The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   700r4 lockup wiring (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=334345)

americanmusc1e 03-19-2009 11:17 AM

700r4 lockup wiring

I'm installing a 700r4 in place of my old th350,
for the lockup wiring can i run a toggle switch and a brake switch and forget the pressure switch and vacuum switch??? I have an '87 trans out of a camaro and it has a square looking plug with three pins in it, which is power, which is ground and what is the other one for?????
thanks in advance

texanidiot25 03-19-2009 12:11 PM

Re: 700r4 lockup wiring

You have to have the TV cable, no matter what.

Indyuke 03-19-2009 12:55 PM

Yes, you can run a toggle along with the brake switch instead of a pressure switch. But why? It's much easier to wire up a pressure switch, plus it's much nicer to drive that way. Don't have to think about it.

And you don't absolutely need a vac switch. I put one in mine, but bypassed it the first day.

americanmusc1e 03-19-2009 01:47 PM

anybody know witch one is the "A" pin and witch one is the "D" pin?????

americanmusc1e 03-19-2009 02:12 PM

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/DSC00001.jpg
which pin do i run the 12 volts to???? and which do i ground???? and what is the third one for????

71meangreenc10 03-19-2009 03:38 PM

Ill look it up this evening if no one els jumps in.

Smitty

michael bustamante 03-19-2009 05:17 PM

the plug should be labled which is which on the underside

cparman 03-19-2009 05:26 PM

the plug will be labeled. If I remember correctly, it will be the terminal in the upper left in your picture. I have a brake light switch, and a toggle, I did it this way so when I am poking along, and the engine is turning too few rpm, I can unlock the converter and eliminate the chuggle in the engine.

Andy4639 03-20-2009 08:13 AM

I have mine just hooked up with a toggle on the dash. I bought the vacuum switch but just did away with it. It want lock up under 45MPH no way with the B&M kit. I assume you have the internal wiring done already to the transmission for this. I had it done while they built the transmission.

americanmusc1e 03-20-2009 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy4639 (Post 3208218)
I have mine just hooked up with a toggle on the dash. I bought the vacuum switch but just did away with it. It want lock up under 45MPH no way with the B&M kit. I assume you have the internal wiring done already to the transmission for this. I had it done while they built the transmission.

thats how i'm going to do mine except i'm adding a brake switch too

Andy4639 03-20-2009 08:00 PM

Why do you want a brake switch. Mine works fine even without it.

Indyuke 03-20-2009 08:12 PM

Americanmuscle, GENERALLY, power goes to your (A) pin, top left on your pic. Ground is bottom left on your pic, I believe it's (D). And (B) is top right, part of the tranny overheat circuit. The reason I say generally is because GM had like 37 different ways they wired up the TCC. So double check. :(

If you want to control the TCC with a toggle switch, run power to (A) through a toggle switch, and put a jumper between the other two contacts.

The torque converter will lockup only when the tranny is in fourth AND you have the toggle flipped on.

Wire it up like this without the toggle and the converter will lock up every time it shifts to fourth gear. Hope this helps.

americanmusc1e 03-20-2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy4639 (Post 3209180)
Why do you want a brake switch. Mine works fine even without it.

in case i forget to flip the switch when i have to slam on my brakes

Indyuke 03-21-2009 12:21 AM

I think what andy means is, if it's wired to only lock up in fourth, as soon as you slam on your brakes, the transmission downshifts and the torque converter unlocks. Then when you get going again it upshifts and locks up again. Don't need a brake switch.

Andy4639 03-21-2009 05:03 AM

Correct if the truck is ever out of fourth gear it want ,Shouldn't lockup at all. I can even back up with the switch on.

LEEVON 03-21-2009 09:45 AM

If you don't want to mess with a switch, it's only slightly more difficult to put in a vacuum switch and brake cancel switch. I found them to be plentiful at the junkyard and free, I believe I pulled my vacuum switch from a K5, along with a tiny blue vacuum booster. 12v from pin A to the brake cancel switch, then to the vacuum switch and you're all set.

americanmusc1e 03-21-2009 09:58 AM

thanks guys

68_c10_on20s 08-04-2009 08:30 PM

Im kinda in the same boat and need some advice.I am going just the opposite route and need help wiring up the 700.My truck is a 93 model and it had a v6 with a 4l60e tranny I had a 350/700 ive installed and need to wire up the lockup now.The 700 only has 3 wires going to it and the e trans had 12. I still have the cpu hooked up only becouse im using the in tank fuel pump with a regulator on a carbed motor.Now I cut the plug off the e-tranny and ran a test light on all wires and they were all hot with the key on???? there was however 3 wires that looked the same color as the wires for the 700 plug but I dont wanna burn anything up so im looking for advice before I do anything.Heres a few picts I took with my cell to kinda help out.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...1/hoopty/3.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...1/hoopty/2.jpg

shortbed70 08-04-2009 10:51 PM

Hey that pic looks familiar I think its mine. I have a pressure swith tapped into the servo cover on the right side of trans and everyone is right about the wiring,top left a lower left d ,a=+,d+-. I have a pos. wire from a to switch and from other side of swith to fused battery sorce and ground to frame. locks up shortly after 4th gear. Some trans are different but if you do some research there are several kits to do this.

americanmusc1e 08-04-2009 11:26 PM

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/untitled.jpg

just kidding,

this is a funny time to bring this up!!! my 700r4 is at the transmission shop because it started leaking around the front seal area, So I took pictures of how it was hooked up when I took the transmission out. BUT MY BROTHER DELETED ALL THE PICTURES I TOOK!!!! so I will have to look it up again.

the inside pin is not used. and one pin should be grounded and one needs a hot wire for lockup.

I'd recommend not using your computer, and hooking the lockup to a toggle switch. you don't need a brake switch or a vacuum switch, and it will lock up in 3rd or 4th gear.

I'll look it up again soon (probably Sunday), right now I'm working 13hr days baling hay and I don't have much time

americanmusc1e 08-04-2009 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 3447947)
Hey that pic looks familiar I think its mine. I have a pressure swith tapped into the servo cover on the right side of trans and everyone is right about the wiring,top left a lower left d ,a=+,d+-. I have a pos. wire from a to switch and from other side of swith to fused battery sorce and ground to frame. locks up shortly after 4th gear. Some trans are different but if you do some research there are several kits to do this.

yeah sorry, I borrowed someone's picture. I don't remember who's it was

jojo 08-04-2009 11:41 PM

Haha it is an old thread but I'm glad ya'll dug this old thread up anyway because I just had my 700r installed by the tranny shop and I got questions. The shop didn't wire anything nothing is plugged in accept the speedo cable and the tv cable. And it runs okay.

Am I causing damage by not having it wired?

Why would I want it to lock up?

I've had it up on the highway and it seems to stay in 4th so why would I want it to not lock up (ie switched)?

You mentioned it locks up in 3rd or 4th, is that determined by the shop that rebuilt it?

What is the purpose of the brake or vacuum switch and is that the 3rd connection on that plug?

BAGNDRAGIT 08-04-2009 11:41 PM

hope this helps...

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/s...IT/700wire.gif

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/s...T/untitled.jpg

americanmusc1e 08-04-2009 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jojo (Post 3448063)
Haha it is an old thread but I'm glad ya'll dug this old thread up anyway because I just had my 700r installed by the tranny shop and I got questions. The shop didn't wire anything nothing is plugged in accept the speedo cable and the tv cable. And it runs okay.

Am I causing damage by not having it wired?

Why would I want it to lock up?

I've had it up on the highway and it seems to stay in 4th so why would I want it to not lock up (ie switched)?

You mentioned it locks up in 3rd or 4th, is that determined by the shop that rebuilt it?

What is the purpose of the brake or vacuum switch and is that the 3rd connection on that plug?

some say that you are not supposed to drive in 4th without a converter lockup (something to do with the tranny overheat problems since the 700r4 was designed to be locked up in 4th gear)

when you lock it up you will get better mileage because the engine and transmission are "locked" together. if its not locked up the converter will slip and you will waste some mileage, usually when the converter locks up in 4th you will drop 400-500rpm

all 700r4's should lock up in 3rd and 4th (I think, somebody correct me if I'm wrong)

the third connection on the plug powered a transmission overheat warning light (or gauge) when used in the factory application.

68_c10_on20s 08-05-2009 01:19 AM

ok so let me get this straight outa the 3 wires going to the tranny only 2 are needed if you have no gauge?This is my other question if you want it to lockup then why not just have a wire thats hot when the key is on? Ive had a few 700s in older trucks and never had a toggle switch but the tach always showed the drop in rpms on hwy speed.But then again ive always had the shops do the work too.

Now again I had a 94 and when i was on the freeway and had the cruise on if i tapped the brakes to turn the cruise off it would disengage the lockup i do know that.I am assuming thats what the brake switch it for right?

This has got me boggled and confused but it should be very simple right?

Heres another question to throw in the mix i do not have my kick down cable hooked up yet since i just got the truck running and when i leave off the line easy it goes thru all the gears very fast once i get this hooked up and adjusted right it should hold the gears longer right?

btw i took a pick of the plug and labled the wires now just witch ones to wire up to what?

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...1/hoopty/4.jpg