The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Speedway Mustang II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=759192)

Jafo20 03-13-2018 11:58 AM

Speedway Mustang II

Any issues with this setup? I was gonna order the standard height MII tubular setup with there crossmember. Says it lowers 3-4” with the standard....or of course more if you order the dropped spindles. I like the TCI setup too.

mr48chev 03-13-2018 12:08 PM

Re: Speedway Mustang II

A lot of guys are running them. You will probably get some feedback before the day is over.

On the drop spindles I'd be wanting to see some trucks with and without and decide. We all seem to have our own idea of perfect ride height and stance. Added to that is the height of the tire/wheel combo you are planning on running. If you are planning on taller tires but want it low then the dropped spindles are in order but if you are running something like a 215- 70 15 range tire it is a bit iffy. I know that sounds like going around in circles but everything factors in in the end product.

Jafo20 03-13-2018 12:11 PM

Thanks.... I post my wheels and tires sizes when I get home.

Jafo20 03-13-2018 01:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have these on hand .... I hope they work out.

whitedog76 03-13-2018 02:14 PM

I have an MII crossmember from CPP. From the look of pictures, etc... I'd be willing to say they're same kit or at least exact copies. From everything I can tell, they're the same as Heidt's too. I would say the 3-4 inches is a fair assessment on the drop for stock spindles, from what I've seen others do. Now, they are set up for a 56" WMS. So depending on the backspace of your wheel they may look tucked in pretty far.

Are you installing it on a 47-54 or 55-59 truck? Your rear wheels may be a little on the wide side.

Jafo20 03-13-2018 02:28 PM

1956 1/2 ton short bed
Posted via Mobile Device

whitedog76 03-13-2018 04:38 PM

I've seen alot of guys running 255 tires on their 2nd series trucks. 265's may work, it all depends on how deep you have them in the wheel well.

Root2812 03-16-2018 05:04 PM

My truck is a 1950 but the products for them should be the same. I went with the Fatman Fabrication Mustang II and I was very happy with it as I was installing it. The truck isn't done so I haven't driven it yet. My only complaint is that they sent coil springs that I have to cut. They don't tell you how much to cut, they just say put the whole truck together and trim until the lower arms are parallel to the ground with the weight of the truck down.

I don't like the trial and error idea. It makes me wish I had just ordered the adjustable coilover option instead of coil springs but I couldn't afford the upgrade at the time.

Thats one thing to think about since I bet all the manufacturers are the same.

_Ogre 03-16-2018 06:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
fatman mustII with standard spindles on the front on 58 truk brought down the frontend 7''
flipped axle in back on stock springs was also 7'' drop
nice level ride :D

_Ogre 03-16-2018 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Root2812 (Post 8213412)
My only complaint is that they sent coil springs that I have to cut. They don't tell you how much to cut, they just say put the whole truck together and trim until the lower arms are parallel to the ground with the weight of the truck down.

my fatman instruction said not to cut the springs until you have the truck all the way together
so i didn't and that is the way it rides today :D

ogre uncut :D

Root2812 03-20-2018 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ogre (Post 8213466)
my fatman instruction said not to cut the springs until you have the truck all the way together
so i didn't and that is the way it rides today :D

I installed my springs and they were way too long. So bad that they bowed out . I took them out and will have to try again when the truck is assembled.

DransportGarage 03-20-2018 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ogre (Post 8213464)
fatman mustII with standard spindles on the front on 58 truk brought down the frontend 7''
flipped axle in back on stock springs was also 7'' drop
nice level ride :D

I went the Fatman route also. Got the 2" dropped spindles and - three years later - they allowed a change to standard spindles at no charge. They even brought the ones I needed to the Street Rod Nationals. Treated me VERY well when I met them there.

Ogre has the recipe for the Fatman with standard spindles (assuming you like his stance, which I do).

_Ogre 03-21-2018 11:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Root2812 (Post 8216538)
I installed my springs and they were way too long. So bad that they bowed out . I took them out and will have to try again when the truck is assembled.

yep. i had to jack down on the frame from a beam to get the ball joints together, spring and shock installed
this is why fatman recommends not cutting the springs, it stayed this way with the body 95% together and motor and trans in
wasn't until the interior and glass went in that it finally compressed the springs
even after 99% complete (bottom pic), i drove it for a year: it continued to come down and inch

like dransport found out, i'm at 5'' under the cab, 2'' drop would put me way too low

_Ogre 03-21-2018 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
found this pic: frame is complete with motor, trans, gas tank, booster, x-members and final paint
cab on, core support, radiator, ac installed, doors and fenders on; truk is running and moving at this point
wiring 75%, stereo, amps, sub enclosure, partial interior (one seat)

spring still bowed out with the shock fully extended, cab appears to be 10'' off floor

Red Foreman 03-21-2018 04:43 PM

Orge, I really like how your sits! nice work!!

Root2812 03-21-2018 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ogre (Post 8217877)
yep. i had to jack down on the frame from a beam to get the ball joints together, spring and shock installed
this is why fatman recommends not cutting the springs, it stayed this way with the body 95% together and motor and trans in
wasn't until the interior and glass went in that it finally compressed the springs
even after 99% complete (bottom pic), i drove it for a year: it continued to come down and inch

like dransport found out, i'm at 5'' under the cab, 2'' drop would put me way too low

Thank Ogre. That helps alot because that is just how mine looked before I took them out. I don't know the difference in wight of the trucks or the fatman kit for TF vs AD trucks but if yours rides good I will just leave mine alone until I'm all done and trim if need be then.

I am sure this will help the OP in selecting his IFS kit too.