The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How to mount parking lamps to Grille w/ no studs (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=809524)

TKCR 07-23-2020 10:39 AM

How to mount parking lamps to Grille w/ no studs

1 Attachment(s)
As the title says, I have searched and read past posts, but I can’t find exactly what I’m looking for. I know I have seen something about this subject in the past.
85-87 grilles that do not have the studs to mount the parking lamps. How are you mounting them? I need pics too.
And before anyone’s says, I know all about the different grilles, that the double stack has studs. I have a friend that Custom built a grille, using the one that doesn’t have the studs. And we are trying to see how other people mounted the parking lamps. Here is a pic of the grille.

Pontiac1976 07-23-2020 10:49 PM

Re: How to mount parking lamps to Grille w/ no studs

What the back look like of that grill.?
And are you talking about the front turn signals park lamps that are square.
For 83-87 grills.

TKCR 07-24-2020 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pontiac1976 (Post 8780812)
What the back look like of that grill.?
And are you talking about the front turn signals park lamps that are square.
For 83-87 grills.

It looks the same, minus the studs for the parking lamps. And yes, the parking lamps are for the 83-87 grilles. This grill is actually a 85-87, just the single headlight setup, or the lower grade grille.

Pontiac1976 07-27-2020 12:46 AM

Well If it is the same grill. there is no stud on any 83-87 grill the stud are on the park lights. But should have two bottom slots and two holes for the park light studs. And the 4 flat washer press on the studs to hold them on.

TKCR 07-27-2020 08:53 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pontiac1976 (Post 8782410)
Well If it is the same grill. there is no stud on any 83-87 grill the stud are on the park lights. But should have two bottom slots and two holes for the park light studs. And the 4 flat washer press on the studs to hold them on.

Um there are, in fact, plastic studs on the back of the deluxe 83-87 grille. But they are not on the lower grade, single headlight Grille.
First, you say there are no studs on the Grille, but then your last sentence says there are studs that flat washers press onto. Sorry what your saying in one sentence is contradicting the other sentence. And there are no studs on the parking lamps. Yes, they have the holes so that they can be attached to the grilles with the studs.
Sorry, but the question was for how to mount the parking lamps to the single headlight Grille that doesn’t have the studs and how it was done. I know something has to be fabricated, and that’s what I’m asking for.
Pics below show the deluxe grille with the studs for the parking lamp.

44th Miss Inf 07-27-2020 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8780414)
As the title says, I have searched and read past posts, but I can’t find exactly what I’m looking for. I know I have seen something about this subject in the past.
85-87 grilles that do not have the studs to mount the parking lamps. How are you mounting them? I need pics too.
And before anyone’s says, I know all about the different grilles, that the double stack has studs. I have a friend that Custom built a grille, using the one that doesn’t have the studs. And we are trying to see how other people mounted the parking lamps. Here is a pic of the grille.

Tina,

I like the CHEVROLET over the Bowtie. Nice, subtle change.

TKCR 07-27-2020 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 44th Miss Inf (Post 8782638)
Tina,

I like the CHEVROLET over the Bowtie. Nice, subtle change.

Yeah it’s different. I like it too.

Pontiac1976 07-28-2020 07:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac1976 View Post
Um there are, in fact, plastic studs on the back of the deluxe 83-87 grille. But they are not on the lower grade, single headlight Grille.
First, you say there are no studs on the Grille, but then your last sentence says there are studs that flat washers press onto. Sorry what your saying in one sentence is contradicting the other sentence. And there are no studs on the parking lamps. Yes, they have the holes so that they can be attached to the grilles with the studs.
Sorry, but the question was for how to mount the parking lamps to the single headlight Grille that doesnÂ’t have the studs and how it was done. I know something has to be fabricated, and thatÂ’s what IÂ’m asking for.
Pics below show the deluxe grille with the studs for the parking lamp.
Sorry my age must be starting to be a problem lol your right now that I read it.. I was try to picture the grill and my grill 15mile from my Pc. I got it turned around.

I would try to find a few grill that are broken cut off the studs right through the front of the grill so you have the flat side in a nice 1/4-1/2" square to crazy glue to the back of your grill, if it clean take of chrome or paint off both side and degrees in that spot, Before Gluing. It should work good. But you can gab the old broken grill test the crazy glue or other glue. See how it works. Put a little dab on both side let sit 2 or 3 second hold 3 to 5 min should nice and firm.

TKCR 07-28-2020 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pontiac1976 (Post 8783435)
Sorry my age must be starting to be a problem lol your right now that I read it.. I was try to picture the grill and my grill 15mile from my Pc. I got it turned around.

I would try to find a few grill that are broken cut off the studs right through the front of the grill so you have the flat side in a nice 1/4-1/2" square to crazy glue to the back of your grill, if it clean take of chrome or paint off both side and degrees in that spot, Before Gluing. It should work good. But you can gab the old broken grill test the crazy glue or other glue. See how it works. Put a little dab on both side let sit 2 or 3 second hold 3 to 5 min should nice and firm.

I kind of thought maybe what you wrote something different than what you were thinking. We will try that and see how it works. :metal:

85/Silverado 08-04-2020 10:15 PM

That grill would sure look great on my new 86 custom deluxe. lol and the Custom Deluxe has single headlights so no mounts for parking/turn signal lights.

TKCR 08-05-2020 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 85/Silverado (Post 8787250)
That grill would sure look great on my new 86 custom deluxe. lol and the Custom Deluxe has single headlights so no mounts for parking/turn signal lights.

Yeah, that’s why we have been trying to find a way to mount some sort of studs, so we can put the parking lamps in there. The plan is, to maybe epoxy some regular threaded bolts/studs to the grille. Then use nuts to fasten the parking lamps. It don’t need much to hold them to the Grille. The parking lamps are very light in weight.

Pontiac1976 08-17-2020 08:31 PM

TKCR Have you had time to work on you grill yet.?
DO tell the route you went with and show some pic's of it.

TKCR 08-17-2020 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pontiac1976 (Post 8794000)
TKCR Have you had time to work on you grill yet.?
DO tell the route you went with and show some pic's of it.

No not yet. It’s my buddy’s Grille. I don’t think he’s had time.

Pontiac1976 08-19-2020 08:50 PM

OK. I though it was your grill you where re-doing