The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pa. state inspection failed. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=754319)

Myoldtruck 01-07-2018 08:42 PM

Pa. state inspection failed.

So I had the c/10 down to the local shop to get inspected. My christmas present to myself was 4 new ball joints. But I failed the state inspection due to high beam indicator in dash doesnt work, I didnt even know the truck had one. Right side turn signal dash indicator light not working.

Its been about 10 degrees here in Pa., Im just not ready to pull the gauge cluster out to check the wiring plug.

Barnfind46 01-07-2018 08:52 PM

Re: Pa. state inspection failed.

Sounds like that guy was looking for a reason to fail it. Is that even a thing in PA? Not a requirement in Texas.

harpo231 01-07-2018 09:00 PM

Not here either.

LockDoc 01-07-2018 11:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Myoldtruck (Post 8154639)
So I had the c/10 down to the local shop to get inspected. My christmas present to myself was 4 new ball joints. But I failed the state inspection due to high beam indicator in dash doesnt work, I didnt even know the truck had one. Right side turn signal dash indicator light not working.

Its been about 10 degrees here in Pa., Im just not ready to pull the gauge cluster out to check the wiring plug.

Have you checked the bulbs? You don't have to pull the cluster to do that, just turn the bulb holders 1/4 turn counter-clockwise and gently pull them out. I will see if I can find a picture with the bulbs labeled.

Edit: Here is a picture. The one above the speedometer is the high beam and the two at the top are the turn signals....

LockDoc

95 S_Trucker 01-07-2018 11:31 PM

I have my pa safety inspection license, and if the vehicle came with a high beam indicator from the factory, it needs to work. The same is true for the turn signal indicators.

I am surprised you have regular tags. It's easy to get antique plates in pa. You don't need to get your truck inspected with antique tags.

Jcfcamaro 01-08-2018 12:25 AM

You should have told him it only works at night time! Lol

special-K 01-08-2018 12:55 AM

Probably your original bulbs burned out, as Doc mentioned. No biggie. Take a close look at how the gauges light up at night. It could be one or more of those bulbs are burnt while you're at it.

weq92f 01-08-2018 01:12 AM

Talk about nit pickin, man alive. I got failed once for dash light indicating parking brake not working. Was easy fix in my case, but damn!

-klb

midniteblues 01-08-2018 07:20 AM

This is why I've been using the same garage for 20 some years now.

You never know if these shops have a eye on them. Some guys will lick and stick anything that comes in and if someone gets pulled over or in a accident and a safety violation is noticed then the name on the sticker gets a watch full eye on them.

I don't give any reasons for my guy to fail me and he knows that. But if they notice something small like your dash lights they would just bring it up to me and I'll make sure it's fixed before next inspection.

My guy has a 67 c10 that his dad bought new so we have a common bond and conversation material.

His daughter is the strict one if she is working but they know they don't have too pull a wheel or anything cause I take care of stuff before I go.

I also do pre inspections for a lot of family and friends cause nobody has the time too go back if they fail.

You can probably just reach up behind and change or just wobble them bulbs. The high beam one can be a bugger to get.

Myoldtruck 01-08-2018 07:41 AM

Doc thank you for the Picture, Im going to try checking the bulbs first like you said. The guys at the shop I go to are very good and honest, Im not mad or anything with them, its just how they run their shop.

I have regular tags because this is my everyday driver, about a year ago I decided I needed to do what makes me happier on a daily basis. My people around me I think would suck the life out of me if I let them.

You also cant tow a trailer in Pa. if you have classic tags. I tow a 1969 airstream safari.

rockyrivermark 01-08-2018 08:38 AM

my high beam indicator is a small red light one the top of the speedo guage. I can tell you that I can't see mine in normal driving position. I need to hunch down to see it.
just a thought before pulling the cluster out.
Mark

special-K 01-08-2018 08:47 AM

Sound like the inspection helped you out. It pointed out a couple small things you hadn't even noticed that I am sure you will be happy to now have working. The dishonest shops are the ones who flag you for an un-needed expensive repair they hope to get for their shop. For some, the inspection license is a license to steal. Here in Maryland it's a one time deal at change of ownership and it's a tough one. They say something needs fixed and if you want to get tags you have to fix it.

96blazr 01-08-2018 09:11 AM

[QUOTE=Myoldtruck;8154639]But I failed the state inspection due to high beam indicator in dash doesnt work, I didnt even know the truck had one. Right side turn signal dash indicator light not working.
QUOTE]

PA requires an inspection for Antiques? Or is this because it will be used as a "Daily Driver"?

Grumpy old man 01-08-2018 09:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up this '67 cab a while back and the new rule in TN is you have to register / plates when you do a title change . So this bare cab already has a registration and plates with no inspections here she's legal and ready to drive down the road ...:lol:

You have to Love TN

bbrriiaann1973 01-08-2018 09:19 AM

My 1970 this emissions and inspection exempt

95 S_Trucker 01-08-2018 10:28 AM

[quote=96blazr;8155008]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Myoldtruck (Post 8154639)
But I failed the state inspection due to high beam indicator in dash doesnt work, I didnt even know the truck had one. Right side turn signal dash indicator light not working.
QUOTE]

PA requires an inspection for Antiques? Or is this because it will be used as a "Daily Driver"?

It depends how the truck is tagged.

It can have regular tags, and it needs inspected.

It can have classic tags, and it still needs inspected.

It can have antique tags, and it does not need inspected

95 S_Trucker 01-08-2018 10:31 AM

These are minor issues, it will prevent you from inadvertently blinding other motorists with you high beams, and it will prevent you from driving down the freeway with your right turn signal on.

The good news is, the inspection station does not have to make the repairs. You can do it, or you can have someone else do it.

jocko 01-08-2018 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weq92f (Post 8154884)
Talk about nit pickin, man alive. I got failed once for dash light indicating parking brake not working. Was easy fix in my case, but damn!

-klb

Are you talking 67-72 or something else? If the dash brake light stays illuminated after start on a 67-72, it means that one brake circuit has failed (or is leaking enough) such that the isolation shuttle valve has tripped in the distribution block. There is no factory parking brake indication on 67-72. Curious what the inspector keyed in on - lack of light or constant light? If the latter, then he was correct (or at least lucky, if he thought it was a pb issue) - it was a real brake issue. If the former, then he was a knucklehead. I have heard of a similar situation to yours before, I forget which state, - but it seems at least some inspectors aren’t very well informed when it comes to old trucks. I used to love going to full service gas stations in a 57 bel air i used to have, just to watch them try to find the gas cap.

bbrriiaann1973 01-08-2018 12:02 PM

Just take the light bulb out so you can get it passed then fix it later

truckster 01-08-2018 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbrriiaann1973 (Post 8155131)
Just take the light bulb out so you can get it passed then fix it later

If the bulb is out neither the high beam indicator nor the turn signal indicator will work.

special-K 01-08-2018 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96blazr (Post 8155008)

It's because it's not registered as an antique. He has regular registration on it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 8155010)
I picked up this '67 cab a while back and the new rule in TN is you have to register / plates when you do a title change . So this bare cab already has a registration and plates with no inspections here she's legal and ready to drive down the road ...:lol:

You have to Love TN

I wouldn't mind that. Here we can just change the title and deal with registration whenever. But regular registration does require the safety inspection. One time deal and you are done as long as you keep it.

NGN 01-08-2018 12:58 PM

Here in Jersey , once one of the biggest sticklers when it came time for your yearly inspection, emission and safety , they had no way to check my emission for like the last ten years or so ,there alarms would go off as soon as I pulled in the lot with a good running 1967, lol ,now 1995 and down are exempt, not computer compatible to the new stuff. And all they do now is on 1996 and newer , check your car with the computer, no safety stuff. I passed with my 2006 truck and got my new sticker with my air bag light on and bright. No brake check and along with no front end check , tires ,wipers, horn, lights, blinkers, brake lights. Hey the air is cleaner but don't worry about that car coming at you with no brakes. What gives in Jersey? And they say guns kill, well I had to throw that in there.
NGN
NICK

Jrainman 01-08-2018 06:16 PM

After you take care of your issues ,I would go else where for the inspection ,The reason why is that guy should have known that it is most likly due to a simple light bulb being burnt out and they should have offered you to replace it and relizie its a 10 min fix , Another words the guy who inspected you truck has know idea of how older cars and trucks work and should not be able to inspect your truck .Unless they cant plug it in they dont know how to fix it . Yea thats rite ask me how how I know this

volksworld 01-08-2018 07:50 PM

remember jersey is the state where they don't think you're capable of pumping your own gas....do they still fail you in PA if you have any rustholes?

custom10nut 01-09-2018 01:17 AM

You say your high beam indicator does work, and the turn signal inside doesn't work?
Do the turn signals work right with the headlights off?
Mine is doing the same thing, but I know what it is.
The grounds on your circuit board. Humidity creates corrosion and causes the break in continuity. Clean all the grounds, clean all the bulb sockets, and add a light coat of Dielectric Grease to the contacts.
That should fix your issue