The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   longhorn opinion please (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=781200)

landarts 02-09-2019 08:50 PM

longhorn opinion please

4 Attachment(s)
I went out to test drive a longhorn today. Was very original 1969 Custom longhorn with a red/white paint combo with the factory 350V8 and 4 speed trans. Here are the things that were really nice, sheet metal on truck was very straight, interior was original with everything working, radio worked, heater, turn signals and paint was almost perfect, original rubber floor mat that was worn out and toast, steering wheel had two cracks. Found rust in the two front supports and one rear support. Not enough to do a complete replacement but a cut out, treat and patch. There was also rust in the top of the door sill plate on the rocker about the size of a quarter. That could also be patched and blended in. Grill had one little ding in it that can be worked out. Has original T3 lights still, rear tail lights were converted to LED at some point. The be is a wood bed that had a full piece of 1/8 metal over it, inner wells and bedsides looked great also. Tailgate look good but the trim was banged up pretty good.

I drove the truck and it was really quite and shifted well in all 4 gears, brakes were fine. Its amazing to see a truck with hardly even a door ding on it, paint was very oxidized but will rub out to look beautiful. I made an offer on the truck and will go back to pick it up on Monday. Not sure if I will just clean it up and drive it or possible turn it into a longhorn 4x4. This truck might have to be left alone and just enjoy its original state.

Getter-Done 02-09-2019 09:00 PM

Re: longhorn opinion please

You said it best.
(just enjoy its original state)

Madkidd007 02-09-2019 09:26 PM

There are only two things to think about and in my opinion no one else’s opinion matters. Are you worried about resale value, and what do YOU want? Your truck, your money, your needs. Now if you go to change it over, that’s where I’d entertain opinions on the best way to do that. Just sayin it is gonna be yours after all

Chevyland 02-09-2019 09:27 PM

Buff-n-Drive .

jocko 02-09-2019 09:49 PM

Enjoy it, nice old truck. If you really want it to be a K conversion, take a look at some of the great conversions by board members - Dieselwrencher's comes to mind as one of the best, but I'm pretty sure there are others. I'd drive and enjoy it, but that's just me - what matters is what you want to do with it. It's a real nice old Longhorn just as is. What I WOULD do if I were considering a 4x4 conversion is this: do all the things you're thinking of doing to it as if you were going to leave it stock - i.e. buff it out, any minor mech work, body stuff, etc. THEN drive it for a bit, and THEN decide if you want to convert it.

Madkidd007 02-09-2019 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 8462534)
Enjoy it, nice old truck. If you really want it to be a K conversion, take a look at some of the great conversions by board members - Dieselwrencher's comes to mind as one of the best, but I'm pretty sure there are others. I'd drive and enjoy it, but that's just me - what matters is what you want to do with it. It's a real nice old Longhorn just as is. What I WOULD do if I were considering a 4x4 conversion is this: do all the things you're thinking of doing to it as if you were going to leave it stock - i.e. buff it out, any minor mech work, body stuff, etc. THEN drive it for a bit, and THEN decide if you want to convert it.

Now this is a very useful opinion, I like the way this guy thinks

trac209 02-09-2019 10:19 PM

Personally I wouldn’t touch it. The long horn has to be about the most useful model of these trucks. Big bed,heavy hauling,what more could you want. I wish I could find one that nice that I could afford,even finding one is about as impossible as it gets. Nice truck you have there.

yuccales 02-09-2019 10:36 PM

Very nice find!

MONTE 02-09-2019 10:49 PM

Buff and keep it original!!

ElKotze 02-09-2019 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I love my Longhorn, it's my daily driver and work truck. Toughest truck I've ever owned, takes everything I throw at it. I just changed the rear end for a 14 bolt SF because of parts and more gears available. I like your tool box, btw ;)

special-K 02-09-2019 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevyland (Post 8462517)
Buff-n-Drive .

This ^^^ Just add install new wood to that

Truck must have come bumperless. Then a Luverne step bumper was installed

I've never seen a steering wheel survive better than a rubber floor

67ChevyRedneck 02-09-2019 11:23 PM

Love it. Your initial plans sounds great. Spot in the few small rust areas, rub job (giggity) and drive.

davepl 02-10-2019 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine, I welded up the Longhorn seams though! Chromed the mirrors, but otherwise, stock down to the correct hubcaps.

tutone 02-10-2019 11:23 AM

I love the faded original look as well as some above. IMHO I believe the addition of steelies and poverty caps would just about make that truck perfect.

Chevyland 02-10-2019 11:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElKotze (Post 8462580)
I love my Longhorn, it's my daily driver and work truck. Toughest truck I've ever owned, takes everything I throw at it. I just changed the rear end for a 14 bolt SF because of parts and more gears available. I like your tool box, btw ;)

I love how the ‘weather ‘
Treated your truck....
My Longhorn, too
Was
Treated right !

Buff.n-Puff

special-K 02-10-2019 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 8462606)
Love it. Your initial plans sounds great. Spot in the few small rust areas, rub job (giggity) and drive.

Rub that long... horn out, ey. We better stop before we start talking about the shifter knob being so dull :rolleyes:

Chris_oz 02-11-2019 05:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great find, congratulations.

If it were mine, I would buff and drive, make sure the brakes, fuel system, etc are all safe and just use it.
I have the younger sister to your truck, a 1970, with 350 and 4 speed. I love it.

My only desire is for a lower rear end, I have the 4.56 Eaton and it just revs out on the highway.
Even a 4.1 out of a GMC longhorn would be nice.

factorystock 02-11-2019 08:12 PM

Straight body with very good original paint, hard to beat in a 50 year old vehicle. Nice options. Looks like a solid buy. I vote for some steelies and original caps.

countr 02-11-2019 08:17 PM

I would buff it drive it and love it!!!! Nice find looks like it has another 50 years in it!! Russ

70LonghornCST 02-11-2019 11:49 PM

That looks real nice! I say buy it! :chevy:

Already Gone 02-12-2019 02:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevyland (Post 8462835)
I love how the ‘weather ‘
Treated your truck....
My Longhorn, too
Was
Treated right !

Buff.n-Puff

I just love this truck, one of my favorite color combos , a Longhorn and Cheyenne Super to boot and the spotlight adds extra coolness to the truck.

Greg58 02-12-2019 04:39 PM

Nice find!
Whatever you decide it will be nice.

Greg

muley 02-13-2019 12:20 PM

He never showed up.
It's still for sale.

72 tigger 02-13-2019 12:50 PM

No show- that’s too bad. Hopefully someone on here will buy it

Dieselwrencher 02-13-2019 06:54 PM

That is a very nice Longhorn. If it were mine, I'd still convert it to 4wd. In our area it just makes a great truck even better.