The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Mods or improvements to inner door handles? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=750082)

cam.man67 11-08-2017 07:34 AM

Mods or improvements to inner door handles?

Anybody? I'm on my 3rd driver and need to replace it here before I lose functionality altogether. This is such a stupid design by GM, I can't believe there's nothing better out there! Whatcha got?

74CustomK20 11-08-2017 07:42 AM

Re: Mods or improvements to inner door handles?

I thought someone was making an aluminum black replacement? Could of swore I found some online...

special-K 11-08-2017 08:55 AM

A problem so common Advance Auto Parts keeps them in stock on a shelf of their generally lame inventory. Are you saying the replacements are wearing out, too? I was under the impression they were an improved design. I've replaced both front door handles on my Suburban and so far so good. First it was the passenger side, but I hardly haul a passenger and if they bumped the door with their shoulder it would open. I'd forget till I had a passenger. My son helped me build a deck last summer so I finally replaced that one. The driver side got funky and within a half dozen times opening (or less) it wouldn't work at all. That got fixed right away, over two years ago and so far so good.

OutlawDrifter 11-10-2017 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cam.man67 (Post 8077835)
Anybody? I'm on my 3rd driver and need to replace it here before I lose functionality altogether. This is such a stupid design by GM, I can't believe there's nothing better out there! Whatcha got?

I'd look into other areas of the door to address why they keep breaking...or lay of the roids?

cam.man67 11-11-2017 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 74CustomK20 (Post 8077837)
I thought someone was making an aluminum black replacement? Could of swore I found some online...

Yes!!! That's exactly what I'm looking for. I've been unsuccessful in my search, but would love a link if you have one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8077859)
A problem so common Advance Auto Parts keeps them in stock on a shelf of their generally lame inventory. Are you saying the replacements are wearing out, too? I was under the impression they were an improved design. I've replaced both front door handles on my Suburban and so far so good. First it was the passenger side, but I hardly haul a passenger and if they bumped the door with their shoulder it would open. I'd forget till I had a passenger. My son helped me build a deck last summer so I finally replaced that one. The driver side got funky and within a half dozen times opening (or less) it wouldn't work at all. That got fixed right away, over two years ago and so far so good.

Yep. I get about 6-8 months out of a replacement door handle. I've started buying two at a time just so I have a backup when it fails. My replacement time is down to about 10 minutes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter (Post 8079598)
I'd look into other areas of the door to address why they keep breaking...or lay of the roids?

Haha I guess I'll have to do that!;) specifically what areas should I check out? Nothing else has ever been taken apart on the door and as far as I can tell, is completely functioning as it should.

OutlawDrifter 11-11-2017 09:41 AM

My guess is you have a bent rod, therefore requiring further motion to open the door. Also spend some time with the lithium grease where the parts move and touch.

54 jimmy 11-11-2017 08:18 PM

also check your door bushings. if they are bad/going bad door will sag making it hard to pull thus breaking the interior door handle.