The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   My 1961 crew cab- XRMYCRU (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=646830)

jonzcustomshop 10-18-2014 12:54 AM

My 1961 crew cab- XRMYCRU

5 Attachment(s)
About a month ago 64chevycrewcab got ahold of me and mentioned that a friend of his had found a 61 crew cab in my area, and that he had bought it.
After some pics and a few emails , he let me know that he would consider selling it.
I jumped at this chance; I have been lightly(?) searching for a crew for a few years now, it always seems like they end up being too far away ($$$ in gas) , or super expensive on ebay, or because of ebay.
there have been 5 of them -ironically all 61's- close enough to get over the last 6 years, and they were always just a little bit out of reach.
I don't know how many times I told myself that I should start saving up money, so that when one shows up I could get it.
luckily with this one the price was right, and I was able to get the funding together to get it.

So yesterday I drove 8 hours round trip (plus an hour loading and b.s.ing)
and arrived home with something I have been dreaming about for the last 22 years.

without further ado here are a few of the pics:

jonzcustomshop 10-18-2014 01:14 AM

Re: My 1961 crew cab- XRMYCRU

5 Attachment(s)
..so its a lot rougher than it looks!:lol:
It started out as an ARMY 61 apache 20 2wd crew cab with a 148 inch wheelbase and a short step box.

I am thinking of referring to its heritage with the personalized plate "XRMYCRU"
of course first there is rust repair to do.. the plate can come later.

It looks like it was olive drab for a few years, and then got sold to the Montana State Hospital. There it was given a thick coat of brush painted yellow, and what took me a while to figure out on the doors, the logo "Montana State Hospital Warm Springs" - that is our 1 state mental health hospital-
After that it looks like it went to private hands and was driven until the rockers were rusted and bent off, and then unceremoniously dumped in a pile and robbed of its short step box, rear axle, and just about every other useable part that would work on a conventional truck.
This is also where it was let turn into a home for countless mice, who really took their toll on the roof rails and front windshield pillars.
here are some not so glorious shots of some of the rust I get to deal with:

Captainfab 10-18-2014 01:18 AM

Congrats Jon :thumbs:

Which coach builder made this one?

jonzcustomshop 10-18-2014 01:33 AM

5 Attachment(s)
No pictures from todays expedition (camera battery), but I got in and pulled the seats, seat belts, floor mats, and 1/2 the headliner ( I should probably be on hantivirus alert), and started to take stake on how to go about the project.
the pluses are that I have been quietly collecting some early cabs and doors to try and build my own crew... this just makes it a lot easier.
after looking today, I will be able to save all the coach built parts of the truck, and will have to replace the cowl/windshield area due to the rodent damage, and the rear panel, outer/inner, due to rodent damage as well.
I am 99% sure that I am going to use this stretched 61 frame, but I am 50/50 on whether to keep it as a 3/4 ton, or change to a 1/2 ton... I have a modern 3/4 limited slip, and 2wd front suspension, but I also have a 66 6 lug posi, or a 87 limited slip-5 lug and matching 5 lug front suspension... still thinking on that.
I have a new rebuilt 350, and a cool 5 speed trans that came out of my 61 GMC 4000.
I have a nice short step box that can go right on it, and a 60 hood and a 60 big truck grille that I will cut down to fit.

here are some pics of the coach built frame stretch

jonzcustomshop 10-18-2014 01:38 AM

5 Attachment(s)
lots more pics to come!
here are some of the pics they emailed me:

jonzcustomshop 10-18-2014 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 6883365)
Congrats Jon :thumbs:

Which coach builder made this one?

I have gotten rusty, and will have to do some research, it is not stageway, automotive industries, or orrville, so I am thinking it is a crown.
I'll post it up when I figure it out.

LuckyLightning 10-18-2014 06:56 AM

Nice! As a fan of the crew cab models, I'm looking forward to seeing this one get back on the road.

I can't see the windshield too well, but it looks like it's in good shape! Or are the cracks just camera-shy?

aerotruk63 10-18-2014 07:36 AM

Well deserved Jon.
Were the rear door hinges from a Suburban?
At this point would you consider a Panoramic View conversion?

I'll vote 3/4 ton suspension for the trailering potential later on as well as the prospect of dually conversion, complete with modified medium duty fenders and running boards.

The State Mental Hospital heritage is just an added bonus!

perro13 10-18-2014 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerotruk63 (Post 6883443)
well deserved jon.
Were the rear door hinges from a suburban?
At this point would you consider a panoramic view conversion?

I'll vote 3/4 ton suspension for the trailering potential later on as well as the prospect of dually conversion, complete with modified medium duty fenders and running boards.

The state mental hospital heritage is just an added bonus!

x2

66Gilbert 10-18-2014 11:10 AM

Too cool, another one saved! Looks like you will have your hands full on this project. I would convert it to a half ton. I like the personalized plate idea as this will fit this truck well or use the state mental hospital heritage CRAZCRU.

Hydra 10-18-2014 11:39 AM

I can't wait to watch the progression on this. I vote 3/4 ton for the practicality, even if you don't have plans for having it as a utility truck it's always nice having the extra capability.I'm glad you're keeping it a stepper,I'm partial to those myself

Auctioneerhere 10-18-2014 09:40 PM

Ok if you find any in MT that are available count me in. Nice save!

jonzcustomshop 10-19-2014 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerotruk63 (Post 6883443)
Well deserved Jon.
Were the rear door hinges from a Suburban?
At this point would you consider a Panoramic View conversion?

The State Mental Hospital heritage is just an added bonus!

I know a lot of guys convert their crews to big back window.. I am partial to the small back window, but I won't decide for sure until I sit in it and look through the mirror...

jonzcustomshop 10-19-2014 01:09 AM

5 Attachment(s)
would it have killed them to own a cat??? not like they would have had to feed him...:lol:

the rodent damage is pretty severe... looks like all the stuffing that is missing from the back seat is jammed up in the roof and headliner...

the headliner and side panels are some sort of press board?/cardboard?

they are completely destroyed by the mice, but I will keep them for patterns.
maybe try and find a similar material and replace the headliner, or maybe do it in metal...
for sure I will do the side panels in metal.

jonzcustomshop 10-19-2014 01:12 AM

5 Attachment(s)
random shots:

jonzcustomshop 10-19-2014 01:17 AM

5 Attachment(s)
more shots:

jonzcustomshop 10-19-2014 01:21 AM

5 Attachment(s)
left side:

jonzcustomshop 10-19-2014 01:25 AM

5 Attachment(s)
right door pillar rust, the rear headliner nest...

jonzcustomshop 10-19-2014 01:32 AM

5 Attachment(s)
more random shots:

jonzcustomshop 10-19-2014 01:40 AM

5 Attachment(s)
rear sill plates: pretty crudely done.. shouldn't be too hard to replicate these!
the "special" rear seat bracket- this should bolt to any 60-66 seat pretty easy, seat was a full size seat too, I know some crews have a cut down/shortened rear seat.
the rear floor mat-there was a smaller piece that continued under the front seat as well...

looks to be a standard piece of rubber- if any of you recognize this pattern and know of a vendor for it let me know.

earl84 10-19-2014 10:29 AM

Dang mice!!. Looks like you have your work cut out for you, but it will be worth it in the end, not too many crew cabs out there. I have never seen on other than pics on this forum.
Congrats on the crew cab, great story line to go with it. My vote is for 3/4 ton, but I am partial to that.

Dinos63 10-19-2014 10:44 AM

whoa!! congrats!!!

padresag 10-19-2014 02:38 PM

looks like this will keep you going for awhile Jon. congrats on getting it
ron

aerotruk63 10-19-2014 07:34 PM

Is that not a standard vinyl mat for foyers into businesses or industry? I'll swear I've purchased a similar runner at Home Depot, but not as wide as you require.

allmats.com
americanfloormats.com
industrialrubberresource.com

Thanks for posting all the pictures. Nice of you to share the details.
Why red under the headliner?
The outer roof panel is in 3 pieces or 2?

61_FL_Apache 10-19-2014 07:53 PM

That will keep you busy for a while!!

Nice addition!