The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Black Hills blazer build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=342299)

turp mcspray 05-04-2009 02:15 PM

Black Hills blazer build

Hi every one. My name is Scott and I finally paid for a subscription to this GREAT site!
I am from Rapid City,S.D.. I have had numerous 67-72 trucks and love the blazers the best.
I bought a stock 72 cst about 10 years ago. It eventually got a 6inch lift,36inch swampers,and lots of body damage. (the black hills have great rock trails) What was a restorable blazer was used hard. (yea I already kicked myself in the head!) I found another 72 cst that is very solid and am currently giveing it a full rebuild/resto.
It will be orange of course. 454 th400/205 a/c tilt, tach, 6 inch lift, aluminum slots, (love that 70's stuff), black interior, and a soft top if they are ever available again! I own a restoration shop so that will help alot.
I will try to figure out how to post pics so I can join in on the fun!
See you all later, Scott

Burt4x4 05-04-2009 02:32 PM

Re: New member from the Black Hills

Welcome from California. :mm:

bouncytruck 05-04-2009 05:51 PM

Welcome to the board from Seattle. Post some pics of both rigs!

swyfor5 05-04-2009 07:29 PM

Welcome aboard! Do like I did and get your kid to help with pic's- they are great with this computer stuff! Great Lake state welcomes you to the greatest K5 forum out there!

70gmcjimmy 05-04-2009 09:48 PM

Hello Scott,

Welcome from Rapid City! Sounds like you have a great time riding in the hills. Is your ride orange right now? I was sitting at the Elk Vale McD's last Saturday and saw a lifted Blazer going north that had the hardtop and body was painted orange. It looked pretty nice but I was quite a long ways away. What shop do you own?

I live in Green Valley and work just across the crick so I don't get out much!! :-}

Later---DAC

70gmcjimmy 05-04-2009 10:17 PM

I forgot to tell you how I do pics so I went to edit and got sidetracked by a phone call and when I went to finish it said that there is a time limit on editing!

I download my digital pics fullsize on my 10 year old Gateway, and using a $20 program I got at Sams Club called "Picture It" (by Microsoft)
It is easy to size any pic (JPG) to under 100 kilobytes as required by this site. There are a lot of folks here that know how to get around that 100 KB requirement but it raises hell on my computer when I stumble across them. Someday I will enter the 21st century.

Later---DAC

turp mcspray 05-04-2009 10:42 PM

Thanks for the reply! My blazer is currently broke down. (bent rear spring perch from last summer) Thats what got me going on my other blazer. Plus after doing a couple of Dakota Territory Challenges (I used to be active in the black hills 4-wheelers) it is pretty beat! My shop is called Scottrods and is on the corner of Seger and Dyess. Stop by anytime. Scott

bouncytruck 05-05-2009 12:02 AM

You're not getting off that easy. Ya gotta have some action pics of your blazer. We don't care what condition it's in, we all just want to see pictures of blazers.

vtblazer 05-05-2009 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turp mcspray (Post 3292896)
Hi every one. My name is Scott and I finally paid for a subscription to this GREAT site!
I am from Rapid City,S.D.. I have had numerous 67-72 trucks and love the blazers the best.
I bought a stock 72 cst about 10 years ago. It eventually got a 6inch lift,36inch swampers,and lots of body damage. (the black hills have great rock trails) What was a restorable blazer was used hard. (yea I already kicked myself in the head!) I found another 72 cst that is very solid and am currently giveing it a full rebuild/resto.
It will be orange of course. 454 th400/205 a/c tilt, tach, 6 inch lift, aluminum slots, (love that 70's stuff), black interior, and a soft top if they are ever available again! I own a restoration shop so that will help alot.
I will try to figure out how to post pics so I can join in on the fun!
See you all later, Scott

Welcome to the board, nice tale of the trails. ;)

turp mcspray 05-05-2009 01:06 PM

I will try and get pictures up as soon as possible. Hopefully in the next few days.

VA72C10 05-05-2009 02:56 PM

Will be waiting patiently for pictures ;)

turp mcspray 06-08-2009 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A few days turned into a month, but I think I got the picture thing figured out with a little help from a fellow board member.
I found a few old pics of my orange blazer that I had to take a digital picture of to download. They may not be the best but it is what I could find for now.
Here is my blazer in the beginning. Stock with rally wheels and some Mickey Thompson Baja tires.

turp mcspray 06-08-2009 06:05 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Next pics are with 6" skyjacker lift, 36"swampers, 6point cage. Blazer is a CST, Tach, air, am/fm (missing), Extreme tow hooks.
When I got the truck I didn't know any thing about the hooks. I thought someone put them on from a bus or something.HaHa!

turp mcspray 06-08-2009 06:37 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pics of my current project.

turp mcspray 06-08-2009 06:49 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A few more.

swyfor5 06-08-2009 06:54 PM

Looks real good, keep at it! What kind of shop do you run?

turp mcspray 06-08-2009 06:57 PM

I have a restoration shop. I do body and paint up to turn key restos. And yes, I LOVE my job!

turp mcspray 06-08-2009 07:21 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Oh, here are a few "action" shots. I will try to find some more.

turp mcspray 06-08-2009 07:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
These pics were on a rainy,slippery,waterfall. You go up at an angle and with the rain I slid over to the driver side where there was a 18" or so rock on top. Rather than back down and take a different line I figured I would try it and see what happend. If you look at the pic of my underside my left front tire wasn't to the top of the rock yet. It felt like it was going to flip over! Believe it or not my wife and kids didn't make a peep!

OleSenna 06-08-2009 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turp mcspray (Post 3349734)
I have a restoration shop. I do body and paint up to turn key restos. And yes, I LOVE my job!

:welcoem: aboard from the deep South. I'm lovin' the color of your project, Turp, even though you're planning on changing it.

Best of luck on the resto! :metal:

turp mcspray 06-08-2009 08:07 PM

Everything I've ever painted for myself has been Black. It is my alltime favorite
color on a vehicle. This blazer was going to be black. Orange is one of those colors that doesn't work on everything. But on these blazers it really works good! My wife doesn't agree. She says orange is for fruits and veggies! She'll learn to love it! lol!!

JayDubBlazer 06-08-2009 08:11 PM

Sweet rides, I agree orange looks great on 1st gen blazers.

Yukon Jack 06-09-2009 09:31 AM

Thanks for posting the pics, enjoyed checking them out. Will be great following your progress.

bouncytruck 06-09-2009 11:01 AM

Thanks for posting the pics. Nice rigs. Looks like you've had a lot of fun with the orange one. You should check out how VTBlazer replaced the rockers on his rig with sliders. He also created some quick-remove door pins so he could pull the doors for summer wheeling.

swyfor5 06-09-2009 04:10 PM

Cool, glad to see some pics! I have always liked the orange too. I once had a 70 gmc longbed 2wd that was red. The paint was so faided it looked orange, to this day the wife and I argue about the color! Any pic's of the shop?