The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Insurance coverage (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=771353)

smith 09-14-2018 04:54 PM

Insurance coverage

Need some recommendations for insurance. I've realized that my regular auto policy for my 71 Jimmy is inadequate but haven't done anything about it for a while now and just talked with American Collectors Insurance who I was referred to by USAA. Their policy cost was reasonable for an estimated vehicle value of $12,000 but when we got into details is where I have problems with it. This isn't a 4 wheeling truck but it isn't a show truck either- just a good, solid driver.

I keep it in a locked garage and use it for cruising when the weather is good but I also take it for weekend trips here and there a few times a year when we stay at a hotel. They said their coverage would not allow for the overnight stays which is a big problem for me. I asked what people do when they take their cars to shows in other states, etc. and they said that was different if it was going to a show.

So there's got to be another insurance company out there that allows for something like this, right? Would love to hear some experiences.

I apologize if this has been discussed before on the forum but I usually hang out on the Blazer/Jimmy page and figured I'd get more responses on this forum. Thanks

Smitty 09-14-2018 05:58 PM

Re: Insurance coverage

Check with a State Farm Agent. Currently have mine insured for a stated value with AAA. But am going to check with my State Farm Agent whom I have dealt with for 25 yrs. At the time I went with AAA I didn't know that they offered this type of insurance. A local agent is more likely to work with you. I'm sure the other companies also offer a coverage and their restrictions will no doubt vary some as well. Especially with your type of use and storage.

Willys_MB 09-14-2018 06:21 PM

I've got Hagerty and it's a breeze. I ever asked them about keeping it at home or taking it overnight, though... Maybe it's time I give them a call

Kudzupatch 09-14-2018 08:02 PM

Be sure you understand the difference between Agreed Value vs. Stated Value Insurance before you take out ANY policy.

MACO 09-15-2018 01:32 AM

I have Hagerty insurance and am very happy. I have collector plates(pleasure use only) and the mandatory basic insurance through ICBC(Gov insurance). The Hagerty portion is $190CAN a year with a guaranteed value of $20,000. Includes flatbed towing, gas, lost keys etc. I needed the tow service when one of my push rods decided to punch through a rocker arm. Hagerty had a flat bed on site in less than twenty minuets and towed the truck to my house about an hour away. The driver put my truck right in the garage. The way I see it my Hagerty has already paid off for the year.

'68OrangeSunshine 09-15-2018 03:57 AM

I have my '71 GMC Jimmy with Hagerty. Agreed value of $10,000. Also Year-Of-Manufacture 1971 AZ plates. [Keeps me from having to run it thru emissions.]
I read the policy carefully. I saw no restrictions on mileage or using for work.
Last season, I scraped bumpers in a parking lot with a co-worker's not-so-late model red Ford Explorer. He had a plastic bumper, mine was chromed steel. I did considerable damage to the Ford. Just some faint red paint smears on my blue Jimmy. Hagerty paid the claim. My annual insurance premium went up a whole 10 dollars, unless that was for inflation.
They didn't drop me either.

saxart 09-15-2018 09:03 AM

I agree with the others....Hagerty.

Signing up was easy. I filled in all of the info on their online site. The next day someone called me to verify a few details, and that was it. There was not need for an inspection or even photos. Everything went very smoothly, and the price was great.

smith 09-15-2018 09:09 AM

Thanks for the replies. I did an online quote from Hagerty and it also seems reasonable and doesn’t have all of the restrictions that American Collector Insurance did. $267/yr for a guaranteed value of $14k.

stsalvage 09-15-2018 11:00 AM

So Hagerty has changed there stripes at one time you could only take it to shows if you ever went out to eat and some one hit it Its on you

Grundy Is different Unlimited mileage It has no restrictions.Check the policy

Bigdav160 09-15-2018 11:39 AM

Exactly, read the contract carefully. They'll tell you there are very few restrictions when there are.

I don't know of any collector insurance that doesn't

Like mentioned above regular policies with a Stated value clause have their downsides too.

mrtoni 09-15-2018 12:40 PM

Everyone’s happy with cheap price until you actually have a claim. I have a thread documenting my blazer that was hot when parked. Driver had Allstate and I had StateFarm. You should realize once a claim is submitted it’s out of your hands. My blazer was totaled out and I fought for a fair payout which I
got finally. Even when I told them keep their check, I wanted to keep it with a clean title they said state was notified already it was totaled and not registrable. I bought it back cheap but process def not fair

RustyBucket 09-15-2018 01:26 PM

https://heacockclassic.com/

Get a quote from these people, I switched from Hagerty several years ago. Hagerty wouldn't insure the '70 Nova when I bought it because of the nitrous system. No claims with Hagerty. I insured both trucks PLUS the Nova for a little less than just the trucks w/Hagerty. Had a windshield repair on the GMC recently, nice service, no deductible. No restrictions on use I can't live with. I sold the Nova but have the two trucks and an enclosed car trailer insured with them. Argeed value, $25k on the Blazer, $20k on the GMC & $9k on the trailer and the premium is a little under $600 a yr. Never had and hope I never have a major claim but they get a lot of good reviews.

Graham57a 09-16-2018 12:42 PM

I’ve got mine covered with Condon Skelly. In NC they can’t insure liability so I pay like $15 a month to have liability with State Farm (same policy as our daily drivers) and have a separate policy to cover the value of the old trucks with Condon Skelly on a comp collision only policy. Cost me $350 a year to have full agreed upon value coverage on my 72 jimmy and my orange 72 Chevy with values that I set and zero push back from them. No claims so far but they were great to work with on the front end.

LostMy65 10-23-2018 04:34 PM

Mine is not, or ever will be worth more than $3000 to me.
I only drive it about 10 times a year.
It's a truck, and only used as a truck.
My daily driver is a 2010 crv, and as my only vehicle, I still only drove it a maximum of 6000 miles a year. I bought it November 2009, and it just now odometered to 50,000.

LostMy65 10-23-2018 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyBucket (Post 8344906)

Get a quote from these people, ......

Thanks.
I just sent them an email for a quote.
I'll post back what I hear.

weq92f 10-23-2018 07:06 PM

Have had Hagerty on agreed value policy for over 2 years. Recently got hit from behind while returning from a show ( chould have been doing anything in my truck not just at a show ). Hagerty agents basically convinced me to allow them to cover my damage rather than going with the other insurance.

In the process now of getting the claim details together but so far it's been very well handled by Hagerty. They are going to pay whatever price it takes at whatever shop I choose. They will then go and see about recouping as much of that as possible from the at-fault driver's insurance.

When I setup the policy to begin with, it was just as other have noted. After I sent pictures I received a call and a price increase when they noticed it had a BBC engine rather than a "stock" engine. Just a cash grab IMO, but the pricing is still very good for what I'm insured for.

Hth,

-klb

LostMy65 10-27-2018 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyBucket (Post 8344906)

Get a quote from these people, ......

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostMy65 (Post 8370306)
Thanks.
I just sent them an email for a quote.
I'll post back what I hear.

They said they only cover show vehicles.

'68OrangeSunshine 10-27-2018 10:27 PM

Hagerty didn't drop me when my '71 Jimmy accidently hooked bumpers with a late model Ford explorer. My steel chrome bumper tore up his plastic bumper. Undetectable damage to the GMC. My fault, no contest. They paid on the other guy's claim, he's satisfied. This occurred at work. I took no pains to hide the fact I was using it for work. They didn't care.
My premiums did go up this year. A whole $10.

jocko 10-27-2018 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 8344507)
Check with a State Farm Agent. Currently have mine insured for a stated value with AAA. But am going to check with my State Farm Agent whom I have dealt with for 25 yrs. At the time I went with AAA I didn't know that they offered this type of insurance. A local agent is more likely to work with you. I'm sure the other companies also offer a coverage and their restrictions will no doubt vary some as well. Especially with your type of use and storage.

I had State Farm for ever. Local guy in my town. Great friend til I had an accident. They were horrible, never again.

For stated value, recommend Hagerty. There will be restrictions on miles, storage facility, etc, etc. but they seemed reasonable about everything. Hard to find a stated value with no mileage restrictions or that allows you to park on the street.

Shoot, now I can't remember WHO I had - Hagerty or Grundy - not with them anymore, I have nothing of value :)

jocko 10-27-2018 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 8372945)
Hagerty didn't drop me when my '71 Jimmy accidently hooked bumpers with a late model Ford explorer. My steel chrome bumper tore up his plastic bumper. Undetectable damage to the GMC. My fault, no contest. They paid on the other guy's claim, he's satisfied. This occurred at work. I took no pains to hide the fact I was using it for work. They didn't care.
My premiums did go up this year. A whole $10.

That is very good to hear that someone has had this experience with them - I like Hagerty, but never put them to the test!

vics stuff 10-28-2018 01:05 AM

I have JC Taylor. They are the grandfather of antique/ classic / street trod insurance company. Had them for over 30 years . Did have a incident where they stepped up to the plate and took care of me and my car.
My 72 Chevy short bed original truck runs $185.00 for $15,000.00 stated value coverage per year.
Vic

diesel burner 10-29-2018 02:57 PM

I've been with State Farm for over 30 years and my agent is amazing. I pay $26 per month for full coverage on my 71 K20. I was worried about how they might value my pickup and was thinking about putting stated value policy on it. My agent said they would go on NADA book value and said my pickup was easily worth average retail, which is $15,400. High retail is over $40,000....
My daughter had a 99 honda civic that she hit a deer with totaling it out, 10 days later they paid her 20% more than we had hoped to sell the car for. No arguing,complaining.... that was they're initial offer and we took it.
Pretty hard to beat !!!!

Stocker 10-29-2018 05:08 PM

I guess I will be looking into this stuff before too long. I usually put just a few hundred miles on my truck annually, and for several years it has carried liability coverage only. But I just bit the bullet and sent it to paint prison, where it's also getting rust repair along with some other work. I expect it will cost more than the truck will be worth, and I'm okay with that. At the same time, increasing my insurance coverage seems worth considering.

tim71 11-11-2018 02:10 AM

Just went through the insurance process this week. I was tired of paying a high premium to my regular insurance company for coverage that wouldn't protect my truck very well in the case of it being damaged by my fault or stolen, etc. After checking out numerous Classic car insurers, I chose Heacock. They had a mileage plan that actually allows you to pleasure drive your truck. The enrollment process was fairly simple, some forms and pictures, all handled thru email. All of the other classic companies restricted driving my truck to the point it felt like they would deny any claim resulting from driving the truck. I chose to insure my truck for $25K and only drive it 1000 miles per year, the annual premium is $126.00.

rsavage 11-11-2018 08:59 AM

I am back with Hagerty after a few years with ACC. ACC wouldn't insure my Blazer while it was in restoration process even though I have close to 20K in the vehicle and parts so far. Hagerty did for the 20K agreed value. My Corvette is insured for 52.5 K, the GTO convertible for 51.5 K, and now the Blazer at 20 K all with 500K liability. Annual premium is $1000. I don't know of any classic car insurance that allows "daily driving" or unsecured parking (must be in a garage). They stay in business because the vehicles they insure are restored or higher dollar nice survivors, their owners want to protect their value (garage storage), and they are not regularly subjected to heavy traffic of daily commutes. Mileage plans mean nothing if restrictions on use prohibit "regular driving". Check the restrictions carefully. Also, if you have MV infractions or prior accidents, you may not get insured. I have never had a claim, but I have a friend whose 65 GTO vert caught on fire when she started it in her garage to go to a car show. It was totaled because she did not enough insurance on it to cover the damage. She did match the high bid at the auction and bought the car back. It is still being restored over 2 years later because a good deal of it is out of her pocket. Hagerty actually will seek out OE parts for your repair. I have met a guy who goes around to the various swap meets such as Charlotte, Carlisle, and Hershey looking for parts.