The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   72 Suburban - purchase advice on found vehicle (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=772671)

tch64 10-05-2018 05:39 PM

72 Suburban - purchase advice on found vehicle

I am just hoping to get some quick feedback on a suburban I found that I would like to purchase. I think it is a pretty good deal, not a screaming deal, but a good and fair deal for what it is -- what it is:

1972 Chevy 3/4 deluxe, 2wd
PS, PB, front and rear factory air (not currently working but all parts)
original 350 (professionally rebuilt less than 10K ago), all gauges work,
overdrive on tranny, electronic ignition, headers, dual exhaust
front seats have been replaced with buckets, but original seats included (all three rows and in good shape) - also has all rear cargo and door panels, dash intact

there is very little rust on this vehicle, and what there is, is only surface and easily taken care of -- it does need paint and a bunch of tlc - it is green over green

I have been looking for something I can drive, and fix up over time. I would be into this for about $8500 by the time I got it home, maybe about $9500 by the time I get the a/c cranking -- from what I have seen, this is a pretty good deal as I have never been lucky enough to find anything remotely close to some of the finds I have seen here :)

just looking for some feedback unless somebody has one of those finds :)

thanks in advance

Average Joe 10-05-2018 08:54 PM

Re: 72 Suburban - purchase advice on found vehicle

Without pictures and more detail I feel that price is a little high.
You say it needs lots of TLC. For $8500, and in need of a paint job, I would expect everything to work well. I dont doubt there is that much invested in it Especially if all work was done at shop rate wages. That doesnt mean its worth that. If it was a K20 that would be a different story.

Perhaps in Florida the C20 Suburbans bring more money. IDK. If it were on the west coast that would be considered premium pricing for what you describe.

Just my 2 cents.

HO455 10-06-2018 01:59 AM

Take a look through the Suburban finds thread and see how this one compares to the ones listed.
If your happy with the price then go ahead and get it. If your not up to doing rust repairs yourself then you would be money ahead with that rust free one over a rusty one at half the price. Plus everyone knows green Burbans sell for more. :lol:

Bigdav160 10-06-2018 07:32 AM

Enthusiast in the PNW have the benefit of more examples to choose from. Suburban's must have sold in greater numbers up there.

Here in the south Suburbans seem to be much more rare and nice examples do bring more money.

Hidden rust can be a real demon. I paid $4200 for my 4x4 five years ago and it was running and driving. I probably have $11k in it now and it still isn't back on the road.

Post up some pics if you can

Average Joe 10-06-2018 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 8358105)
Take a look through the Suburban finds thread and see how this one compares to the ones listed.
If your happy with the price then go ahead and get it. If your not up to doing rust repairs yourself then you would be money ahead with that rust free one over a rusty one at half the price. Plus everyone knows green Burbans sell for more. :lol:

Good advice! Yes, green 'Burbs do rock!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdav160 (Post 8358142)
Enthusiast in the PNW have the benefit of more examples to choose from. Suburban's must have sold in greater numbers up there.

Here in the south Suburbans seem to be much more rare and nice examples do bring more money.

Hidden rust can be a real demon. I paid $4200 for my 4x4 five years ago and it was running and driving. I probably have $11k in it now and it still isn't back on the road.

Post up some pics if you can

Yes we are a lil spoiled.:lol:

The fact its a good runner with overdrive is also a bonus. All 3 rows of seats is also a factor especially if originality is a priority.

Im not a purist nor care alot about originalty. Rust free is a huge deal though! I think I initially down played that. Best of luck to you, and remember its your decision. You know whats important to you!

HO455 10-06-2018 03:23 PM

Oh and Welcome Aboard! You might drop a PM to Hart_Rod. (Of the SuperBurb build fame) I believe he is fairly close to you and the local market.
Good Luck.