The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today part IV (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=729696)

jweb 08-01-2017 12:51 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today part IV

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvrfoot (Post 8003556)
Mocked up my new door.Attachment 1675651

Are you happy with the way the new door fits? I have been thinking about buying new ones.

rvrfoot 08-01-2017 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jweb (Post 8005114)
Are you happy with the way the new door fits? I have been thinking about buying new ones.

Yes I'm happy with the doors I don't know if you can see within the pictures but the fit is pretty good around the edge happy with them I'm going to try to get the fenders now I got a whole complete bed and everybody said don't buy it I bought it I'm pretty happy with that besides the headboard the tailgate pretty nice

jweb 08-01-2017 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvrfoot (Post 8005205)
Yes I'm happy with the doors I don't know if you can see within the pictures but the fit is pretty good around the edge happy with them I'm going to try to get the fenders now I got a whole complete bed and everybody said don't buy it I bought it I'm pretty happy with that besides the headboard the tailgate pretty nice

The only new parts I have bought were fenders. I tried 3 different brands and they were all about the same. The biggest issue was the welded in piece at the front of the fender that lines up with the grill surround. All of the fenders had a large gap compared to stock, almost like the welded in piece was too small. The piece also didn't line up well with the grill surround due to this.

Maybe there's a way to fix it but I found stock fenders with rusted bottoms. Seemed easier to patch them then trying to cut up new fenders.

rvrfoot 08-01-2017 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jweb (Post 8005217)
The only new parts I have bought were fenders. I tried 3 different brands and they were all about the same. The biggest issue was the welded in piece at the front of the fender that lines up with the grill surround. All of the fenders had a large gap compared to stock, almost like the welded in piece was too small. The piece also didn't line up well with the grill surround due to this.

Maybe there's a way to fix it but I found stock fenders with rusted bottoms. Seemed easier to patch them then trying to cut up new fenders.

Thanks maybe I'll try looking for used fenders mines full of Bondo everywhere

rvrfoot 08-01-2017 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvrfoot (Post 8005221)
Thanks maybe I'll try looking for used fenders mines full of Bondo everywhere

Also if I try new ones there's two places that are pretty close to me Brothers trucks in Corona and car and truck shop in Anaheim I live fairly close if they don't fit I can take it back you probably have to do shipping

jweb 08-01-2017 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvrfoot (Post 8005226)
Also if I try new ones there's two places that are pretty close to me Brothers trucks in Corona and car and truck shop in Anaheim I live fairly close if they don't fit I can take it back you probably have to do shipping

I was going to say drive over to Truck and Car shop and check one out. I bought 2 different fenders from local shops, Dan's Classics in Portland and The Filling Station in Lebanon. I was able to return them both. The third fender was new in the box from someones abandoned project, I checked for the issue before buying it.

Maybe the gap won't bother you, it sure would save a lot of work and then you know there's no hidden rust.

65chevysub 08-01-2017 03:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
got one door frame stripped and reprimered and installed new door check. Found some rust at the bottom of the door that will have to be POR-15'd or blasted, but not too bad....yet. Even came across the original paint(Light Blue).

ChevyJr 08-01-2017 06:04 PM

@rvrfoot How'd the repop door fit?

rvrfoot 08-01-2017 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChevyJr (Post 8005310)
@rvrfoot How'd the repop door fit?

Pretty good I was quite happy with them compared to all the hype everybody's talking about on the internet I bought a complete bed too happy with that I'm going to try fenders everybody said the fenders or pretty bad

Softpatch 08-02-2017 12:35 AM

washed it it's been yrs (2014) since I washed it started clay bar ran out of time

TJ's Chevy 08-04-2017 11:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Sanded the firewall to 600 grit. Few more spots and then a good cleaning and masking and ready for paint! :metal:

AngryPirate 08-07-2017 10:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I got the engine & trans pulled out, pressure washed the 57 years of dirt and oil off of everything...I also power washed through what was left of the frost plugs. ;-)

Engine on engine stand now!

TJ's Chevy 08-07-2017 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got some paint down. Now for cutting and buffing and it should look almost perfect.

vin63 08-09-2017 10:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
After about 6 hours of sanding, I finally got some stain on the bedwood. A few more rounds of sand-then-stain, and I hope to get some urethane down this weekend.

AngryPirate 08-09-2017 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vin63 (Post 8012178)
After about 6 hours of sanding, I finally got some stain on the redwood. A few more rounds of sand-then-stain, and I hope to get some urethane down this weekend.

Man, that is NICE looking.

rvrfoot 08-13-2017 10:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I installed my roll pan today.Attachment 1680820

jbgroby 08-14-2017 08:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the pipes installed, Woke up half the subdivision getting to the shop, but what the heck - they had to wake up anyway! Dan took his time and had to route carefully run around the oil filter and transmission pan, I have torsion bars so he was able to bring the pipe in the center of the arch and go to the rear, good clearance.

rvrfoot 08-14-2017 11:22 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Installed my new auto meter gauges and a clock.Attachment 1680903

Attachment 1680904

Attachment 1680902

drmatera 08-14-2017 12:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More rust repair. This is very intimidating as it's my first time but I think it's coming out ok. Nothing is welded yet. Gotta fit floor pan next.

oliver63 08-14-2017 03:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1680984
run fuel line from tank

slepysal 08-14-2017 03:52 PM

Replaced shifter bushings , installed press on door seals, buffed out the paint and installed some Cragar S/S.

Turtleman 08-14-2017 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmatera (Post 8016260)
More rust repair. This is very intimidating as it's my first time but I think it's coming out ok. Nothing is welded yet. Gotta fit floor pan next.

WOW,, that floor pan is shot!... Have you ever thought of just adding one of those glass bottoms in there instead? you know,,, Like the ones they have on those glass bottom boats?.. you could cruz around and see what you pass over then

drmatera 08-14-2017 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtleman (Post 8016460)
WOW,, that floor pan is shot!... Have you ever thought of just adding one of those glass bottoms in there instead? you know,,, Like the ones they have on those glass bottom boats?.. you could cruz around and see what you pass over then

That would be pretty cool. I could wave to the squirrels as they run under the truck...

rvrfoot 08-14-2017 07:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Put on my new window and vent window.Attachment 1681049

rvrfoot 08-14-2017 07:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1681050

Attachment 1681051