The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rear Sliding Window (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=395497)

theslawdawg 04-02-2010 10:20 PM

Rear Sliding Window

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted everyone's opinions on the rear sliding window option. The only certainty I had for my back window was I wanted it tinted. Otherwise, what are the pros and cons of a sliding window? Also, my 72 C10 Longbed comes with the stainless trim, after reading some previous posts on the subject, I just wanted to clarify that if I do purchase a sliding window, do I get the rubber seals w/ trim or w/o to fit it?

Thanks for everyone's time.

Sinister 04-02-2010 10:33 PM

Re: Rear Sliding Window

I have a rear sliding rear window. Keeps the cab nice and cool until I can get AC. I think a solid rear window looks better from the rear though. Mine has the trim, but I'm not sure about the aftermarket windows and trim.

travlinman 04-02-2010 10:48 PM

u can have mine if u want to take it out. I have a sliding window an don't like it. can rattle, air leaks, an it's not as clean lookin. as a single pc window. I'm sure it will be abit harder to tint than a single pc.

HOGDADDY 04-02-2010 10:56 PM

My new cab has one but it needs a lock. I am either gonna try get one or go 1 piece. Mine has all the stock trim on it but I don't believe the slider is factory G.M. cause the glove box sticker doesn't say it came with it.

Lets see some pics of sliders!

Mudder 04-03-2010 07:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I like mine but for a long time had problems with exhaust coming up and though it. Some glass guys hate the chrome trim piece in the rubber molding, but I think it really adds some class to the looks.

Old Yeller 1970 04-03-2010 08:50 AM

Since I run 2-65 AC, my sliding rear window is a must have and I'd recommend it to anyone in similar circumstances. But, if you have a good AC unit I'd stick with the one piece glass.

I had the chrome trim originally but went back with just a rubber gasket after the repaint. Either one is fine, IMO. Mine doesn't leak air, sound or water.

theslawdawg 04-03-2010 11:07 AM

Thanks for everyone's comments so far. This sounds like every other modification: user preference and product quality!

elf w/capital T 02-12-2012 10:08 PM

as sinister said, it does help out with the air flow and doesnt look clean one bit like the 1 piece...

snaus32 02-12-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudder (Post 3898145)
I like mine but for a long time had problems with exhaust coming up and though it. Some glass guys hate the chrome trim piece in the rubber molding, but I think it really adds some class to the looks.

omg I love your TRUCK!!!!!!!

Richardwa 02-12-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theslawdawg (Post 3898344)
Thanks for everyone's comments so far. This sounds like every other modification: user preference and product quality!

Both of my 71 GMC's have factory sliders, both leaked around the slider frames, rattle and grow moss and other green items. pretty sure they are going to be changed to one piece glass soon.

Sicklajoie 02-12-2012 10:26 PM

I have a C R Laurence and am very happy with it.
http://inlinethumb33.webshots.com/46...600x600Q85.jpg

bubba353z 02-12-2012 10:36 PM

I don't plan to put one in the 68 that I'm building, based on the one in my Toyota Tacoma. My biggest complaints are that the air blasts you in the back of your head at speed, any crap in the bed gets blown into the cab.

Mine came with the truck, so I didn't have the choice - but I've only opened it a couple times in the two years I've had it.

sbc10guy 02-12-2012 11:56 PM

I never did like the looks of the slider rear windows in 2wd trucks but the one in mudders truck looks great. That is a beautiful truck.

bobs409 02-13-2012 07:06 AM

One of my trucks have the slider window and I must say, I don't even use it! I have never felt that it helped cool the inside. When it's open, I can't even tell.

I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned this con: Forgetting to close the dang thing! For some reason, the few times I have opened it, it's hard to remember to actually close it again. :lol:

special-K 02-13-2012 07:35 AM

The only truck I don't like sliders in is a custom little 1/2t where sleek is the theme. Sliders are a must have truck accessory in all my C/20-30s and K/20s. I like Custom Campers so it goes with the look. If they rattle you have bad weatherstrip and should fix it,like anything else on your truck. If crap blows up from the bed you need to sweep your bed out. I always do because it's that stuff that lays in the creases along the edge that make the flanges rust...and I take pride in keeping my ride kept up. If exhaust comes in either your exhaust isn't run out from under the body or you need new weatherstrip. I've never had that problem. From GM all trucks with sliders had no stainless window gaskets. I've installed gaskets with the stainless,though...it's not easy.

1970 CST Short Wide 02-13-2012 11:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sicklajoie (Post 5184459)
I have a C R Laurence and am very happy with it.
http://inlinethumb33.webshots.com/46...600x600Q85.jpg

I too havre a CL Laurence electric slider and Love it

camrycurt 02-14-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 5185136)
If they rattle you have bad weatherstrip and should fix it,like anything else on your truck.

Does anyone know if any vendors sell a replacement weatherstrip set for the factory sliders?

Or has anyone had any luck finding some weatherstripping at Home Depot that has worked well?

I've got a factory slider that needs new weatherstripping and would love to know what other guys have used that has worked well.

Thanks for the help.

findog78 04-21-2014 10:16 AM

I see this is an old post but do you recall how much that CL Laurence electric slider was? They still have them on the site but you have to register as a business to get pricing? Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1970 CST Short Wide (Post 5185469)
I too have a CL Laurence electric slider and Love it

1970 CST Short Wide 04-21-2014 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by findog78 (Post 6638963)
I see this is an old post but do you recall how much that CL Laurence electric slider was? They still have them on the site but you have to register as a business to get pricing? Thanks.

Last price I saw on them was ~$450 as I recall

brown7373 04-21-2014 05:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a factory slider and like it. With it open and the windows down it flows a lot of air. My truck has a tonneau so I get no blow back, but I had it off for a couple weeks and as someone said, any leaves of other trash in the bed gets sucked into the cab. This picture shows a tree that broke a branch and wound up on my hood. Fortunately it caused no damage.

BlacklandCamper 04-21-2014 07:08 PM

I have the factory slider in my '71 C20, and the only issue I have right now besides the seals, is one piece of glass is missing. Going to talk to a few local glass guys to see if I can get away with just replacing the one piece.

Have a sliding rear in my Nissan, so I have gotten used to having one after 20 years. I do like how clean the one piece glass looks, but to me, a sliding rear looks proper for a single cab truck.

BADAZ chevy guy 04-21-2014 07:26 PM

Interesting... thefraze_1020 just posted the same question.

My plan is to sand blast a chevy Bowtie About a foot tall by two feet wide and then tint the window really dark.
I had a slider in my other truck. I liked it, but it was always a pain to open and it leaked air and water.

findog78 04-22-2014 02:49 AM

Saw used one for $300 but its about 4 hr round trip drive. Want to make sure I wouldnt be paying more for a used one than a new. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1970 CST Short Wide (Post 6639356)
Last price I saw on them was ~$450 as I recall

Rich72C10 09-25-2021 04:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Sorry to dig up a old thread but it seemed silly to post a new one. It looks like I have a opportunity to buy this sliding window for $200.00. It comes with the SS Trim and seal (I'd image buying a new seal would be the smart move). Though I am guessing it latches from the pull handles and not latching / locking from the center.

I'd appreciate thoughts on this window for $200, is that reasonable for this style?

elf w/capital T 09-25-2021 11:00 PM

Not my style but having one in my cab before i rebuilt it all up i do miss the extra airflow, but at the same time now I have heat AND ac... but i dont always like running the ac... good price IMO