The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mount a sneaky MSD 6AL Without Drilling Holes? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=743516)

ShortCST 07-29-2017 03:20 PM

Mount a sneaky MSD 6AL Without Drilling Holes?

Want the strong spark, but I don't want any new holes, and I'd like to hide it. Anyone with similar desires come up with a cool solution?

onebigdog 07-29-2017 03:29 PM

Re: Mount a sneaky MSD 6AL Without Drilling Holes?

Sprint cars mount their MSD Box on the firewall with D-Zus fasteners. There is a mounting plate that the box bolts to. The plate is fastened to the firewall with D-Zus fasteners. They often need to quickly remove the MSD in case of failure and replace with new box.

ShortCST 07-29-2017 03:38 PM

Wondering if some really strong rare earth magnets, bonded to the module housing, would work, or if they'd cause interference.

lovemy71s 07-30-2017 12:24 AM

we just did a buddys and mounted it under the battery tray on the radiator support we used tiny screws so its a little noticeable if you look close but barely. Ran any wires we needed in the groove along the firewall, down behind the blower motor, inside the fender and down. I wish I had some pictures. He wanted a super clean look and that's what we came up with

un4gvn! 07-30-2017 12:34 AM

I put mine inside my center console.

GR8-68 07-30-2017 04:58 AM

Mine is going inside under the dash seeing it is empty now with no heater box. Don't think I would recommend the magnets, someway somehow it has to be secured, if you notice the give you rubber mounts, I am sure there is a reason they want those under it.

Keith Seymore 07-30-2017 05:55 PM

I put mine inside the (unused) heater box. Not visible from the engine compartment side; Rev limiter chips are accessed From the interior side.

garyd1961 07-30-2017 06:27 PM

I mounted mine inside on the heater box. You can see the 6al but all the wires are hidden.

ShortCST 07-31-2017 02:28 PM

These are all great ideas. I think I'll look into the under dash, then under battery tray ideas first.

Rufas 07-31-2017 11:08 PM

Anytime you can get electronics out of the engine compartment is good. Heat is the enemy of electronics. I've got mine mounted under the seat. Also keeps EMI to a minimum.

ShortCST 08-01-2017 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufas (Post 8004740)
Anytime you can get electronics out of the engine compartment is good. Heat is the enemy of electronics. I've got mine mounted under the seat. Also keeps EMI to a minimum.

If that's the case, then it probably makes sense to look at a mounting location under the dash.

I wonder though, at what point does the extra distance that the voltage has to travel cancel out any gains from keeping the box out of the engine bay. Assuming that after all these years, MSD has engineered a decent amount of heat resistance into their little boxes.

GR8-68 08-01-2017 06:37 AM

Your really not going much further just on the opposite side of the firewall, and using the proper size wire is more crucial than the distance I think.

biketopia 08-01-2017 07:46 AM

Remember those little suckers get warm and like some kinda air movement/space around them. My brothers is mounted to his firewall on the inside of the car since the heater box is deleted, but it's got plenty of air space around it. Be careful mounting it in places where they can get directly blasted by road spray and such. Unless it's a newer unit all sealed up water finds a way in, I had one mounted to my fender and rain water migrated inside the backing plate and shorted the box out.

ShortCST 08-01-2017 07:48 AM

Great tips guys. Thanks!