The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Drill The Brake Pedal (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=766287)

fredhlynch2 06-25-2018 09:52 AM

Drill The Brake Pedal

So,

Getting ready to drill my brake pedal for power brakes. I get drilling it one inch lower than the original brake rod hole but where on the pedal? To the front, in the center or towards the back? Seems you would get more pedal travel to the master if it the new hole was to the rear (closer to the driver) of the pedal as opposed to a front or center position?

chevy_mike 06-25-2018 10:32 AM

Re: Drill The Brake Pedal

Drill it centered, like the original hole. You want equal amounts of metal so you don't create a weak point and cause it to crack. It does not make any more travel, that will only happen if you lower the hole more. All it would do is change the length of the rod.

stsalvage 06-28-2018 04:06 AM

5 Attachment(s)
there is one bolt hole that you can use to lone up your booster that's how we all did it

theastronaut 06-29-2018 02:19 PM

Are the brakes overboosted/too soft if you use the original hole?

fredhlynch2 06-30-2018 12:26 AM

The brakes are not too soft. What I am experiencing is the brake pedal engaging too close to the floor. Maybe 2 inches from bottom. I have checked the booster to pin clearance and that's good. I bought the gage tool to be sure it was perfect.. I have the new Baer Master cylinder and prop valve with a new 90's Chevy booster, Capt Fab booster bracket and all new lines. I was careful to make sure the brake rod was not engaging the booster and leaking vacuum before pedal engagement.

The brakes are all new huge Bear disc units front and rear. There is just too much pedal travel before engagement.

keepinitgoin 06-30-2018 01:10 AM

Try adjusting the brake pedal push rod a little longer, and see if the brakes engage higher up in your pedal stroke instead of almost to the floor.

Captainfab 07-01-2018 12:48 AM

Drilling a hole 1" lower on the pedal and connecting the booster pushrod there will correct some of your issue.

fredhlynch2 07-01-2018 03:01 AM

Thanks Captainfab!

karlbenz 07-05-2018 07:47 PM

I used the original hole. I didn't have an issue

keepinitgoin 07-07-2018 03:39 PM

I also used the original hole in my brake pedal arm, like you did Karlbenz. Works good for me so far, with 250 miles of around town and some highway driving. Captain Fab's vacuum booster to firewall bracket lined up my booster and MC with the pedal push rod at a good perpendicular angle so haven't needed to drill another hole an inch lower. Was originally a non booster brake 63 C10 :chevy: truck and pedal.

Also, check your back brakes to make sure they are in adjustment, especially if it is drum rear and non auto adjusting shoes.

Check your Park brake adjustment too. My driver side E brake cable was sticking in it's housing, giving me uneven rear driver side brake shoe adjustment.