The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Zippys 50' (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=699131)

Iplumb 02-27-2016 01:01 PM

Zippys 50'

1 Attachment(s)
I figured it is about time to say thank you to everyone and start our projects build thread. This site and all of the great builds and builders has been not only an inspiration but an incredible resource - for that - Thank You.

A little background...

My wife and I have always done our best to keep our children going down the right path, it is so challenging and tempting for kids with all of the exposure and accessibility today.

Summer 2013 our son Jacob who was 15 at the time says "Dad - I really like those old curvy pick up trucks...". We searched around talked about it and said lets try to find one to have some fun with. We found one on Craigslist and bought it October 2013.

So here it is the day we brought it home.

Little did I know what I got myself into. I originally thought we could get it running and driving, then begin to work on it. After finding out the safety limitations IE original brake system, 216 motor and gearing I figured out real quick that was not going to work. We live on an Island with thruway access only - not a place for my soon to be driving son in this truck. I am a plumber by trade and fairly handy but never have I done anything like this.

After some thought - we decided to rebuild this cool old truck. What a great way to spend some awesome time with my son - teach him all that I could and continue him down this life long path that my wife and I started him down 15 years ago.

So here we go...

Iplumb 02-27-2016 01:10 PM

Re: Zippys 50'

4 Attachment(s)
I cleared out a little space at work and brought the truck there.
And the fun started - we stripped it down while documenting the process, and tagging all the parts and pieces. These pictures are from November 2013.

Iplumb 02-27-2016 01:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Our plan is to make a driver - but make it cool. After lots of research, I began to order the parts and pieces to begin reconstruction.

The plan was:

350 Small Block
700R4
Post Rear End
Wildwood Disc Brakes
Power Rack
Total Cost involved 4 link / coil over rear suspension
Total Cost Involved Custom Front Suspension with Coil Overs
Gas tank out of the cab

Jacob and I began to fit and tack in all the boxing plates and components.
I do not call myself a welder, but have no problem making the blue light turn on. If it was my own truck, I would have welded everything myself.
I called a good friend who is an awesome welder, and asked him to come over and weld Jacobs frame - he said no problem.

This is where the story gets really cool - he showed up and told Jacob to put on his helmet. I thought he just wanted Jake to watch.

Nope.

He taught him - and made HIM weld it!
All I could do was think - wow - how cool - how many 15 year old kids can say they welded their own frame?

I have a couple videos of him welding but couldn't upload them.

Here are a few progress pics - including back on mock up wheels.

tiddlar 02-27-2016 04:42 PM

How very cool, my dad let me drive his 50 in high school. He didnt know how to build things and therefore i dont either :waah: your kid will have an expensive addiction now :metal:

dug224 02-27-2016 06:53 PM

Off to a great start. Keep the pictures coming.

FarmerSid 02-28-2016 09:04 AM

My boys are much younger but I applaud your child raising attitude. My wife and I are trying to do the same thing. Keep up the good work.

Advanced Design 02-28-2016 09:18 AM

Way to go Iplumb! Love the project and concept. We kept our kids involved in projects and now are doing same with our Grandsons.

Iplumb 02-28-2016 11:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Guys for the kind words.

One of the coolest things along the way is how excited guys got about a 15 year old doing this project. People we bought items from, people who offered their talents and knowledge - everyone was excited for Jacob.

We bought a 79 10 bolt rear end from one of those guys for $75, and Jacob Cleaned it up and Sand Blasted it.
We rebuilt it adding 3:73 gears and a Posi unit along with disc brakes.

It just has Eastwoods Rust encapsulator on it for now until we paint the frame and components.

Iplumb 03-01-2016 07:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Next was to figure out where the motor and trans mounts needed to be.
We had to put the cab on to figure that out. After we tacked in the mounts, we put the front clip and bed back on just to see how it sat. It looked pretty cool - what a transformation from when we started.

Iplumb 03-02-2016 06:15 AM

5 Attachment(s)
We removed all the sheet metal and started on the plumbing.
Stainless Brake lines
Stainless Gas line
2 1/2" Stainless Exhaust

Advanced Design 03-02-2016 07:40 AM

Good progress. Are you sure you've never done anything like those? Can't tell from here.

oldman3 03-02-2016 10:27 AM

Nice work...Jim

84blaze 03-02-2016 05:58 PM

Did you make that brake booster bracket?

Looks wicked so far BTW,

Elder Rogue 03-02-2016 07:02 PM

Very cool!

My son and I build his first truck when he was 15. Could not talk him into a AD he picked a 70 Chevy short wide.

If he didn't work on the trunk I didn't work on the truck.

We took it down to the frame and then came back up with a nice driver.

My son turns 38 this Saturday and still builds his own rides.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=461209

You son is leaning skills and will also appreciate his truck so much more than if you just threw him a set of keys when he turns 16.

Good Job Dad!

Iplumb 03-02-2016 07:11 PM

Thank you all.
84 Blaze - the brake booster bracket is from Total Cost Involved.

Elder Rogue - That is pretty cool. I can't wait to read that link. Jacob and I have the same deal - if he doesn't work on it - I won't work on it. I think thats why we are two and a half years in.

ptc 03-03-2016 02:54 PM

What a great project and perfect way to get your son involved. I wish my son had more time to come spend here with me on mine..... I need alot of DIRTY WORK done!!!!! :lol:

Iplumb 03-03-2016 04:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
We bought a 350 SBC from a guy at work for $200. Had it rebuilt into a long block by a local machine shop. Jacob painted it and we started putting the pieces on it.

If I ever do this again, I will buy a crate motor.

alaska gasser 03-04-2016 01:43 AM

Very nice build!

Iplumb 03-05-2016 06:58 AM

5 Attachment(s)
After we completed building the Frame, we stripped it down and then blasted and painted it and all the parts and pieces.

It was amazing how much faster re assembly is than fabricating.

MIKESAD50 03-05-2016 10:51 AM

Looking very nice. gonna be a cool truck

Scott2 03-05-2016 12:04 PM

Great job - should be a sweet truck! I'm also building my 1951 around TCI components. I'm curious about the exhaust - is that a kit? If so, where did you get it? Any issues welding it up?

Scott

Iplumb 03-06-2016 09:31 AM

Scott2,

It was a generic kit I bought from summit. Flow master U-Fit Dual Pipe Kits 815936
2 1/2" Stainless. I did need to buy a couple extra fittings, the mufflers and the exhaust tips.
I searched online and found the rubber hangers but do not remember where from.

It fit up and welded up just fine, it is TIG welded.

I had the mock up motor and transmission place with the headers attached. We had the frame level and then i placed 2 x 4's across the top of the frame and mocked up the pieces using tie wire to hold them up. I hung the mufflers in place first. Another little tip - the stainless is fairly expensive so 2" PVC schedule 40 pipe is just under 2 1/2" outside diameter, and cheap. I used it as filler pipe while placing / cutting fittings as it slipped inside and worked great.
After we had the layout and all cutting done, we just started at the header flanges and tacked our way to the rear.
One thing I would do differently, there are no joints in this exhaust. It is welded one piece front to back. So it came off the chassis in one piece tacked up, then we bench welded it completely then re installed after the chassis was painted but before the rear end was bolted in place.

I would install some of the cool stainless clamps to make it two pieces.

Hope that helps.

Mike

iowaboynca 03-06-2016 02:29 PM

That's some nice work. You've got a lot done in a short amount of time and your son will tell the story to your grandkids...nice job!

joedoh 03-06-2016 02:39 PM

good googly moogly how about a sungalsses warning to look at that motor!

great project!

Iplumb 03-08-2016 07:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
iowaboyinca,
I wish it was a short amount of time. I at first was shooting for one year. That wasn't even close. We made great and quick progress on the mechanicals, but then stalled with sheet metal. Took way longer than I thought. Just last week we brought the cab to the bodyshop. we are just at 2 years 4 months now.

The new plan is on the road & done by end of summer.

joedoh,
We had to buy all the parts and pieces for the motor. I figured that every old guy like me would say "lets see whats under the hood...." so we are planning to surprise them a bit. Upon original purchase the cost difference between polished and non really was not much IE - the vintage air compressor was a $50 uncharge.

We took all the sheet metal to be blasted and primed.