The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Two Tone BC/CC methods (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=638554)

72step 08-06-2014 12:06 PM

Two Tone BC/CC methods
 
When it comes to the two tone nason BC/CC painting I plan on spraying the roof white first along with the grille and bumpers. My local paint shop guy suggested I paint the white first then the paint the bottom half base then clear the whole thing. I can't find anything on flash times on the Nason tech sheet for the base coat except for you to wait 15 minutes before spraying cc. My question is I think what the paint shop guy suggested won't work since I will have to let the white base dry fully in order to mask the top off to shoot the bottom base. I suppose I could shoot the white in a single stage but I'm not sure if that would look too dull and non quality? Thanks for any info!

MARTINSR 08-06-2014 04:57 PM

Re: Two Tone BC/CC methods
 
I have to tell you, I see no reason what so ever to paint the two colors then clear the whole thing. Paint the white, clear it then prep the rest and mask off the top.

This helps to eliminate a PILE of trouble in something getting onto that white while you are painting the bottom, masking, all that stuff. It's WHITE remember, it wouldn't take much! And it frees you up for painting less at a time so you can concentrate on less and be a little more at ease.

Brian

Tinkermc 08-06-2014 09:29 PM

Re: Two Tone BC/CC methods
 
Always do the smaller area first to completion, then when you have to cover the painted area it is small.

72step 08-06-2014 11:46 PM

Re: Two Tone BC/CC methods
 
Thanks for the info guys! Makes perfect sense!

cg285 08-08-2014 08:15 AM

Re: Two Tone BC/CC methods
 
i do it all the time like your paint guy said. it will also eliminate the edge you will get doing it the other way.
spray the smallest part first so there is less to mask. wait at least 4 hours before taping over the base coat. it will all need to be cleared within a 24hr period
you could have overspray issues, tho', if you are a sloppy taper

72step 08-08-2014 08:18 AM

Re: Two Tone BC/CC methods
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cg285 (Post 6793333)
i do it all the time like your paint guy said. it will also eliminate the edge you will get doing it the other way.
spray the smallest part first so there is less to mask. wait at least 4 hours before taping over the base coat. it will all need to be cleared within a 24hr period
you could have overspray issues, tho', if you are a sloppy taper

Not a sloppy taper but I am an amateur and I hate to be committed once I start. I'd rather do small steps.

MARTINSR 08-08-2014 09:58 AM

Re: Two Tone BC/CC methods
 
I have to say, personally, that "tape edge" is WAY over blown, and the funny part is when people worry about it on a restoration, the factory ALWAYS had a tape edge, two tones and stripes and such weren't buried under clear.

Honestly, it takes a LOT of experience to pull off a job like this if you were to paint both colors then clear over the whole thing, it takes a LOT of experience. I will bet a crisp ten dollar bill that the guy who suggested this at the paint store has never done it. To suggest to a newbe to do this is bad advice if you ask me.

Brian

cg285 08-08-2014 10:17 AM

Re: Two Tone BC/CC methods
 
it's not difficult at all. in fact it's easier.
but i would suggest do it the way you are most comfortable as it's your vehicle not a customer's.

don't try that with graphics tho'

72step 08-08-2014 11:02 AM

Re: Two Tone BC/CC methods
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cg285 (Post 6793476)
it's not difficult at all. in fact it's easier.
but i would suggest do it the way you are most comfortable as it's your vehicle not a customer's.

don't try that with graphics tho'

Easier you say. Maybe for you but taping on 4 hour old base coat and being commited to spraying clear within 24 could end up in disaster for a newbie. There's too many what ifs. Anything that goes wrong and you will miss the 24 hour period then your f&*^$d!

cg285 08-08-2014 11:47 AM

Re: Two Tone BC/CC methods
 
hahaha i don't care how you want to do it. just answering the original post. however a lot can be accomplished in a 24 hour time span. unless, of course, you are a government worker.
try holding your arms out to your side for 10 minutes. that will seem like a very long time :-)

72step 08-08-2014 11:53 AM

Re: Two Tone BC/CC methods
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cg285 (Post 6793571)
hahaha i don't care how you want to do it. just answering the original post. however a lot can be accomplished in a 24 hour time span. unless, of course, you are a government worker.
try holding your arms out to your side for 10 minutes. that will seem like a very long time :-)

I will let your words speak for your mentality.

With that said; I agree that a lot can be accomplished in a 24 hour period; however, this is supposed to be a hobby and working around the clock equals becoming tired and that's when mistakes happen. I want a decent end product and I really don't care if I shoot the whole thing in 24 hours as long as I get it done before winter.

cg285 08-08-2014 11:59 AM

Re: Two Tone BC/CC methods
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72step (Post 6793578)
I will let your words speak for your mentality.

With that said; I agree that a lot can be accomplished in a 24 hour period; however, this is supposed to be a hobby and working around the clock equals becoming tired and that's when mistakes happen. I want a decent end product and I really don't care if I shoot the whole thing in 24 hours as long as I get it done before winter.

i will put the first color on a motorhome (equivalent of about 3 trucks) in the morning, wait 4 hours, mask off for the other colors, graphics, etc shoot them in the afternoon, go home, drink, eat and sleep. go to work in the am, pull the paper and clear. i'm not working around the clock either.
and your 24 hour time starts after the first color is completed

MARTINSR 08-08-2014 12:53 PM

Re: Two Tone BC/CC methods
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cg285 (Post 6793571)
hahaha i don't care how you want to do it. just answering the original post. however a lot can be accomplished in a 24 hour time span. unless, of course, you are a government worker.
try holding your arms out to your side for 10 minutes. that will seem like a very long time :-)

I didn't mean to sound so pissy, we are all different and to someone who has sprayed a few cars doing it all at once is a great way to go. My advice is for someone not so experienced, in a garage that isn't perfectly clean and so on. Do one color at a time and you eliminate a LOT of headaches.

Now with all this info (that is what forums are for, getting different ways is part of it) it can be decided which way to go. :metal:

Brian

Low Elco 08-08-2014 01:07 PM

Re: Two Tone BC/CC methods
 
Simple. If you're an amateur, doing this in your garage, yes, base and clear your smallest and then go to the next step. If you've got a booth, know what you're doing, and have all day, then the all at once is a lot easier. Good luck!

PS- In the shops, I've blue taped over base in about an hour, in a warm booth with air flowin. No problem, if you don't get crazy with pushin' down.

cg285 08-08-2014 01:07 PM

Re: Two Tone BC/CC methods
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 6793637)

Now with all this info (that is what forums are for, getting different ways is part of it) it can be decided which way to go. :metal:

Brian

well i'm not too sure how an amateur decides who to believe on these forums. i usually see things like: my truck won't start - and then the bs starts

A says it needs a module
B says it needs a coil
C says it needs a fuel pump
D says it needs spark plugs
E says it needs a complete overhaul
...... and here we go.
so after he replaces a ton of stuff he finds out he is out of fuel hahaha

MARTINSR 08-08-2014 01:31 PM

Re: Two Tone BC/CC methods
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cg285 (Post 6793651)
well i'm not too sure how an amateur decides who to believe on these forums. i usually see things like: my truck won't start - and then the bs starts

A says it needs a module
B says it needs a coil
C says it needs a fuel pump
D says it needs spark plugs
E says it needs a complete overhaul
...... and here we go.
so after he replaces a ton of stuff he finds out he is out of fuel hahaha

There is a big difference in someone giving a WRONG answer and someone simply giving another way to do it that works. Usually the people who know what they are talking about will explain why it's wrong so the newbe understands.

But we all do it to some extent while putting on my convertible top for the first time. I ignored a suggestion because I thought I understood it different and it ended up biting me in the butt. So though we can do some amazing things because of this internet thing but it isn't perfect.

Brian

72step 08-15-2014 04:27 PM

Re: Two Tone BC/CC methods
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cg285 (Post 6793651)
well i'm not too sure how an amateur decides who to believe on these forums. i usually see things like: my truck won't start - and then the bs starts

A says it needs a module
B says it needs a coil
C says it needs a fuel pump
D says it needs spark plugs
E says it needs a complete overhaul
...... and here we go.
so after he replaces a ton of stuff he finds out he is out of fuel hahaha

I would like to say that paint and body is a bit different. If your truck won't start then there's one right way to fix it and that is to pin point the problem replace the part etc. With paint and body there is more than one way to skin the cat. Certain protocols will be considered wrong to some while might work for others etc. There's theoretically no wrong or right way to do a lot of things in the paint and body world. If you achieve the end product you desire is where you did it right regardless of what methods and protocols you used.

englands 71 08-26-2014 07:57 PM

Re: Two Tone BC/CC methods
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72step (Post 6790734)
When it comes to the two tone nason BC/CC painting I plan on spraying the roof white first along with the grille and bumpers. My local paint shop guy suggested I paint the white first then the paint the bottom half base then clear the whole thing. I can't find anything on flash times on the Nason tech sheet for the base coat except for you to wait 15 minutes before spraying cc. My question is I think what the paint shop guy suggested won't work since I will have to let the white base dry fully in order to mask the top off to shoot the bottom base. I suppose I could shoot the white in a single stage but I'm not sure if that would look too dull and non quality? Thanks for any info!


just remember to use fine line tape if you two tone base to base. Regular masking tape green or yellow will let the paint bleed and soak up the paint if its used to seperate the colors. Fine line tape will keep this from happening.

MARTINSR 08-26-2014 09:07 PM

Re: Two Tone BC/CC methods
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by englands 71 (Post 6818084)
just remember to use fine line tape if you two tone base to base. Regular masking tape green or yellow will let the paint bleed and soak up the paint if its used to seperate the colors. Fine line tape will keep this from happening.

What he said! :metal:

Brian

FlameOut 08-26-2014 10:35 PM

Re: Two Tone BC/CC methods
 
I just did my cab today, two tone. I didn't use fine line tape though, just the blue, green and yellow that i had on hand. I will pick some up though before doing the rest of the truck. I got lucky and didn't have any bleed

englands 71 08-26-2014 10:48 PM

Re: Two Tone BC/CC methods
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlameOut (Post 6818403)
I just did my cab today, two tone. I didn't use fine line tape though, just the blue, green and yellow that i had on hand. I will pick some up though before doing the rest of the truck. I got lucky and didn't have any bleed


yes you got lucky - dont mess around with it .

damnyankee36 10-03-2017 10:36 AM

Re: Two Tone BC/CC methods
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 6791054)
Paint the white, clear it then prep the rest and mask off the top.
Brian

When you say "clear it" are you saying to clear just the white? I should mask so only the white is cleared? I shouldn't have any clear overspray on the bottom over the primer?

I would imagine applying base over clear is a no-no?

MARTINSR 10-03-2017 12:12 PM

Re: Two Tone BC/CC methods
 
I didn't read this whole old thread but I believe what I was saying was to paint the whole thing white, then mask off the white for the second color and spray that then clear the second color.

Brian

72HuggerK20 10-03-2017 05:06 PM

Re: Two Tone BC/CC methods
 
I'm not sure what the tech sheets for Nason say, but with PPG OMNI, tape time is like 40 minutes. Personally, I would base the white, wait however long it tells you to wait to tape it off, base the other color, pull the tape off, wait until the last color has flashed off, and then go in and clear it. Otherwise if you base and clear the white, you have to wait until the clear has cured, then tape it off and sand/scuff right up to your tape in order for the next coating you put on it to adhere. The second way will give you a line that you can feel, too. With a little sanding and buffing, you'll never be able to feel a line where the colors meet doing it the first way. Just my two cents.

MARTINSR 10-03-2017 07:14 PM

Re: Two Tone BC/CC methods
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72HuggerK20 (Post 8053242)
I'm not sure what the tech sheets for Nason say, but with PPG OMNI, tape time is like 40 minutes. Personally, I would base the white, wait however long it tells you to wait to tape it off, base the other color, pull the tape off, wait until the last color has flashed off, and then go in and clear it. Otherwise if you base and clear the white, you have to wait until the clear has cured, then tape it off and sand/scuff right up to your tape in order for the next coating you put on it to adhere. The second way will give you a line that you can feel, too. With a little sanding and buffing, you'll never be able to feel a line where the colors meet doing it the first way. Just my two cents.


But you have much higher skills than the newbe asking!

Brian


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com