The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   LQ9 Build for 1972 Blazer (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=598068)

Justin G 09-25-2013 02:12 PM

LQ9 Build for 1972 Blazer

4 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone. I'm looking for suggestions and input on an LQ9 build I'm about to tackle.

A little history: I traded a 2003 Honda Foreman last year straight across for a 1972 Blazer. Although the body is rough and the 350 that was in it smoked...... I got a Blazer and it cost me a 4-wheeler! Although I've taken some criticism from family and friends over the past year as it sat in my garage.....My end goal has always been to build an LS Powered 1972 Blazer. I made some progress toward this goal this weekend when I got an LS engine delivered to my door for free! Family deals are great.

Engine:
2009 LQ9 w/ 144,000 miles out of a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500
6.0 iron block, L92 Heads (823 Castings)
Engine was a take out from one of my father's company trucks. They took in to be looked at after having some trouble with the front spark plug on the passenger side. Due to advice of mechanic and time constraints he decided to swap in a 40,000 mile pull out instead of working on this engine. So although engine needs head work/new head and all accessories. I won't complain about free.

Discovery:
After getting heads off, we found the problem area. It looks like the front plug on the passenger side broke and maybe stripped out the cylinder head. If it is not stripped, it is at least broke and will need some work done or the head will need replaced. Check out these pictures and see what you guys think. I plan on taking to a machinist soon.

Future Plans:
Now that I found out the damage is just on the head and everything looks ok with the block and piston, I think I am going to leave the bottom end stock except maybe swapping in a cam to get some more HP out of this thing.....I've been researching and there is a ton out there on building up 6.0 but I wanted to get opinions on building a 6.0 for a Blazer from you guys. A 450-500 HP engine with a stock bottom end seems to be achievable from everything I read.

So any suggestions on vendors, cam specs, head work (porting, etc)? Suggestions and questions are welcome.

smoky02 09-26-2013 02:11 AM

Re: LQ9 Build for 1972 Blazer

Those hp numbers with those heads is definitely doable. Although you may be on the low side of that. I would call Texas speed or Pat G, or Nelson performance and spec out a cam for what you plan to do. I would also recommend a higher stall. I'm running the same combo(well LQ4) in my truck and I love it. I'm actually swapping to a manual six speed when I get home from the desert so I can have a little more control over the gears and get a little better mileage...lol

BigDan3131 09-26-2013 03:12 AM

Which ever way you go you need to build for torque more than HP. Unless your planning on converting it back to a 2 wheel drive truck that is.

Wasted Income 09-26-2013 10:01 AM

Not to be nit-picky, but that engine would actually be a LY6, not an LQ9. LQ9s are Gen 3 engines, were last made in 2007, never had factory rectangle port "L92" heads, and were never available with VVT, had knock sensors in the valley cover, and the cam sensor at the rear of the block.

Your LS lesson for the day...haha.

With just a cam and longtubes, you should be right around 500 fwhp. Just don't put a carb on it like these idiots.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...2/viewall.html

Justin G 09-26-2013 11:42 AM

Re: "LY6" Build for 1972 Blazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wasted Income (Post 6286610)
Not to be nit-picky, but that engine would actually be a LY6, not an LQ9. LQ9s are Gen 3 engines, were last made in 2007, never had factory rectangle port "L92" heads, and were never available with VVT, had knock sensors in the valley cover, and the cam sensor at the rear of the block.

With just a cam and longtubes, you should be right around 500 fwhp. Just don't put a carb on it like these idiots.

Thanks for the LS Lesson. I guess I need to change the thread title now!:o

AMERICAN PICK-UP 09-26-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wasted Income (Post 6286610)

you are correct sir. it is a LY6. 2007 had the LY6 in 2010 they changed it again renaming it the L96.

Justin G 09-26-2013 12:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So I took the L92 heads to a local machine shop yesterday and apparently someone has already tried a heli-coil and insert where the head was broke at the base of the spark plug threads. In his opinion I need to look for another head.

What do you guys think? Do I need to get a second opinion or just go ahead and find a replacement L92 head?

Justin G 09-26-2013 12:10 PM

Does anyone know how to change this thread title? I hate that I made a mistake and can't correct it!

Wasted Income 09-26-2013 12:19 PM

You can't edit threads (or titles) after a set period of time unless you're a Premium Member. FYI.

It's not a big deal, most people know what you mean....and honestly the LQ9 and LY6 are extremely similar aside from the few things I mentione above.

Justin G 09-27-2013 05:42 PM

Based on the feedback from a couple machine shops regarding my damaged L92 head.....I've decided I'm going to replace it.

So I did some shopping around for a replacement L92 head today.......$570 for a new bare head from Chevy dealership. There is a used bare L92 head on Ebay for $315 but two of the combustion chambers are chewed up pretty bad. I'm not sure which direction to go here. Used or new bare head?

Anyone have (1) L92 head laying around they need to get rid of?

Anyone know who would take a set in on trade?

Wasted Income 09-30-2013 09:04 AM

Ha. That's the beauty of this. I am allowed to have my own opinion, as are you. I happen to think it's idiotic to dumb down such a smart engine...you don't. Deal with it.

Justin, you could try poking around on LS1tech for a used set...might even get lucky and come across a single good used head. In my OPINION, there is no reason to buy a new one from the dealer, with all the good used L92/LS3/L99/LY6 etc heads floating around.

Wasted Income 09-30-2013 09:12 AM

Boom.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-clas...ing-823-a.html

Another option
http://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-clas...ready-run.html

Andy4639 09-30-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin G (Post 6289195)
Based on the feedback from a couple machine shops regarding my damaged L92 head.....I've decided I'm going to replace it.

So I did some shopping around for a replacement L92 head today.......$570 for a new bare head from Chevy dealership. There is a used bare L92 head on Ebay for $315 but two of the combustion chambers are chewed up pretty bad. I'm not sure which direction to go here. Used or new bare head?

Anyone have (1) L92 head laying around they need to get rid of?

Anyone know who would take a set in on trade?

I have 2 engines I know of that are within my reach. I could find out if either one would be willing to sell the heads off them. How would I tell if it's the right head are heads for u?
Both I'm sure would need to be checked out also.
;):chevy:

Wasted Income 10-01-2013 10:16 AM

The head casting numbers will be either 5364 or 823 or 821.

Justin G 10-01-2013 04:11 PM

Jeff - You are the man! Now I just need to jump on one of these deals before someone else does!

The second link sounds like a good price for both heads.......can someone explain what these modifications below mean?

Is milling the heads and reducing the combustion chambers a good thing for my application? I'm assuming yes but any feedback would be appreciated.

"I have a set of newly rebuilt and Milled L92 Heads, casting number 5364 that have been completely cleaned, Glass beaded on the intake and exhaust ports, had a serdi valve job performed, and new viton rubber seals installed with stock valvesprings re-installed.

The rocker arms aren't pictured, but are included.

The heads have been milled .020, so the CC's have been reduced approximately 3.5 cc's less than stock, adding about .4:1 to the compression ratio.
"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wasted Income (Post 6292600)

Wasted Income 10-01-2013 04:34 PM

Just means that they were cleaned really really well, and rebuilt.

Yes, the .4 compression bump is a GOOD thing if you're looking to make 450-500 hp. That will put you at around 10:1 on an LY6. You'll pick up power/tq across the board with a compression bump.

Justin G 11-26-2013 06:50 PM

I've been MIA for almost two months but have been making progress. I picked up a single L92 head, had my one good head and newly purchased head, cleaned, valve job done, milled .015 and reassembled with PAC 1218 springs to match a Mast VVT HO camshaft I picked up.

Here's my new dilemma: I can either build my 144,000 mile Ly6 engine with my new heads and cam and then purchase a la carte all the accessories including new intake, wiring harness, gas pedal, etc I need due to getting my engine bare or I can do some wheeling and dealing with a guy who is selling the following package.....

http://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-clas...rness-ecm.html

Need some advice.....Wasted Income....... you seem to have tons of experience with these swaps......what would you do?

Wasted Income 11-27-2013 12:16 PM

I personally would stick with what you've already got, and piece it together from craigslist and the LS1tech classifieds. Sends up a red flag that he doesn't know if the engine has 13k miles or 100k....To me, $4500 seems steep for that stuff, but if you don't have the time to spend piecing it all together, maybe it would be better to get it all in one shot.

tinydb84 11-27-2013 01:52 PM

I haven't done a (complete) LS swap yet but me and my brother are in the process of doing a LQ4 into his Nova and a LM7 into my C20.

You have most of the parts and I would stick with what you got. Find a used intake and wiring harness on Craigslist and have the harness sent out. 4500 for an engine someone is unsure of and doesn't have pictures of is a lot of money. I personally wouldn't buy anything without a warranty for that much cash.

144k seems like a lot but I have seen Gen III/IV engines running strong at 400k and people turboing them at 200k.

Wasted Income 11-27-2013 04:26 PM

The only one of my LS engines that I've broken has been the one that had LESS than 100k on it. haha.

The rest of the turbo/spray setups have been on 150k+ engines.

mcmlxix 11-29-2013 04:43 AM

not mine but local to me on CL ...

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/4165268675.html

Justin G 12-03-2013 07:30 PM

I spoke to the seller of the ly6/4l80 package and he dropped down to $4k. Although he seemed like a nice guy and I wanted to help him unload his project since he helped me out with the 823 single head I needed, I'm taking the advice of you guys and working on piecing together the rest of my engine and drivetrain package for the Blazer.

Having talked with a guy named Shawn (RetroLS) in Atlanta who sells LS engines, I gave him a call to inquire about a transmission and the accessories my engine was missing. He happened to have a few things on the shelf. He quoted me the following:

$900 - 6L80e (AWD with less than 30,000 miles) He told me the AWD 6L80e would mate up to the NP205 that came behind the TH400 (6-bolt round style as opposed to race track bolt pattern). Still trying to research this...but he said he knew of a lot of tube chassis trail buggies running this combo with either a NP205 or Atlas transfer case. I currently have old style NP205 but am considering a LoMax 3:1 NP205 Gears/Case kit that has both bolt patterns and has 3:1 gear ratio.

http://www.jbconversions.com/index2.php?pc=3

All of the accessories quoted below are of an 2010 Escalade with 8500 miles. He sold short block and was left with a pile of parts nearly new parts.
$220 - full harness
$100 - ECM
$80 - Pedal
$75 - PS Bracket & pump
$75 - Water pump
$80 - Escalade Alternator (high amp)
$200 - Intake with injectors and fuel rails with throttle body
$125 - Coil packs with plug wires
$65 - MAF

Comments and Recommendations welcome! I know I've got to figure out the harness and programming of the TCM in the 6l80e but I think this harness and ECM that is coming off of a 6.2L/6L80e setup should work? Learning as I go.....kind of! :o

Justin

Justin G 12-03-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmlxix (Post 6393594)
not mine but local to me on CL ...

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/4165268675.html

Thanks for the link MCMLXIX. Looking around here first..... but this gives me something to compare to.

I'm subscribed to your build.....we've got very similar taste and build plans!

Did you get your LineX done yet? Definitely want to see pics of how it turned out.

mcmlxix 12-03-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin G (Post 6400237)
Thanks for the link MCMLXIX. Looking around here first..... but this gives me something to compare to.

I'm subscribed to your build.....we've got very similar taste and build plans!

Did you get your LineX done yet? Definitely want to see pics of how it turned out.

It keeps getting pushed back... Hope to have it to the Line-X shop on Monday....

Wasted Income 12-04-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin G (Post 6400233)
I spoke to the seller of the ly6/4l80 package and he dropped down to $4k. Although he seemed like a nice guy and I wanted to help him unload his project since he helped me out with the 823 single head I needed, I'm taking the advice of you guys and working on piecing together the rest of my engine and drivetrain package for the Blazer.

Having talked with a guy named Shawn (RetroLS) in Atlanta who sells LS engines, I gave him a call to inquire about a transmission and the accessories my engine was missing. He happened to have a few things on the shelf. He quoted me the following:

$900 - 6L80e (AWD with less than 30,000 miles) He told me the AWD 6L80e would mate up to the NP205 that came behind the TH400 (6-bolt round style as opposed to race track bolt pattern). Still trying to research this...but he said he knew of a lot of tube chassis trail buggies running this combo with either a NP205 or Atlas transfer case. I currently have old style NP205 but am considering a LoMax 3:1 NP205 Gears/Case kit that has both bolt patterns and has 3:1 gear ratio.

http://www.jbconversions.com/index2.php?pc=3

All of the accessories quoted below are of an 2010 Escalade with 8500 miles. He sold short block and was left with a pile of parts nearly new parts.
$220 - full harness
$100 - ECM
$80 - Pedal
$75 - PS Bracket & pump
$75 - Water pump
$80 - Escalade Alternator (high amp)
$200 - Intake with injectors and fuel rails with throttle body
$125 - Coil packs with plug wires
$65 - MAF

Comments and Recommendations welcome! I know I've got to figure out the harness and programming of the TCM in the 6l80e but I think this harness and ECM that is coming off of a 6.2L/6L80e setup should work? Learning as I go.....kind of! :o

Justin

Good deal. I think the prices he quoted you for all that stuff seems in-line. Not a screaming deal, but not a ripoff either. Market value.

See if he'll cut you a deal if you buy it all at once. All the prices he quoted you add up to $1020. See if he'll take $800-900 for everything...good for him since he doesn't need to try to find individual buyers for each thing if you buy it all at once.