The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Pictures of 1969 Blazer (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=659008)

jaybirdk5 02-04-2015 08:35 PM

Pictures of 1969 Blazer

5 Attachment(s)
Completely computer illiterate and hopefully these pictures come thru!!

jaybirdk5 02-04-2015 08:59 PM

Re: Pictures of 1969 Blazer

Picked up this 69 Blazer from Colorado last month. Always liked the styling of 67-72 Chevys and wanted a Blazer to haul around the family in summer. After I saw the pictures of this Blazer in Colorado I really wanted to restore it to original condition. If it did not have a couple rusted out areas I would have drove it just the way it was. I started by talking to a couple restoration shops by me ( unfortunately I do not have the mechanical abilities or space to do a frame off restoration, I really admire those that have done it by themselves) and not really feeling confident about their abilities (spidey senses). The front seats were original but needed new seat covers. I went to a shop near where I work and asked for them to give me a price on redoing the seats. After saying he could restore the seats he said there was a Blazer being restored down the street and talk to them about restoring the vehicle. I stopped in and they were in the process of restoring a 71 Blazer ( I don't know if I would say restoring they were building this bad ass monster, it was really cool) after looking at their work I knew I wanted them to help me out. After a couple visits we agreed on proceeding with restoring our Blazer. They have removed the body from the chassis. I was really lucky to find a straight, almost no rust, and not abused Blazer. I will keep updating photos as it progresses. Thanks to Briank and Deadheadnm for their responses to some of my questions. Peace out!

asolde 02-04-2015 09:16 PM

Congrats on your Blazer. Are they going to put the writings/numbers back on the firewall like it was from the factory? I think that would be cool just my 2 cents.

jaybirdk5 02-04-2015 09:21 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More Pictures

jaybirdk5 02-04-2015 09:25 PM

Actually the brothers doing the restoration had their mother come in and transfer all the firewall markings on to see thru paper ( rice paper) and they are going to duplicate the markings on the firewall after it is painted.

IronCanine 02-04-2015 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybirdk5 (Post 7034391)
Actually the brothers doing the restoration had their mother come in and transfer all the firewall markings on to see thru paper ( rice paper) and they are going to duplicate the markings on the firewall after it is painted.

Outstanding!

DeadheadNM 02-05-2015 11:02 AM

Off to a great start!

bouncytruck 02-05-2015 04:50 PM

Looks like this is going to be a great restoration! Are you planning to stick with the rally wheels or go back to stock?

jaybirdk5 02-05-2015 09:20 PM

Thank You! I think I am going to stick with the rally wheels. The SPID show the hubcaps and there is a set on Ebay now but they are pretty expensive. I like the look of the rally wheels,that will probably be the only thing on the Blazer that wasn't original for that year.

CMACDONALD1 02-06-2015 04:32 PM

Nice Blazer! Looks real solid.

jaybirdk5 02-21-2015 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just thought I would update the progress on the 1969 Blazer. Stopped in the Body Shop to see the progress being made. I was warned by the Body Shop that until they pull everything apart there could be more decay than what is on the surface. The PO had replaced the rockers on both doors and was not impressed at the work that was done (they did not line up right and the welds looked bad). Once the body was off the frame we noticed that the passenger side rocker box / torsion box had been hacked up and welded back up horribly. I asked the Body Shop to remove the replaced rockers on both sides to see what was behind them. I was glad we did, the PO had made a 2"x 16" patch on the support on the bottom of the door and was tack welded in 5 spots. I asked them to order a new passenger side rocker / torsion box to replace the hacked up one that was on the truck. There was a little rot on the front of each door and the rear wheel wells had a little rot on the flanges where they mount on the inside of the bed. The rot did not continue to the inside of the bed. They sent out the doors and the fenders to Delavan, Wi to be blasted ( the shop said the fenders were spotless and the bottom of the drivers door had a little decay after they were blasted). The Body Shop had decided to sand down the rest of the truck. They are a great shop really cool guys. Trying to upload photos,but not having luck.

jaybirdk5 02-21-2015 07:22 PM

More Pictures of rot.

jaybirdk5 02-21-2015 08:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
More Pics

DeadheadNM 02-21-2015 08:12 PM

Keep up the good work!

jaybirdk5 02-21-2015 08:20 PM

I also stopped in to the Mechanic's shop to take a look at the progress there. They took the engine apart ( the PO supposedly rebuilt the engine 300 miles ago) due to concerns. One lifter was over tightened and wore a flat spot in the cam. After all was pulled apart the previous rebuild was a hack job, the wrong size bearings were used and the initial start up of the previous rebuild had debris in it and caused some scarring. The trans and the transfer case have been pulled apart, cleaned, and resealed. The frame has been sandblasted and will be epoxied tomorrow. Now that the body and the mechanicals have been completely gone thru and fixed I am relieved!!!

IronCanine 02-21-2015 08:30 PM

Awesome approach. The only way to know things for sure, is to get in there yourself. The "rust-free" jewel I bought with fresh rocker replacement by the PO, now retains only about 30% of the factory sheet metal...because that's all that was salvageable. Keep it up. More pics. Great truck, fun follow.

jaybirdk5 02-21-2015 08:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
more pics

jaybirdk5 02-21-2015 08:41 PM

Forgot to mention the name my daughter gave the truck after receiving the truck and cleaning it for the first time. Girdy, combination of gross and dirty.

IronCanine 02-21-2015 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybirdk5 (Post 7059644)
Forgot to mention the name my daughter gave the truck after receiving the truck and cleaning it for the first time. Girdy, combination of gross and dirty.

Best post in the thread.

Dzlhead 02-22-2015 09:10 AM

Subscribed.

Chulisohombre 02-22-2015 12:19 PM

Cool truck. Some body shops half ass it when they replace panels. A lot don't know how it originally went together being so old. Maybe that's what happened to yours. Looks like they are doing a good job finding your problem areas and fixing them to a better standard. It looked pretty decent when you got it.

montsb 03-01-2015 01:21 AM

I love it. Girdy. Awesome! Cool pics and start.

jaybirdk5 03-03-2015 04:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Stopped in at the mechanic's shop today to document any progress. The chassis was completely epoxied and painted. The engine and transmission were completely rebuilt,painted,and installed. The mechanic shop is really doing a great job.

Stopped in at the body shop and they were starting on the patch panels and epoxied the doors and were in the process of epoxying the wheel wells. The driver side door needs a little work. We were curious to see how the driver's door looked like after being blasted, due to the different shades of paint on it. Turns out at one time in the blazer's life someone had scrapped against something and the previous body shop tried to pull the crease out and patched the door. The body shop that I'm working with said they would fix it correctly. They are also doing a great job.

Thank you to everyone that have responded with kind words and suggestions.

hold24 03-03-2015 04:57 PM

Looks like you found a good place for the restoration... its going to be a real nice looking blazer when finished... Congrats!!

jaybirdk5 03-03-2015 05:03 PM

Thank You