The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Best way to put motor back in ???? SURFACE RUST ON FLYWHEEL--- (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=809338)

72longstepper 07-18-2020 09:27 PM

Best way to put motor back in ???? SURFACE RUST ON FLYWHEEL---

Have two types of attachments. Carb plate and equalizer type. Are aluminum manifold bolt holes strong enough to support the weight of a SBC ? Or should I just use the equalizer attachment. I am leaving the clam shell mounts loose on the frame as I have read I should do. I. tried finding the thread I read about this but failed. Any tricks etc. you guys know ?

Had flywheel resurfaced but health problems set me back almost two years so there is surface rust even thought I had it wrapped in bubble wrap. Best way to clean it off ??

Thanks in advance for your generous help/comments.

mongocanfly 07-18-2020 09:42 PM

Re: Best way to put motor back in ???? SURFACE RUST ON FLYWHEEL---

I prefer the balance/equalizer beam to install engines...ive seen many of them lifted with carb bolts...but I wont ...
fine sand paper or scotchbrite might clean the flywheel
https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/rem...el-415850.html

clinebarger 07-18-2020 10:21 PM

Four 5/16" bolts are more than enough to support a SBC assuming the threads are in good shape.

Back when Gen 2 LT1's were popular, I had a lift plate that used the 4 6mm bolts that held the Injector Rails down......Never had a failure!

truckster 07-18-2020 10:35 PM

Since I work alone most of the time, I prefer the equalizer. It lets me get things lined up the way I want them more easily. I just dropped in an engine yesterday and the equalizer let me line it up with the bell housing without having to fight the engine's weight with one hand while installing bolts with the other.

I agree with fine sandpaper or Scotchbrite, followed by a good cleaning.

mongocanfly 07-18-2020 10:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and this is what happens when things don't hold...
when I bought this engine , it was in a running truck..they pulled the engine for me
when I went to pick it up they had it swinging off a huge forklift with nothing but a seatbelt looped over the fork and tied to the exhaust manifolds...told me they pulled 1000s and never lost one when I asked...I didn't even make it from the truck into the shop when the belt broke....
that equalizer bar is worth the money for installing...especially with a manual trans

wixthedog 07-19-2020 03:51 AM

I just use the carb plate with 5/16 bolts, simply because I do not own an equalizer! I've installed many SBC/trans combinations with success by myself, using a floorjack under the tranny to level things out.

cadillac_al 07-19-2020 09:33 PM

I figure the flywheel is just like brake rotors that rust up in a week if you don't drive the vehicle. It should smooth right off. It would probably rust while sitting inside the bell housing anyway.

I also don't trust aluminum manifold threads to hold an engine no matter what the engineers say.

burnin oil 07-19-2020 10:35 PM

I dont trust it either but I have done it before. Mostly when moving engines around before install or after removal.

garyd1961 07-20-2020 03:25 PM

I use the bracket/hooks that come from the factory. A leveler is good to have but I never used one. I start one bolt in the trans mount and then start one motor mount bolt. Then remove the bolt in the trans mount and move the tailshaft while using a short punch to line up the other motor mount.
My cousin who worked at a Chevy dealership when these trucks were new said they just drilled out the hole in the mount and used a washer.

toolboxchev 07-22-2020 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinebarger (Post 8777059)
Four 5/16" bolts are more than enough to support a SBC assuming the threads are in good shape.

Back when Gen 2 LT1's were popular, I had a lift plate that used the 4 6mm bolts that held the Injector Rails down......Never had a failure!

That has got me thinking. After my last engine rebuild I lost the threads in the Thermostat housing. Due to corrosion no doubt.

I can see what would happen to my primo next engine build. Aluminum Intake, ok the Bar thing has won.

toolboxchev 07-22-2020 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinebarger (Post 8777059)

Oh, your back, been some folks asking for you around here.

clinebarger 07-22-2020 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toolboxchev (Post 8780195)
That has got me thinking. After my last engine rebuild I lost the threads in the Thermostat housing. Due to corrosion no doubt.

I can see what would happen to my primo next engine build. Aluminum Intake, ok the Bar thing has won.

I personally hate those leveling bars, If I need to tilt the engine a little.....I use a ratchet strap around the engine crane boom.

I've installed Iron headed Big Blocks with lift plates & yes they had aluminum intakes.....I really don't see the issue?

Now that I think about it....I've installed several TBI big blocks using a lift plate & they only use 3 bolts instead of 4.

To each his own....If you don't feel comfortable, Do whatever you feel safe with!!!

72longstepper 07-24-2020 08:31 PM

TY all for the input much appreciated.