The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   cheap adjustable panard bars!!! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=365212)

Hottrucks 10-01-2009 10:37 AM

cheap adjustable panard bars!!!

being as cheap as I am here my newest idea just need to run to tractor supply..ok I'm going to steal one off the tractor and see for sure first....I'll keep yea posted??

http://www.tractorsupply.com/agricul...gory-1-0267759

pretty hard to beat for $20 even if you had to tack weld it when you got it where you wanted it??

Hottrucks 10-01-2009 10:38 AM

Re: cheap adjustable panard bars!!!

sorry posted in te wrong area should have been in general

MY BAD

PBFAB.COM 10-01-2009 06:31 PM

I would be skepticle about the quality of the rod ends.

I pay more than $20 per rod end for the style we use.... and that's with my WD discount.:waah:

Hottrucks 10-01-2009 06:47 PM

I cut my stocl one today and added enough to stop my wheels from rubbing...Sunday there's haf dozen of us going for a ride and we drive by TS I looked at the one I have and it's to BIG around but I thnk they make a smaller one for smal tractors so well see I figured a good old farm boy would know better......I dont think there would be to much issue with the ends these things pick up a 1000lbs over and over again which is more than the lateral load of a panard bar...

mbgmike 10-01-2009 06:54 PM

I would not use that. Its just to keep a brush hog or implement from swaying at slow speeds.

I have wondered though would the adjustables off the later Impalas fit?? they look like the might.

Spray-Bomb 10-02-2009 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porterbuilt (Post 3547267)
I would be skepticle about the quality of the rod ends.

Im with you on the ends not being the best quality, & they will most likely make noise & possibly wear out sooner than good ones

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbgmike (Post 3547303)
I would not use that. Its just to keep a brush hog or implement from swaying at slow speeds.

Actually that is the top link for the 3-point hook up on a tractor & it carries a fair amount of the load, so they are pretty strong & strong enough for this application IMO, just not necessarily the best choice

DHPmike 10-03-2009 11:10 PM

Theres no jam nuts on those and they will rattle like crazy.

Hottrucks 10-04-2009 09:46 AM

the one on my tractor has a jam nut..and whats one more rattle...lol

DHPmike 10-04-2009 10:01 AM

You are much better off getting a panhard bar kit or getting some heims and a threaded rod and jam nuts. look at speedwaymotors.com. they have heims in several levels of quality and they have threaded rods in all lengths in 1" increments. They also have poly bushing ends that will also fit the threaded rod. They have the jam nuts in left and right hand threads and even weld on tabs.

mbgmike 10-04-2009 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spray-Bomb (Post 3548879)
Im with you on the ends not being the best quality, & they will most likely make noise & possibly wear out sooner than good ones

Actually that is the top link for the 3-point hook up on a tractor & it carries a fair amount of the load, so they are pretty strong & strong enough for this application IMO, just not necessarily the best choice

You are right. I should have known better . I have removed many of them. I guess they could work in a pinch. We've had trucks driven into the shop at times with broken ones or broken mounts that had been driven a long time like that.So it would be better than none.

mbgmike 10-04-2009 10:21 AM

There was a guy here who cut one and thr'd the pieces and added an Edelbrock tie rod adjustment sleeve. looked good. Any machinist can make you one.

Hottrucks 10-04-2009 06:12 PM

just thinking outside the box..unfortunatly TS was closed today when we got to them but we did put 210 miles on the old girl checking out the foliage...nice day and got to meet another member...Kool

OARNGESI 10-16-2009 04:27 AM

Ever try this

Hottrucks 10-16-2009 07:50 AM

funny you ask... I finally made it to tractor supply...very kool store full of stuff...anyway I did check out the upper links and like anything else the ends come in a couple of dif qualities....took some measurements and yes they will work they even have a lock nut...

now did I get it well I cut my bar added 3/4" to it and am running it...even at $20 adjustable is a relitive term...truth is your going to put it on adjust it once then leave it.... I still think a watts link is the only answer to tracking correctly with Bags...theres just to many veriables on the up and down