The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rear Anti-Sway bar arrived Friday... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=206905)

70c10 07-31-2006 06:58 AM

Re: Rear Anti-Sway bar arrived Friday...

Alex- one last question. In one of the pics that shows the long bolt on the drivers side, it looks like the bar lays right up against the trailing arm. Is that the case or is it just the way the pic was taken?.

ChevyDude 07-31-2006 10:22 AM

That's just the way the pic was taken. Plenlty of clearance everywhere with this install. This Mod was one that was quick and I realy feel good about. Really a good quality sway bar and heavy duty!

Already Gone 08-02-2006 02:03 PM

I was under my truck yesterday when I was getting the trans serviced and looking where the rear sway bar would clamp. With the combo of your pics and seeing where the bar attaches ( the frame and trailing arms), this may be a dumb question but wouldn't attaching the sway bar to the farme and trailing arms restrict the the up and down movement of the trailing arms therefore making the ruck ride a lot harsher?

ChevyDude 08-02-2006 02:48 PM

Well, I hope not! Lets hope the Helwig engineers knew what they where doing. The reviews I read about this bar were nothing but thumbs up, with no negitive remarks. Guess I'll have to see when I drive it. There's always Ebay if I don't care for it, but I seriously doubt that I won't like it...LOL!

bryanw1968 08-02-2006 03:19 PM

I have a front and rear sway bar on my short bed step side '68.
Adding the front sway bar made a HUGE difference in handling. It made it much more fun and safer to drive.

Adding the rear sway bar also helped but was less noticeable. One thing to watch out for is how big of a sway bar you put where. If you have a rear wheel drive vehicle you want a bigger sway bar in the front and a smaller one in the rear to prevent understeer. It's the opposite for a front wheel drive setup.

All in all, a great mod. Best bang for the handling buck!
:blah: :blah: :blah:

Great job on the install. Very clean truck.

Already Gone 08-02-2006 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChevyDude
Well, I hope not! Lets hope the Helwig engineers knew what they where doing. The reviews I read about this bar were nothing but thumbs up, with no negitive remarks. Guess I'll have to see when I drive it. There's always Ebay if I don't care for it, but I seriously doubt that I won't like it...LOL!

Yes I would assume that the Hellwig engineers knew what they were doing when they designed the sway bar. I'm real anxious to see if you can see any notable difference with the rear bar attached. In saying that though it looks to me like you are assembling your truck and wont really know how the truck drove without the rear bar.

ChevyDude 08-02-2006 03:54 PM

Already Gone...you are right....Only drove the truck once, and that was to the paint shop over 3 years ago. I will be able to tell you if I like the way the truck rides and feels, though. Shortly....with a little luck!

boraxman 08-02-2006 04:19 PM

Would the rear sway bar possibily eliminate the need for a panhard bar?

ChevyDude 08-02-2006 04:49 PM

No, panhard bar is to keep the differential from twisting. 4 link will eliminate panhard bar.

bryanw1968 08-02-2006 07:05 PM

When I installed the rear sway bar I could hug the corners much tighter. However I do notice now that if I'm going around a corner hard and there's a bump in it that my rear end hops some instead of absorbing the bump.
All in all I like it though.

ChevyDude 08-02-2006 07:19 PM

I am sure it will tighten up the suspension and travel...but I'm not looking for a Cadilac ride.

smbrouss70 08-03-2006 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChevyDude
No, panhard bar is to keep the differential from twisting. 4 link will eliminate panhard bar.

Actually, a 4-link (or the factory trailing arms) keeps the differential from twisting. The panhard bar keeps the rear end from moving side to side. And a "normal" 4-link still requires a panhard bar, a triangulated 4-link will eliminate it.

ChevyDude 08-03-2006 01:55 AM

Thanks for clearing that up...I am no expert for sure.

centsless 08-03-2006 10:28 PM

Very nice job on the sway bar. :c2: It really does look like it belongs there. Everything on your truck looks top notch!! I just got mine done, and looking at yours makes me think I need to re-do it!! Can't wait to see it all done:cool:

smbrouss70 08-03-2006 11:16 PM

no problem, Your truck sure is looking good. Make sure you post a thread with the finished pics of it!

ChevyDude 08-06-2006 09:18 PM

Thanks Guys...will do!!!

ERASER5 08-05-2010 06:02 PM

Back from the dead! I needed to look at your rear sway bar pictures. My sway bar is a little different, but the frame mounts are similar. I would have never guessed it mounted that way! So thanks for your posts so long ago.

oldblue1968chevy 08-05-2010 08:08 PM

I found somewhere about camaro rear sway bars, never heard of how a sway bar handled with these trucks, I know the front did loads of good though..

ERASER5 08-05-2010 10:07 PM

Never heard? Well, the word is GOOD! Hellwig is a popular brand.

GMCshorty 08-05-2010 11:35 PM

Looks great. I was thinking about putting a rear bar on mine as well but my truck has leafs. What do you leaf spring guys use for a rear bar?

oldblue1968chevy 08-05-2010 11:37 PM

Is it as good of an upgrade as the front bar?

ERASER5 08-06-2010 02:36 AM

Front bar first. That will make world of difference. The rear will make a difference, but not as dramatic. I need to control 300 gallons of water sloshing back and forth. The rear sway will really help me there.

Hellwig 7402 is for leaves. It will stiffen up the ride.

I have use PST before with good luck, but that was on a car.

rockvette 08-06-2010 03:20 AM

I have a 1964 1/2 ton short stepside with 1-1/4" in front and 1-1/8"in rear.This thing handles like a go-cart no leaning or swaying it is the best thingI could have done Got my kit from CCP

LONGHAIR 08-06-2010 06:49 AM

Come on ERASER5, don't you know that newbies are supposed to dig up the old threads? LOL

djmachinist 08-06-2010 07:19 AM

ChevyDude,

Your truck build is awsome!! What Dia. rear bar did you use? I have the CPP 1 1/8in. dia rear bar with the 1 1/4 in. bar in the front. I have not installed the rear bar yet because I was afraid it would induce oversteer in a hard corner.
Just the front bar keeps it pretty flat in corners, not much body roll. Let us know how that rear bar works when you get it back on the road.

What I really want to here about is the Stereo set up you have behind the seat. I just installed a CPP rear alum. tank setup in my truck so I would have more room behind the seats. What is that black panel across the back of the cab made of? How is it attached? I see three shiny bolts at the top, is the cab doublewall where the bolts are located. I'm trying to figure out how to clean up the rear cab wall so I can install bucket seats and a console. I like what you did! Do tell all!!!;);)

Thanks,
Dale