The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Getting started on my windshield install. Would appreciate some help. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=672217)

roger55 05-29-2015 07:51 PM

Getting started on my windshield install. Would appreciate some help.

You guys helped me tremendously on my back glass install a couple of days ago and I'm ready to do my windshield.

As a preliminary step, I set the glass in place without the rubber on it just to see how it matches up with the channel.
As you can see, I put a couple of small pieces of rubber under the w/s for it to rest on.

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da.../IMG_18782.JPG

I think there's a problem so I stopped and took some photos so I could post them here for advice.

Just for info, this truck has never been hit and had the original w/s in it when I bought it a few years ago. It fit fine. It was just old looking. Dang, now I wished that I had saved it to compare to my new replacement.

Something seems off. It appears that it is too wide to me. I don't think it should be more wide than the pinch weld but it is. Anyway here's the photos. I'd like to hear what you experts have to say before I proceed. I don't want to fight with this if there's is something wrong.
I think there's a problem so I stopped and took some photos so I could post them here for advice.

It's pretty well centered and both corners are out further than the pinch weld. (The pinch weld is primer gray beyond where it was taped when the cab was painted.)

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da...1/IMG_1892.JPG

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da...1/IMG_1902.JPG

So like I said, help will be appreciated. What do you guys think? As you can see it was made in China. I got it from a local glass shop. I think they would stand behind this if there is a problem even though I bought it quite a while back.
I could even see if they could come to the house and try to install it.

Dan in Pasadena 05-29-2015 08:26 PM

Re: Getting started on my windshield install. Would appreciate some help.

I'm no expert but to me that looks like a No-Go. There's no place for the H that the rubber forms to rest. It's just too big

roger55 05-29-2015 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 7190926)
I'm no expert but to me that looks like a No-Go. There's no place for the H that the rubber forms to rest. It's just too big

That was sure my reaction.

I did this same preliminary step on my '55 Bel Air w/s install. I don't remember it like this at all. But it's been a while.
Looking at the rubber would make you think the edge of the w/s should match up even with the pinch weld all the way around. As you can see, it doesn't.

Maybe someone can tell me what I may be missing here. Until then, I'm not going to move forward on trying to install it. It will be calling the glass store where I bought it.

starterman99 05-29-2015 09:07 PM

looking at mine with window installed it looks like the glass sets forward of the pinch weld.try putting glass rubber over pinch weld and see where glass would sit that might help you determine if it is really to big.

roger55 05-29-2015 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starterman99 (Post 7190977)
looking at mine with window installed it looks like the glass sets forward of the pinch weld.try putting glass rubber over pinch weld and see where glass would sit that might help you determine if it is really to big.

Good idea.
I'll try that tomorrow.

_Ogre 05-30-2015 12:02 PM

get someone over there and try to install it tomorrow :D

the windshield will come forward a bit
your better off having the lower corner a little snug
my original oem glass is the other way
i had to use some sealant under the rubber in the corners

do it

roger55 05-30-2015 01:49 PM

I ended up putting the rubber on the windshield to inspect it rather than the pinch weld.

It does make it look like maybe there isn't a problem and the glass is supposed to be larger than the pinch weld opening.
I'm thinking that I should give it a whirl when I get an another hand available to help me.

I'm wondering about putting sealer on it or not though. I have a tube of the correct 3M 08509 to use but I'm leery of putting in on in case the thing doesn't fit. Then I would have a big mess to clean up.

Should I do a trial without the sealer first?

mongocanfly 05-30-2015 02:07 PM

I put in my back glass but i had a glass installer put my front in and it was money well spent..they busted 5 windshields before they got it in and that was all on them...I would have been squalling if I was the one doing the busting

roger55 05-30-2015 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ogre (Post 7191516)
get someone over there and try to install it tomorrow :D
the windshield will come forward a bit
your better off having the lower corner a little snug
my original oem glass is the other way
i had to use some sealant under the rubber in the corners
do it

So, you didn't use sealant all the way around?
In this video, they do that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsSB...ature=youtu.be

However, I've searched this site for all threads on TF windshields I could find and I didn't see any where people mentioned using a sealer like they did in the video. Are most putting these in without using any?

Like I said in my last post, I'm reluctant to put sealer on until I know this thing is going to fit. But, I don't want to do it twice if I don't have to either.

_Ogre 05-30-2015 05:14 PM

i wouldn't use any sealant, that type of rubber seal uses no sealant
i just watched the video... i've never used the sealant, i recommend against it
when i removed my windshield there was no sealant on the old gasket
if you think back there was probably no sealant on yours either
i drive truk in the rain quite a bit and have never had a leak (and i take it thru the car wash :D)

i use to work for the school bus garage in my home town we did a lot of windshields, we never used any sealant
when i first installed mine i waited a bit to see if the rubber would seal at the lower corners
it did not, so i now have maybe 3'' of black silicone on each lower corner

BC Toy chest 05-30-2015 06:02 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hi roger55 , not trying to be a wet blanket but I only installed my back glass. When I removed my windshield I new I was going to run into some problems with the windhield installation. I called Safe-Lite Auto Glass last year. Everything, the windshield, rubber and labor came to $279.00 Now keep in mind because these trucks of this era Chevy/GMC/Ford/IH/Dodge the parts don't always fit right, and on Task Force trucks the cabs are not exactly square/ line up right from side to side.
When the Safe-Lite Glass installer got to my house he started on the install and about 20 minutes into the install he had to call for back up. It took two guys to install my winshield. It came out GR8 they did a fantastic job of installing it, but the left side of the cab was harader to get the glass in then the right side. They knew just how to slap it, but I promise you I thought they were going to crack it the way they slap it so hard with their hands. Here are some photos. I suggest get two other friends to help you if you never did this before.... or call Safe-lite they are nationwide I believe. I hope I did not discourage you, only trying to help.

BC Toy chest 05-30-2015 06:13 PM

BTW they did not use any sealant on the window, and I didn't use any on the rear window install, except where the bead came together in the rubber to fill a small gap. I used a black rtv silicone sealant.

roger55 05-30-2015 06:26 PM

Holy smokes!
It's in and couldn't fit any better.
I'm taking the sticker off and cleaning it now.
Pics to follow.

Looks like I was freaked out about nothing. (If it doesn't leak.)

BC Toy chest 05-30-2015 06:34 PM

:metal::metal::metal:Fantastic:metal::metal::metal:

roger55 05-30-2015 07:28 PM

Here's the photos.

I want to thank everyone here who responded. It sure helps a bunch.

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da.../IMG_19081.JPG

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da...1/IMG_1941.JPG

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da...1/IMG_1913.JPG

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da...1/IMG_1944.JPG

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da.../IMG_19451.JPG

Like I said, it couldn't be any better.
Looking at other's photos, my rubber looks a little different from all I saw. I'm hoping to find the receipt of where I bought it. I would sure recommend it. Amazing the China made w/s fit so well too. Like I said, I bought it locally. They gave me a good price and no charge for shipping. It was $199.33 including the sales tax. Turned out to be a good decision.

BC Toy chest 05-30-2015 08:52 PM

Looks awesome bro, and the whole truck over all gr8 looking ride.

starterman99 05-30-2015 09:29 PM

Glad to see you got it in, looks great. Has to be a relief to have it in and no real problems.

1958Warrior 05-30-2015 11:13 PM

Did you do the install or have a glass Company come out to do it?

Whole truck is looking damn good :smoke:

roger55 05-30-2015 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1958Warrior (Post 7192149)
Did you do the install or have a glass Company come out to do it?
Whole truck is looking damn good :smoke:

Thanks!
I put the glass in.
Turned out the windshield went in very easy. I just was kind of spooked with all the problems I had read about.
Also, I did the small back window earlier this week and it was a bear an a half. That was supposed to be the easy one and it wasn't.
Here's the thread I did on that:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671905

_Ogre 05-31-2015 04:11 PM

yeah, i thought you were concerned after the back window install
glad it's in :D

roger55 05-31-2015 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ogre (Post 7192830)
yeah, i thought you were concerned after the back window install
glad it's in :D

Thanks Ogre. You advice really helped.

roger55 06-01-2015 04:50 PM

Just for an update.

I found my receipt for the w/s rubber. I got it from Brother's (the Standard one). No brand stated and the bag it comes in has no writing.

So, a w/s made in China and a no-name rubber gasket. Go figure.

OrrieG 10-24-2016 02:06 PM

I just found this, getting ready to install my windshield. FYI the Factory Assembly Manual does call out for sealant in Section 1, plate 143. That prompted my search here because when I had my windshield replaced in 1978 the guy did not use any sealant and it never leaked in plenty or rain storms, sitting outside with snow piled on it, etc. I'm going with no sealant and will address any leaks if they start.

roger55 10-24-2016 02:17 PM

I haven't had my truck in the rain but have washed it a handful of times. Not even a single drip.

dsraven 10-25-2016 01:21 AM

I have heard of guys using no sealer and if it leaks they get plumbers putty and roll it into a smal diameter long "ROPE" then slip in between the rubber and the glasss or stell, where ever the leak is. You can find a leak by using soapy water spray on the outside of the window and compressed air blowing on the inside till you see bubbles forming on the outside.