The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   1972 Blazer CST Frame off Project in NC (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=711445)

UGAK5 09-13-2016 09:26 AM

Re: 1972 Blazer CST Frame off Project in NC

2 Attachment(s)
Also, here are a few more progress pics!

ORD came through with the leaf springs.

I also tackled the Transfer Case......I got it apart, now we will see if I can get it back together.

Also have the axles stripped down and getting them ready to prime, paint and rebuild. Same plan with the tranny.....I found a guy who has been in business 43 years and knows a TH350 inside and out - - used to build tractor pull trucks.

1972CST 09-13-2016 09:47 AM

Great progress! Which local classic parts suppliers are you using?

Those springs look like they will be far superior than factory (many thin leaves rather than few thick leaves). Would you mind sharing the specs? price?

Tynee 09-13-2016 01:18 PM

Interesting build.

UGAK5 09-13-2016 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1972CST (Post 7711435)
Great progress! Which local classic parts suppliers are you using?

Those springs look like they will be far superior than factory (many thin leaves rather than few thick leaves). Would you mind sharing the specs? price?

Not sure the forum rules on mentioning a retailer by name - so someone tell me if I am breaking a rule. I found Dave's Truck Parts just outside Newton/Hickory NC area - great guy and close enough to drive over to from Charlotte.

The springs are 2.5" lift. I only want to run 33s and was really looking for more ride quality than height, and the guys at ORD were great at listening to me and helping devise the right solution. Just over $1400.

Lieferson 09-13-2016 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 7711386)
I think I saw the bed to cab support from wes at ?, cant remember his company name. Some one on here will know it...classic?

Wes at Classic Heartbeat in Olympia WA

UGAK5 09-13-2016 09:59 PM

You guys are awesome! Thanks

tjsblazer 09-13-2016 10:04 PM

I got my springs through ORD also with a similar lift amount. I will say when it came time to install the Rears there was a bit of pre-load required similar to a coil pack. Took a couple of red-neck tricks to get them in. In the end they nailed the stance but I don't have mine back together yet to see what the ride is like.

jaros44sr 09-14-2016 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lieferson (Post 7711614)
Wes at Classic Heartbeat in Olympia WA

thanks, I've got CRAFT

UGAK5 09-14-2016 04:48 PM

Lol. Can you use that CRAFT to get that part off national back order? Supplier says 30 to 60 days........ You need patience to restore a rare classic. I'm dead in the water until it shows up.

jaros44sr 09-14-2016 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UGAK5 (Post 7712814)
Lol. Can you use that CRAFT to get that part off national back order? Supplier says 30 to 60 days........ You need patience to restore a rare classic. I'm dead in the water until it shows up.

no, but IIRC, it was just a flat piece of steel. you can make it. you can use your old part as a template

just remember to make it longer, as it extends into the 'B' post

Or you could degrease and paint parts for the next 30 to 60 days

PATIENCE? I've been at it for 15 years lol

lyrikz 09-15-2016 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UGAK5 (Post 7711423)
Also, here are a few more progress pics!

ORD came through with the leaf springs.

I also tackled the Transfer Case......I got it apart, now we will see if I can get it back together.

Also have the axles stripped down and getting them ready to prime, paint and rebuild. Same plan with the tranny.....I found a guy who has been in business 43 years and knows a TH350 inside and out - - used to build tractor pull trucks.

Woohoo. My springs are sitting here waiting for my frame to come back.

UGAK5 09-15-2016 12:48 PM

Congrats! Mine too! LOL

UGAK5 09-15-2016 08:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More parts p@rn!

I got my refurbished wheels back today!

$100 to buy. $80 to blast. $100 to straighten, prime and paint. They aren't perfect, but not too bad for late 70s Ralleyes for $280!

See post #25 for the before pic.

UGAK5 11-06-2016 07:15 AM

Ok - So its been 6 weeks or so since my last post, but have ben making lots of progress and will use this post to describe some of it, and then post a few series of pics that go with each one. As usual, the forum here has been a priceless source of information - - - THANKS to everyone who posts and responds to PMs!

Transfer Case - I posted a pic of the disassembled T Case and thanks to jbclassix rebuild post on them, I have mine back together and I modified it to a twin shifter with a kit I acquired from JB Fabrication in Oregon. I had to search around to find a rebuild kit that didn't use chinese bearings - but found one that was all Timken and a few NSK. I even found a NOS MRC bearing for the front of the adapter plate where it connects to the TH350. Pics in the posts below.

Axles - I took them to the powertrain shop I decided on and had them disassembled. I am decent mechanic and a pretty good parts changer, but I felt like I didn't have the tools or experience to build the differentials, set backlash and check tooth patterns and all. After the disassembly, I took the casing and external pieces to my blaster and paint guy and had them blasted, primed and painted. Turned out nice. Pics posted below.

The D44 gears got wet and had some pitting - but worse - they were 308s. I had hoped for 373s, so, the pitting gave me a good reason to justify the expense. I went with Spicer US made OEM gears in the D44 (not their Indian made SVL line). Went with a full rebuild - new bearing (Timken) seals, etc. All the other hard parts were salvageable. I did buy new Warn lockers - as the drivers side was water damaged pretty badly.

The GM12 bolt gears were replaced with Motive 373s. Other hard parts were good - but rather than rebuild the GM Posi, I went with a Detroit Truetrac. No clutches to wear out and no need to for additives in the diff case. I also used this time to replace the brake backer plates and upgrade to the bigger rear drums.

TH350 - I found an old school guy in his late 60s that has been rebuilding TH350s for 40 years, so he built mine. Had to replace the case as it had an internal crack, improved the bushings, put a shift kit in it, asked him to beef it up to handle up to 450HP. Went with a 2500 rpm stall converter. No pics of it yet.

Body Work - Richie has been hanging sheet metal and making adjustments. Got the new bed floor, bedsides and doors hung - now is the fitting. Time consuming. Also decided to replace the replaced rockers. PO did some hack work. Hopefully, I will get the frame back in December and can start putting the rolling chassis together. Right now - I have a pile of parts ready to go on! Some body work pics below.

Parts - Acquired a few more things over the last few weeks. Energy Suspension motor, tranny and Tcase mounts. Inline tubing brake and fuel lines. New fuel tank. Complete E brake cable kit. Like I said, ready to start bolting stuff on.

UGAK5 11-06-2016 07:20 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Axle Pics

UGAK5 11-06-2016 07:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
T Case and some frame pics

UGAK5 11-06-2016 07:26 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Body work pics

DeadheadNM 11-06-2016 11:25 AM

Great progress, thanks for posting. Where did you get the NP205 rebuild kit? I have one to rebuild and want all USA made replacement parts.

UGAK5 11-06-2016 11:45 AM

Thanks - - I got my kit from Off Road Design - - they build a ton of 205s and I felt they would use good quality parts in their kits. Torque King 4x4 is a great resource too - - their kits are very $$$ though. I did buy a few seals from them and a new speedo nut.....PO used a chisel to get it off at one point and butchered it badly. Like I said, I did get some Japanese bearings, but they are great quality.

UGAK5 11-10-2016 06:48 AM

Does anyone have good measurements for the distance between the B pillars? Just trying to make sure we have everything lined up properly.

mcmlxix 11-11-2016 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UGAK5 (Post 7764736)
Does anyone have good measurements for the distance between the B pillars? Just trying to make sure we have everything lined up properly.

As I suggest to anyone aligning Blazer bodies. Mount the body to the frame with new body mounts and install the hardtop. Then install the front clip and doors. Adjust as necessary.

UGAK5 11-12-2016 08:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Want to thank Turp McSpray for providing excellent advice that really helped with our hanging the quarters! Here's today's progress:

turp mcspray 11-12-2016 09:42 PM

Looking good! Glad I could be of help!

UGAK5 01-30-2017 02:50 PM

So - I am in need of some help!

1) Does anyone have some good pictures of a K5 frame (body off) that would show the proper routing of the fuel lines, brake lines, tail light wiring harness etc?

2) While I am asking - anyone have a decent pic of the brace that goes under the bed that the rear seat bolts into? I need to fabricate one up and would like to see what it looks like mounted under the truck. I have seen one pic of one that was for sale and been taken off, but that didn't give me all I wanted to see.

Would appreciate any help you guys can offer.....Should have a rolling chassis by end of February and start the painting late Feb/early March!

72K5CSTDarkOlive 01-30-2017 08:10 PM

Here you go..Hope this helps. I believe the lines are detailed in the Service Manual, but pictures are always better :)

Brake & Fuel lines
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hayh08lia...U1vrvpX2a?dl=0

Underneath bed for rear seat.
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/39p4oi8br...9QWGtOPZkPF8Ua

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/yom33sgz0...cUQCkQfTDK8Pua

UGAK5 01-30-2017 10:32 PM

You are the man DarkOlive! Thanks!

And your paint is looking great - - fun to see the progress.

DeadheadNM 01-30-2017 11:47 PM

I documented many bolts, lines, etc on my blazer build - click the link in my signature below

UGAK5 01-31-2017 05:12 AM

Thanks Pete - - your thread is going to be amazingly handy for me since I am reassembling something I didn't take apart!

72K5CSTDarkOlive 01-31-2017 02:41 PM

no problem. happy to help. I also have Pete's build bookmarked on my computer.

UGAK5 02-07-2017 08:26 PM

Hey Dark Olive (or anyone for that matter) -

The pics you shared on the fuel lines should be helpful......do you have any that are larger, meaning show more of the line and frame? Some wide shots that help me figure which piece goes where would help.

Thanks!

72K5CSTDarkOlive 02-09-2017 11:08 PM

PM sent. These are the best I could find. Hope this helps

UGAK5 02-10-2017 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72K5CSTDarkOlive (Post 7853885)
PM sent. These are the best I could find. Hope this helps

It does - Thanks!

UGAK5 02-17-2017 09:15 AM

New issue to solve........Bed leveling mat.

I am curious what solutions folks have created to replace the bed leveling mat. My truck didn't come with any and they are hard to find. I have also decided to move my rear seat to be centered between the wheel wells (back about 3 inches), so i need to fab up a mat, since I am putting carpet back in.

Obviously I could buy a bed mat and cut it down - and may - but want to see if someone has a worked with a specific one or found a great alternative.

Would appreciate hearing about people's solutions.

And a teaser - got my frame back last night, so starting the frame reassembly and hoping to hand the leaf springs and axles this weekend!

UGAK5 02-19-2017 06:31 AM

5 Attachment(s)
So, the chassis is done! Almost........all it took was 2 buddies, my new friend ochre1971 (thanks for bringing your blazer over!), 4 hours, 2 ratchet straps, 3 2x4s, bottle jack - and a total disregard for personal safety.....

Yesterday, we hung my new ORD custom front and rear leaf springs, got the front axle on and everything torqued to spec, we just couldn't finish hanging the rear axle. The U Bolts that came from ORD for the rear also incorporate 'a reversal' that switches the U bolts to bolting on top of the leaf instead of under the leaf (which I like), but that requires a custom top plate that unfortunately was left out of the box. Nothing a phone call cant fix tomorrow.

Otherwise, I am very happy with all the parts from ORD. Front leafs went in pretty easy - just a 2x4 for compression and some minor persuasion with a dead blow to align the second eye. The new pin on the leaf is a tad under 5/8" and the original Dana 44 alignment holes were right at 1/2". Sending my reluctant wife to Home Depot for a drill bit fixed that. Done.

Rear leafs were more challenging. Since these leafs have an engineered 3" lift in them, they have a significant arch until they get installed under a load. this makes them too short to reach eye to eye. So our solution (after some trial and error) was to connect the front eye, then use a ratchet strap wrapped around the center of the leaf and the top of the frame - wedge a few smaller (12 to 14") 2x4s between the frame and leaf to compress it - which lengthens it. Then, we put a 2x4 (about 36") and a bottle jack (about 10" closed) between the 2 eyes and started pumping - and praying - for it to work, and not pop out kill someone. Based on my ability type this morning, the prayers worked! I'd have gotten a pick of this technique, but we were kinda distracted.

Enjoy the pics!

DeadheadNM 02-19-2017 11:38 AM

Looks great. I can't help with an alternate to OEM leveling mat solution other than to mention that some guys have used mats in their pickup beds and these may have the necessary ribs - a search should yield several threads on rubber bed mats from the pickup board.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 02-24-2017 03:40 AM

Looking good!

UGAK5 02-26-2017 07:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So, I need some opinions. I am reassembling various frame components now that I have the axles hung. Today I noticed something that I never have before. In the first pic, I have this bracket that is bolted to the frame on the drivers side - no idea what its for - but I swear it looks like its to keep the leaf from going too far back. There is probably 1/4" between the bracket and the leaf eye.

In the other pics (of the passenger side), no such bracket, but there are holes in the frame for one to bolt in.

So, 1) whats the bracket for, 2) is it okay that there is that little clearance between it and the eye, and 3) should there be one on the passenger side?

Thanks!

1972 Jimmy 02-26-2017 08:35 PM

You are right on! This bracket is to limit the travel of the leaf spring on only the Drivers side of the truck. Also on the front spring support you should also have a strap that is spot welded onto the front spring perch. Both these items are factory stock to help keep the truck under control if the spring fails!!! Obviously they (GM) had failures and this was the quick fox for it.
There should be a little more clearance. If you put lifted springs on your rig. This might have reduced the clearance.

Your build is looking great!!

UGAK5 02-26-2017 09:12 PM

Thanks 72 Jimmy!!

I do have a 'steel plate' welded in the front side of the drivers side hanger - I assume thats the strap you mean?

Glad to know I don't have to try to source another vintage part!

So, any ideas on how much clearance I need for that bracket? Looks like i need to break out the sawzall!

tjsblazer 02-26-2017 10:50 PM

Yeah the stop won't fit with the new springs and shackles. I have the exact same issue as you. I have a set of ORD customs with approximately 2" lift over stock and using their shackles. I'm debating whether I will bother bolting it back on or not.
I think you would want more space than what is shown in the picture. I think that is going to be banging everytime you get some spring compression in the front.