For most people the cheapest, most trouble-free way to own a truck of this era is to use stock parts and learn what it takes to keep them all operating in harmony.

Bigdav160 09-09-2017 10:48 AM

I love the fuel injection on my Suburban (port fuel). That said, a well tuned carburetor will provide almost the same driveability and fuel economy. The negative is carbs and point distributors require more maintenance. They just do.

Hotrodgn 09-09-2017 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdav160 (Post 8035583)
The negative is carbs and point distributors require more maintenance. They just do.

And they're hell on road trips through the mountains.

BGarza - Stand alone fuel injection systems have come so far that anybody can throw one on these days without knowledge of tuning. I'd definitely recommend a nice injection setup if you want to spend the money. If you want the nostalgic feel of driving 30+ years ago then stay carbureted, but if you want something that starts no matter the weather or elevation and requires little to very little maintenance, go fuel injection. Just do it right the first time.

hdman6465 09-12-2017 06:24 PM

The late model fuel injection units are light years ahead of the original units. When done properly, they are trouble free, make your engine feel 100 cubic inches bigger, get 2 mpg better economy. When done wrong, you will cuss them and tell everyone you know they are the biggest pieces of crap and a waste of money.LOL

HO455 09-14-2017 09:48 PM

If you go down that path do it because the challenge of making it work is why you want it. Otherwise the learning curve is long and torturous, making the truck no longer fun, but a chore. If you are patient and love technical things that you made work go for it.

WayneE 09-14-2017 11:06 PM

Something I came across when looking for fuel injection for my '72 - http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...-market-today/

Hotrodgn 09-15-2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 8039910)
If you go down that path do it because the challenge of making it work is why you want it. Otherwise the learning curve is long and torturous, making the truck no longer fun, but a chore. If you are patient and love technical things that you made work go for it.

The new systems are dummy proof. Self learning and very efficient. Bolt on plug in and go. They only people that regret it are usually the ones that thought they'd save $300 and go with "option cheap".

WH0DAMAN 09-26-2017 03:08 PM

Fitech for the win!!!! Their system works fantastic for the price. You will spend about $1000.00 for the unit plus their command center which pressurizes the fuel in a handy compact, under hood unit. About $700.00 for just the main unit if you want to configure a high pressure tank setup.

Malo83 09-26-2017 03:24 PM

Are any of these units CARB approved for us smog burdened Cali drivers :waah:

WayneE 09-26-2017 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malo83 (Post 8048512)
Are any of these units CARB approved for us smog burdened Cali drivers :waah:

It's in the link I posted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChevy
The Atomic system has a feature unique in the segment: it’s the only one with a CARB Executive Order (D-722), making it a California-legal install in 1987-and-older GM vehicles.

:thumbs:

Malo83 09-27-2017 03:34 PM

Thanks. ;)

A1971Blazer 09-28-2017 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex V. (Post 8034490)
Spend a lot of money and time setting up a system that you potentially never get right and may or may not improve performance, or just get what's on your truck working right and enjoy knowing you possess the mastery necessary to own and drive a carbureted vehicle. :D

It's like the "LS Swap" fad, just in smaller scale. The idea that flat tappet engines and carburetors are so inferior they aren't practical - I say fooey. For most people the cheapest, most trouble-free way to own a truck of this era is to use stock parts and learn what it takes to keep them all operating in harmony.

It's kinda like indoor plumbing vs an outhouse.....the old outhouse served the purpose well...UNTIL something BETTER came along.....and who still uses a rotary telephone? Hey they worked just fine for making a call....and who needs a computer and the internet..just "new fangled fads"....nope....keep up or get left behind.

The advent of the computer controlled engine moved the engine technology scale ahead by leaps and bounds....Were it not so, you would still see today's new vehicles with the same engines that existed years ago.....If you're old school...that's well and good...but moving to updated technology is too...

I have a Z06 Corvette...505 HP and it will get 26 mpg at normal cruising speed...all day long....try that with an old 427 Vette.....ain't gonna happen.