The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   55.2-59 Mustang II front spindles (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=779955)

GMtrucknut!! 01-21-2019 06:04 PM

Mustang II front spindles

I bought a TCI coil spring front suspension with stock height spindles around 6 years ago and have been contemplating lowering my truck with 2"drop spindles . Has anyone used anything other than the suppliers spindles on their trucks if they replaced them ? I am thinking about using Speedway's spindles because they are half of what the TCI spindles cost

mr48chev 01-22-2019 12:17 AM

Re: Mustang II front spindles

Even though the Speedway haters will probably sound off I don't think safety wise that there is an issue with them. They have sold a lot of them and I have never read where one failed due to not being made right and the haters would have that all over the internet on every forum and FB if there was news one had. Not as nice looking in fit and finish? that might be an issue.

I would search the TCI part number on the net and see if there is a much better price out there though. There might be that one shop that has a set sitting on the shelf they want to unload or that guy who has a new set listed on Ebay because his results were the opposite of yours.

whitedog76 01-22-2019 01:33 AM

I have a set of Helix Pro-Touring spindles, which are duplicates of the Wilwood pro-touring. Of course, they're made over seas, but I'm not going to gripe about the quality. The only quality issue with them is the bolts they sent for the removable steering arm. A trip to the hardware store will remedy that. They were 1/2 the price of the Wilwood, so I figured, why not.

I say go for the Speedway units.

MiraclePieCo 01-22-2019 03:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm using the Speedway MII drop spindles. Speedway is a big retailer with lots of clout; the quality of their units appears as good as any other spindles I've seen. The first set I got had a cosmetic issue, but of course Speedway immediately replaced it.

Installing drop spindles did result in a brake line clearance issue for me (MII calipers) but Speedway had the parts to resolve that as well.

slammed57 01-22-2019 11:34 AM

wilwood makes a set as well although they look different the are mustang11 based

dsraven 01-22-2019 03:12 PM

keep an eye on the rubber seals for the ball joints. some come off the joint and let road dirt inside the joint. mine are TCI set up so whatever they used at the time don't fit well at all. just a heads up.

dsraven 01-22-2019 06:09 PM

on that set up you may be able to slip a length of heater hose over the stud shank to help push the ball joint boot further into place. just a thought.