The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   No Way This Is Stock (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=731967)

WannaBe68 03-05-2017 03:02 PM

No Way This Is Stock

3 Attachment(s)
I just replaced the window inner felt strip and outer rubber "seal"(?) strip. Since getting this ride I always thought the gap was huge, because of the original worn-out felt and outer rubber. With the new inner and outer installed the gap between the glass and the outer rubber seal is still huge!
Is there anything else that I can do to seal the window??

WannaBe68 03-05-2017 03:05 PM

No Way This Is Stock

3 Attachment(s)
I just replaced the window inner felt strip and outer rubber "seal"(?) strip. Since getting this ride I always thought the gap was huge, because of the original worn-out felt and outer rubber. With the new inner and outer installed the gap between the glass and the outer rubber seal is still huge!

toolboxchev 03-05-2017 03:21 PM

Re: No Way This Is Stock

I have the same problem. If it is a 72 door the attempted to solve this problem by putting a screw in the door just below the vent window.

If anyone has some insight into a permanent solution I would like to know also.

RenoKeene 03-05-2017 03:34 PM

There is a metal strap that holds the two sides together. These are often broken and need tack welded back together. That's why they added the screw in 1972, to keep that from happening.

notchbackgta 03-05-2017 04:18 PM

Before and after I changed mine, it was a pretty big gap too. I think the design is just bad

El Dorado Jim 03-05-2017 04:44 PM

x2,there is no way of fixing your door without welding the strap and that will screw up your paint

LockDoc 03-06-2017 01:08 AM

-
I posted some pictures of the brace/bracket/strap inside the door in this thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633866

LockDoc

Hart_Rod 03-06-2017 11:45 AM

The doors have a tendency to separate due to pulling on the door handle (poor design), try squeezing it back together.

HO455 03-06-2017 04:04 PM

I was able to tack weld mine back up without damage to the paint. Mine was broken all the way where LockDoc's is only partially cracked. I taped the area off with duct tape and clamped the sides in position. By tacking one spot and then cooling it with a wet rag and slowly working from one end to the other I was able to repair the crack without causing any visible damage. Cleaned it, painted it and so far so good.

WannaBe68 03-06-2017 07:08 PM

Thanks Fellas' - Mine is a '69 and am I reading things right in that the brace/bracket/strap is only for a '72?
Thanks again -

WannaBe68 03-06-2017 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 7877890)
The doors have a tendency to separate due to pulling on the door handle (poor design), try squeezing it back together.

So simple it just might work - I'll give it a go...thanks!

HO455 03-06-2017 09:08 PM

My 67 has the straps and I believe that all the rest of the years do. The difference on a 72 is they have a screw that goes through a dimple on the inside the of the door and threads into the speed nut on the outside part of the strap (you can see it in the photos LockDoc posted) thus pulling the two sides together. If I have to pull my wing window for some reason I will add the screw to mine. It won't have the correct dimple to countersink the screw but it won't have the gap either. I wish I had known about the screws earlier. GM must have too many problems and came up with the screw as a one year hold over solution till the square bodies came out next year

LockDoc 03-06-2017 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBe68 (Post 7878274)
Thanks Fellas' - Mine is a '69 and am I reading things right in that the brace/bracket/strap is only for a '72?
Thanks again -

All '67-'72 Chevy and GMC truck doors have the support strap and like HO455 said only the '72's had the screw....

LockDoc

70cst 03-07-2017 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBe68 (Post 7877132)

Per the rules ... please do not multiple post the same threads. Thanks

WannaBe68 03-07-2017 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70cst (Post 7878686)
Per the rules ... please do not multiple post the same threads. Thanks

No problem - sorry... Since it had to do with the doors/windows, which are the same on a Burb and Truck thought I'd get more feedback.
Won't happen again!

pritch 03-07-2017 11:45 PM

Would it be possible to add a screw (pre-'72) straight down thru the tabs instead of welding them? Or is it just as likely that one or the other has broken off the door instead of each other where they overlap? I'm sure I'll need to fix mine at some point soon.

HO455 03-07-2017 11:58 PM

Speaking from the experience I gained from the 3 doors on my Burban. Yes, if the spot welds had failed you could do that. However on mine, none of the spot welds had failed, the metal had cracked along the 90 degree bends. Basically the metal flexes at that point and over time it work hardens and then cracks.

chewychevy67 03-08-2017 12:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
If you look at the 69 71 blazers they have factory pieces that cab be used on the trucks to support the doors. This is what they look like. The screw goes in the same spot as the 72 doors. This tightens the gap a bit.

notchbackgta 03-20-2017 06:29 PM

My straps are not broken and my "4th" door has this huge gap too, I thought this was about the 3/4th doors

71BUCKET 03-21-2017 07:34 AM

Anyone have the measurement for what that gap is supposed to be at the strap and the rest of the channel. ?

Already Gone 03-21-2017 06:15 PM

Just learned something new about the trucks today. Now I know why the screw is just on the 72 doors.

WannaBe68 03-22-2017 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 7877890)

I spent an evening the other day "squeezing" the inner and outer doors together and the gap has almost completely closed! Now when the window is rolled up the outer rubber seal actually seals against the window. I'm assuming this will happen again down the road, but what an easy fix.
Thanks again for the push in the right direction!