The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Project Underhaulin Update? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=725801)

MotorSeven 12-27-2016 01:56 PM

Project Underhaulin Update?

First I have to ask the administrators to bear with me on this. We started this project with the Admin's blessing, and we want to finish this that way.

Myself and other members have questions that must be addressed. Any member here that either donated money or time to this project deserves to know the disposition of Dawns truck, and that is all this thread is about.

The facts:

-09/19/2008, Members here with the blessing of the moderators took possession of Dawns truck with the promise and intent of overhauling it into running/driving order.

-The members involved as a collective gave our word that this would be done.

-A donation drive netted parts and money for the project and the re-build began and this involved well over a thousand members.

-Dawn died before the truck was finished on 12/17/2014

-The truck is not in the possession of here next of kin as of today.

I do not want this thread locked because we start pointing fingers. I am sure all of those involved want to know:

-Where is the truck and any left over parts?
-When can we turn it over to her next of kin?

I'll be glad to pickup the truck from where ever it is and trailer it to Dawns family member.

The bottom line is that we started out to do the right thing, and we still need to stand behind our word even though this did not turn out how we wanted it to turn out.

67ChevyRedneck 12-27-2016 02:26 PM

Re: Project Underhaulin Update?

I asked in a private message... it's a terrible situation.

I deleted it to clean out my inbox long ago, but the best I can recall is that when the person that had the truck most recently called to ask about her condition, one of the siblings pretended to be dawn and said she was getting better... and this was after she had actually passed :(

When I asked the truck was complete (or just needed stuff like the trim put back on) but basically done, but they didn't know what to do because Dawn didn't leave the truck to anyone in particular in the will, but they were sure one of the older grandsons was meant to get it, but he's still a minor, and I guess from knowing the family/situation, the guys building the truck knew it would just get sold immediately for cash if it was given to a family member of age before it could go to a grandson that would cherish it.

That's where they were stuck at and why the thread was closed.

That's all 2nd hand info (maybe 3rd) and to the best of my recollection.

MotorSeven 12-27-2016 06:33 PM

Ok, I'm going to talk to an attorney who is also a Judge in my county and find out who would(legally) be the rightful heir. Once that is established, the member that has or had the truck will be contacted and transport arranged by me to that heir.

I am going to PM Rusbuilt reference the location of the truck.

Liz 12-28-2016 01:11 AM

This has already been handled . I will get someone to update you, however involving legal counsel is not needed as its already been done.

Thanks

MotorSeven 12-28-2016 09:22 AM

Ok Liz thanks. I'll stand-by...........

RenoKeene 12-28-2016 10:32 AM

I too, as a donator, would like to know the status of this project. How has this "already been handled"?

70cst 12-28-2016 11:53 AM

I like many others also donated to this project - and like many well intended projects - At times life gets in the way of a well meaning efforts -

I am not as concerned as once I gave my donations away - it was no longer mine. Its just part of life.

Wishing all the best :metal:

67ChevyRedneck 12-28-2016 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotorSeven (Post 7806610)
Ok, I'm going to talk to an attorney who is also a Judge in my county and find out who would(legally) be the rightful heir. Once that is established, the member that has or had the truck will be contacted and transport arranged by me to that heir.

I am going to PM Rusbuilt reference the location of the truck.

Just being honest here... that's kind of a lame move. You don't even know the full situation.

dazza 12-28-2016 05:49 PM

I would think if she did have a will, the attorney or the person she named to oversee it would be the one to contact.
Also, maybe present to her children something like auctioning the truck, dividing the proceeds between them along with a percentage being donated to a charity in the name of Dawn and 67-72chevytrucks.com. Perhaps a charity that Dawn may have been affiliated with or given to in the past. Just a thought as perhaps it's much further along than this already.

An update would be appreciated.

MotorSeven 12-28-2016 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 7807265)
Just being honest here... that's kind of a lame move. You don't even know the full situation.

I don't think it's lame, but you are correct I didn't know the full situation and neither do hundreds of forum members that volunteered or donated. If you look back through the 3 main threads reference this project, all communication on the forum basically stopped a year ago. The original Underhaulin thread has been closed/locked. This has lead to suppositions, questions, accusations and frustration. Heck, I am guilty of being frustrated and walking away almost a year ago.

Anyway, I was just contacted by Rusbuilt who is in possession of the truck and parts. Just like me and a few dozen others that took this thing on, Russ is guilty of good intention, but was unable get this done in a timely manner. Russ said that he does not post much anymore because he has taken the brunt of the negative comments reference the project stalling once again.

The truck is a couple of work weekends away from completion. The last time he talked to Dawn she asked if the truck could be given to her Grandson, but did not tell him which grandson it was...she has several. Russ assures me that he wants the truck finished and "disposed of" properly and these were the last suggestions:

a)Finish the truck and give it to one of Dawns daughters(pick one).

b)Finish the truck and sell it on Ebay, then donate the money between all of Dawns grandsons. they are all under 18, so accounts would need to be set up so the money is distributed when they reach 18.

c)try and find out which grandson Dawn was referring too and give it to him when he becomes 18 which would require member storage for several years.

I know a bit about the background of Dawns children. Needless to say, it's complicated, so just throwing names in a hat, and handing over this truck to the 'winner" is not a viable option. The reason I want to run this by an attorney is because I want to find out what the rules are before we play this game. I want no legal backlash on any forum members due to ignorance of civil law.

Keep in mind, the truck we have today is not Dawns truck ...legally. Her cab was junk, so the original titled vehicle simply does not exist anymore. The truck we have is titled in Russ's name because it was the only way to continue moving forward with the build. Russ said he has over $5K in this truck and the only thing he wants back is to see it go to whomever the forum members deem "worthy" in Dawns family.

Folks, we still have work to do. we will still need volunteers to do labor. There are duplicate parts that need to be sold so missing parts can be bought. I don't want this to fall only on Russ's shoulders, the rest of us that started this thing will still have to pitch in(myself included).

Let me know everyone's thoughts, but please no finger pointing. If we start arguing, then nothing will get done...again.

GR8-68 12-28-2016 07:00 PM

What state is the truck in ? I say finish it up auction it off and donate money to a charity. What did she pass on from ? Cancer ?

MotorSeven 12-28-2016 07:51 PM

Yep...the big C.

I know it's a Charlie foxtrot, but we initially wanted to help out Dawn which in turn would help her family. If it goes to charity, then the initial intent is lost. Believe me, I have had the same thoughts of donating it to charity, and it's not out of the question.

Grumpy old man 12-28-2016 07:53 PM

"Russ said he has over $5K in this truck and the only thing he wants back is to see it go to whomever the forum members deem "worthy" in Dawns family." ?

I don't see how ANY "forum members" have any choice but to give it back to the family in whatever stage it currently is in (which should have happened when she passed ) and let them handle it as a family the way it should be done ?

It's legal property (hers) why would anyone have to finish anything ? it's a failed project ,it still has value , it's disposition belongs with her family .Period .

I'm surprised a probate attorney hasn't already seized it ? Time for Russ to sign the title load all the extra parts in it and hand it to the family . call a roll back wrecker and say bye,bye .

It would probably be appropriate to post multiple pictures of it's current state for all the members/donators to see where their $ and parts went ?

MotorSeven 12-29-2016 11:42 AM

My first thoughts on this were exactly that, go pick up the truck and parts & deliver it to the family. I'm still leaning that way unless enough members want to do a final work weekend on it.

I'm going to get in touch with Russ and go shoot some photo's of the truck as soon as possible.

I'm also getting in touch with Becky, Dawns daughter to verify a few things such as a lack of a will.

Liz 12-30-2016 02:52 PM

I asked those in charge of it to reply here. I was under the impression they were speaking to the OP directly via phone as well. I will ask again for them to update here. I do know they did talk with the family and came to an agreement on what was to be done. I do know it is being handled and was discussed with legal counsel. I do not know the update specifics to relay, hense my not telling you all directly. Thanks for your patience. I will ask again that this is updated

Rusbuilt 12-30-2016 03:19 PM

Friends I have no intentions on keeping this truck. I just wanted to make that very clear from the start. My amount of money invested in this project means nothing, I did not do it for any of you guys, I took this project on because I saw it as a way to give back to someone less fortunate. I love these trucks and I've made some great life long friends because of them.

Having said that my heart is still in this project and I intend to finish it. I have been in contact with Dawn's daughter after boardmember 5150 Bryan Ashely visited their home and met with her. She and I have emailed back and fourth. At first she was hesitant about the whole thing because she said that her mom wanted her son to have the truck. Dawn never gave me a name of the grandson that she wanted to have a truck. So we felt like in order to be fair (because her other two children were incarcerated and unable to speak On their Childs behalf) we should sell the truck and divide the funds amongst all of her grandchildren. That way everything was fair. Dawn's daughter thought that was fair but also had a thought of taking part of those funds and building a headstone memorial for Dawn and Clyde that they had designed before she passed. I personally felt like that was a great idea seeing how it would honor them and it was originally their truck.

I had an offer on the truck several months back and presented it to all of the guys who have been actively involved in the hands-on portion of this truck. I gentleman offered $10,000 in its current state and I left it in the hands of the others involved. Only one said sell it. The others felt like we could get more money if we were to finish it and sell it on eBay.

I am willing to do whatever. I am moving into my new shop for the next few weeks. I'll get the truck out of storage, moved over to the shop and snap some pictures in its current state.
Posted via Mobile Device

63 & 64 Bowties 12-30-2016 05:09 PM

I've been in contact with Tiffany, starting in 2008 when I set up the online account for donations. And with Becky for over a year. (Both are Dawn's daughters)
I've kept in touch with Becky all along, but I've lost contact with Tiffany. Her email account is no longer valid.
For me personally, I'd just like to see an update from time to time. I don't think anyone expected this to be completed in a couple months, but when all of a sudden everyone involved in the "hands-on" work seemed to fall off the face of the earth, it is concerning.
MotorSeven and I have talked and I gave him Becky's phone and email info after asking her if it was okay to do so. Russ, it sounds like you already have those.
Thank you to everyone for what you're doing.

MotorSeven 01-03-2017 09:10 AM

Sorry, had company for 4 days....back on it.

Russ & Bill, thanks for the update info!

63 & 64 Bowties 01-04-2017 12:25 PM

Sounds good.
It would be GREAT to have some current pictures if you can get them.

El Dorado Jim 01-04-2017 04:02 PM

subscribed

69sinker 01-08-2017 09:08 PM

Subscribed

MotorSeven 01-24-2017 01:08 PM

Update: We were waiting for Russ to get everything moved to his new shop before I go over and take some pictures. It's been a few weeks, so I'm thinking any day now....

Grumpy old man 03-12-2017 12:05 PM

What ever happened ?:smoke:

MotorSeven 03-17-2017 04:03 PM

Unfortunately Russ has not responded to my emails....I will will be attempting phone contact this week. Y'all will know something as soon as I do......

63 & 64 Bowties 03-17-2017 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusbuilt (Post 7809436)
I am moving into my new shop for the next few weeks. I'll get the truck out of storage, moved over to the shop and snap some pictures in its current state

Rus, everyone is very patient and trying not to point fingers. This was your post right after Christmas.