The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   What should I do? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645490)

dfrank 10-05-2014 06:57 PM

What should I do?

Right now I have a 2001 tahoe with 113,000 miles as a daily driver and my 1986 k10 that gets driven when it is nice out, but is going to be torn down for a full restoration this winter. I would like to get another square body for a daily driver. I found a 1988 Chevy Suburban with a factory 350/4 speed manual combo (I would prefer a manual over an automatic) on the local Craigslist that looks VERY clean in the pictures. I emailed the guy after I couldn't get a hold of him on the phone and he told me that he is selling it for his dad who will be out of town for 2 weeks. He told me it is very clean and the frame is solid and it has 146,000 miles on it. I think it was garage kept. Well the dilema is I really want it, but I would have to sell my tahoe or k10 to get it and I am NEVER selling my k10 (it was my first truck in high school). So should I sell the newer 2001 tahoe and get the older 1988 suburban? The tahoe hasn't really been too reliable. I have been fixing one thing after another, so far I have been able to fix everything myself but had to have the transmission done by someone else. The other thing is I basically know the square body chevy's inside and out and have a bunch of spare parts, but I don't know much about fixing any major problems with the tahoe with a 5.3 and a bunch of electronicly controlled crap. If I blow a motor in the 1988 suburban I can build a basic stock 350 for about $1000 and have it swapped in no time since I have done it a bunch of times already. If I blow a motor in the tahoe I have no idea how much it will be to rebuild it and how much of a pain in the azz it would be to swap it. It can't be too hard though probably just a lot more expensive. So do you think I would be better off keeping the newer 2001 tahoe or selling the tahoe and buying the 1988 suburban that I know more about and would probably appreciate more? Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance.

68Timber 10-05-2014 09:43 PM

Re: What should I do?

Swapping a motor in that Tahoe might be easier than the Burb you are looking at, but which one you want more is the question.

Edahall 10-06-2014 07:54 AM

Why would you have to sell a vehicle?. Is the Tahoe a daily driver driven by a wife? If so, she is probably not going to be a happy camper having to drive an old Suburban with a manual and truck suspension if it's a 4x4. If that's not your case, then it makes more sense to get rid of the Tahoe for the Suburban. I agree with you that these old square bodied vehicles are a lot easier to work on and have less stuff to break on them. They just tend to use a lot of fuel if they are a daily driver and they don't drive like a modern vehicle especially at 80 mph.

dfrank 10-06-2014 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edahall (Post 6868912)
Why would you have to sell a vehicle?. Is the Tahoe a daily driver driven by a wife? If so, she is probably not going to be a happy camper having to drive an old Suburban with a manual and truck suspension if it's a 4x4. If that's not your case, then it makes more sense to get rid of the Tahoe for the Suburban. I agree with you that these old square bodied vehicles are a lot easier to work on and have less stuff to break on them. They just tend to use a lot of fuel if they are a daily driver and they don't drive like a modern vehicle especially at 80 mph.

I am single so that won't be a problem. I am just wondering if I am making a mistake getting rid of a newer vehicle for an older vehicle. The tahoe just hasn't been too reliable though and I am fine with giving up 2-3 mpg for reliability and would prefer a manual transmission. I have to sell one of the vehicles too get it and like I said I will not sell my k10. The k10 is getting torn down this winter for a full restoration so it will be out of service for a few years. If I have to take a long road trip on the highway I could always take one of our company vehicles which are a 05 2500hd sierra with a 6.0l or a 95 chevy 1500 with a 4.3l and 5 speed manual which gets around 20-25 mpg so highway trips aren't much of a problem. I am usually only on the highway's when I am driving a company vehicle for work or if I drive one of my own personal vehicles the company pays for the fuel. Here is the link tk the suburban if you wanted to check it out. I belive it is a 1/2 ton but it is hard to tell in the pictures. http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4650160662.html

68Timber 10-06-2014 01:24 PM

No way I would give up AC in my primary vehicle, just me though.

dfrank 10-06-2014 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUISER (Post 6869245)
No way I would give up AC in my primary vehicle, just me though.

I can live without AC. I drove my k10 all summer without AC just vent windows.

noco-k5 10-06-2014 07:44 PM

If I keep it and don't trade for a truck I will be using my 1990 Jimmy as my DD this winter. The thing has been very reliable since I've had it. My commute is short, but a friend drove it 300 miles from home without any problems. I think the simplicity of these things makes them a good choice for a DD if you can live with the rough ride and poor fuel economy.

dfrank 10-06-2014 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noco-k5 (Post 6869637)
If I keep it and don't trade for a truck I will be using my 1990 Jimmy as my DD this winter. The thing has been very reliable since I've had it. My commute is short, but a friend drove it 300 miles from home without any problems. I think the simplicity of these things makes them a good choice for a DD if you can live with the rough ride and poor fuel economy.

I can definitely put up with the rough ride and I am probably only going to lose 2-3 mpg with the burb. I think if when I go to look at it and it turns out to be a winner I will sell my tahoe and get the burb. I think I will appreciate it more than the tahoe anyway.

Edahall 10-07-2014 08:53 AM

Looks like the Suburban has been repainted and is probably the reason for the premium price for a 27 year old vehicle. Can't tell how good a paint job is on this vehicle from the photos but it can run anywhere from $600 to $8000 depending on quality.

They didn't come factory this way but a 5 speed NV4500 is much nicer. With the clutch pedals already there, you would be that much farther with that swap.

krazy_texan 10-26-2014 08:21 PM

I would be selling the Tahoe for that burb just me. Only downside is its 2 wheel drive