The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Best pre bent brake lines? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=461879)

Mt Man Chad 04-29-2011 10:30 AM

Best pre bent brake lines?

It's been a awhile since I've ordered any stainless brake lines for rear axles.
Who purchased some recently?
And how was the price and was the fit similar to original lines.

Gene 04-29-2011 01:11 PM

Re: Best pre bent brake lines?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mt Man Chad (Post 4652883)

I didnt order SS lines, but original steel ones. Did the whole truck and they all fit great. Ordered mine from www.inlinetube.com

POPO1984 04-29-2011 01:43 PM

I'm happy with my inlinetube steel lines
Posted via Mobile Device

AJLChase 04-29-2011 03:42 PM

Do either of you have a non factory power booster in your trucks? The reason I ask is I was told by GMCPauls that I would need to bend my own lines to connect to the new position of my new Booster/MC/pro valve because it now sticks out further than what the stock manual drum brake prop valve did.

mbgmike 04-29-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJLChase (Post 4653264)
Do either of you have a non factory power booster in your trucks? The reason I ask is I was told by GMCPauls that I would need to bend my own lines to connect to the new position of my new Booster/MC/pro valve because it now sticks out further than what the stock manual drum brake prop valve did.

You will have to do that with any companies pre-bent line.There are too many combinations of brake set-ups. We sell Right Stuff products. In line Tube is good too.
No one offers a kit if you have modified it with aftermarket stuff. No way it will fit. Even if they try to, you still have to bend and reposition the lines to suit

mbgmike 04-29-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

as far as rear axles kits i have installed In line, Right Stuff and Classic Tube., they fit fine.

The rear axle is easy to make and all the above will fit fine. Unless they send the incorrect set:lol:

Gene 04-29-2011 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJLChase (Post 4653264)

No, mine is factory brake booster setup. My differentials are different than stock though, no worries just took care to make my lines conform to what I needed.

John H. 04-29-2011 07:04 PM

The Right Stuff Detailing, Columbus, Ohio. I have used them for several sets from trucks, Gto's, camaros and corvettes.

ItsRandy 04-30-2011 02:32 AM

Quote:

I bought SS InLine Tubes through GMC Paul's for a 69 long bed. I am still trying to get them to fit. Supposed to be identical to the originals...NOT!

turp mcspray 04-30-2011 11:27 AM

I have used The Right Stuff and Inline Tube. Very happy with both.

c10hevy 11-26-2011 06:49 PM

I know this is an old thread but would any of you guys be interested in buying a DIY kit instead of prebent lines? I'm thinking about putting together a kit with everything you would need, after I swapped a 91 suburban suspension and brakes into my 66 and spent more money on gas back and forth to the auto store did I get this idea.

Im thinking multiple feet of different tubing, multiple types of fittings, a double flare, and a tubing bender. Would that be something you would buy or would you rather have the ease of a pre bent system?

z10kl 11-26-2011 09:01 PM

You have to tweek all of them but I had to do a lot of tweeking on INLINE Tubes front lines. I always used The Right stuff on the Camaros and Vette. I will go with them nest time.

passthebuck 11-26-2011 10:00 PM

Run, don't walk from Classic Tube. Anybody is better than them. Sent me wrong parts & made it seem like it was my fault...

mcbassin 11-26-2011 10:35 PM

I recently did a full stainless set from Inline tube. The quality looks pretty good but it sucked trying to figure out which pieces go where. My chassis had no brake lines to look at so I didn't have a clue where each line went. All they need to do is put a tag with a number or a set of instructions to show where they go. They all had to be tweaked a little too to make them fit. I would think this is normal because stainless is a little stiffer than mild steel lines. I would recommend them for the quality but not for ease of installation.

special-K 11-27-2011 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c10hevy (Post 5032070)
I know this is an old thread but would any of you guys be interested in buying a DIY kit instead of prebent lines? I'm thinking about putting together a kit with everything you would need, after I swapped a 91 suburban suspension and brakes into my 66 and spent more money on gas back and forth to the auto store did I get this idea.

Im thinking multiple feet of different tubing, multiple types of fittings, a double flare, and a tubing bender. Would that be something you would buy or would you rather have the ease of a pre bent system?

Personally,I would either use pre-bent from one of the good companies mentioned (I've only experienced Inline Tube) on anything OEM or just get the universal stuff from my local parts store for custom. If I'm doing something custom I expect some trial and error. I already have benders and flaring tools. I even have some tubing and fittings in my shop. It's not that hard to guesstimate what is needed. If I ordered someone else's guesstimate I figure there's a good chance I'd be running to the parts store for an oversight anyway.

passthebuck 11-27-2011 07:58 AM

In hindsight, I should have got a coil of good annealed stainless tubing, some stainless rockguard, some stainless fittings & a really good flaring tool. I'd would have been so very far ahead & I would have done it exactly right & I wouldnt feel like kicking myself everytime I see the tubing mess I was sold. I learned a hard lesson. I _would_ buy such a kit c10hevy.

big_al_71 11-27-2011 12:05 PM

What I did was buy five foot rods of brake lines, then I bend and flared my own lines. It is time consuming but when you are done they look pretty good

mbgmike 11-27-2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by passthebuck (Post 5032354)
Run, don't walk from Classic Tube. Anybody is better than them. Sent me wrong parts & made it seem like it was my fault...

Yeah we have had the problems before with them. I would not say to run from them. If you don't know what to order as far as your power brake setups they generally will send you some straight tubing to bend yourself.

I personally have been upset with them at times. I still handle their parts cause they do make a good product. Sometimes they have shipped the incorrect parts so I know what you mean.

I like bending my own cause i think its fun. Its hard to get everything to fit if on a modified truck mainly. iI can appreciate the problems companies have in selling brake lines. I haven't found one yet that fits perfect or at least whatever perfect means. Inline tube,classic, right stuff I have used all of them.

69SWB4X4 09-07-2014 10:49 AM

I just ordered a set of rear axle brake lines for a 72 K10 and the replacements are 1/4 inch line instead of 1/8 and the wheel cylinder fittings are too big. The package is labeled 1/2 ton 4x4 but they don`t fit. Anyone run into this?

dfrank 09-07-2014 11:10 AM

I think classic tube has the best pre bent stainless brake lines. I got them for my 86 k10 and the company 95 chevy 1500 2wd. And they seem like high quality brake lines and we haven't had any problems with them.

CUSTOM/10 09-07-2014 11:28 AM

I bought SS annealed tubing, SS fittings and the rock guard and bent all my own brake, trany & fuel lines myself. I went this route because I had too many mods to my truck, so I knew none of the stock lines would fit. There's some new copper/nickle tubing for brake lines now that I here good things about. Easier to bend & flare than the SS.

I've heard good and bad things about the pre-bent lines, some fit great others don't fit at all. You could try buying pre-bent for the parts of your truck that you KNOW are stock and bend the others yourself. Just make sure you tell them exactly what your truck is and what year, because there are differences between yrs.

Gary