The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Fender installation predicament (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=766984)

MiraclePieCo 07-06-2018 08:00 PM

Fender installation predicament

1 Attachment(s)
If you've seen my progress on the "What did you do with your truck today" thread, you'll note the I just installed my inner fenders. Trouble is, there appears to be no way to get the outer fenders on over the inners.

Should I bolt the inners/outers together first and then install both as a unit?

MARTINSR 07-06-2018 08:31 PM

Re: Fender installation predicament

When I saw that post I was thinking the same thing, I believe the inner fenders have to be on and they are installed as an assembly.

Brian

MiraclePieCo 07-06-2018 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8295651)
When I saw that post I was thinking the same thing, I believe the inner fenders have to be on and they are installed as an assembly.

Brian

Question asked and answered!

After fiddling all morning struggling to install the outer fenders, I finally gave up, tore everything apart and bolted the inners and outers together as a unit. Result: fenders were installed in 5 minutes.

mr48chev 07-07-2018 12:04 PM

I think I remember going though that over 30 years ago but I always seem to have to do things twice because something doesn't jive the first time.

vintovka 07-11-2018 10:17 AM

I have found DIY actually means DIO (do it over --and over). Perseverance wins the day

evilokc 07-19-2018 11:00 PM

I installed my passenger fender over an already installed inner fender. if I remember right you have to remove the bolts on the top of the core support because the fender slides under there. if your fenders are painted though I wouldn't do it. you WILL scratch them. its messy. as a unit is the best way.

gigamanx 07-20-2018 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8295631)
If you've seen my progress on the "What did you do with your truck today" thread, you'll note the I just installed my inner fenders. Trouble is, there appears to be no way to get the outer fenders on over the inners.

Should I bolt the inners/outers together first and then install both as a unit?

Looks like you figured it out, but I did notice in your first pic that the core support bolts that attach the inner fender were already installed. One of those bolts goes through the outer fender.

I did mine with the inners installed, but you have to keep all the bolts loose until everything is in place. There is a surprising amount of moving and twisting to get all the holes to line up.

nvrdone 07-25-2018 12:11 AM

when I installed my front fenders, I fought with it for a long time. then my wife suggested I assemble everything on the garage floor. we did that, removed the front wheels & 3 of us were able to lift the front clip up and drop it right in. some times she scares me with how smart she is.

MiraclePieCo 07-25-2018 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvrdone (Post 8308270)
when I installed my front fenders, I fought with it for a long time. then my wife suggested I assemble everything on the garage floor. we did that, removed the front wheels & 3 of us were able to lift the front clip up and drop it right in. some times she scares me with how smart she is.

I frequently ask my wife's advice on car builds. Being a non-participant, she has a different way of looking at things than me, and sometimes that's what it takes to solve a problem.

MARTINSR 07-25-2018 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8308309)
I frequently ask my wife's advice on car builds. Being a non-participant, she has a different way of looking at things than me, and sometimes that's what it takes to solve a problem.

YEP, that can work!

Brian

mikebte 07-25-2018 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr48chev (Post 8296028)
I think I remember going though that over 30 years ago but I always seem to have to do things twice because something doesn't jive the first time.

If anything is worth doing, It is worth doing twice. I live and breath by that, or at least it seams to be the norm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvrdone (Post 8308270)

Every once in a while mine is the same way. I'll ask some random question and she will remember the answer better than myself.

vintovka 07-25-2018 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebte (Post 8308500)
If anything is worth doing, It is worth doing twice. I live and breath by that, or at least it seams to be the norm.

DIY = DIO (do it over) perseverance wins the day.