The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   looking to change from a quadrajet to an edelbrock carb - any suggestions? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=122348)

Brently 10-06-2004 01:40 PM

looking to change from a quadrajet to an edelbrock carb - any suggestions?

What will i have to have to make a swap from the original quadrajet to an edelbrock? i still want to drive this truck everyday so i don't want a massive gas drinking carb on it - do you suggest a 600 cfm? what about the hookup? do you suggest a manual choke or electric? spacer? do you even suggest an edelbrock carb? help - i am tired of trying to get my quadrajet set exactly right so it will run well - any help will be appreciated - oh yeah if you do suggest getting the edelbrock, does anyone have one or suggest where i can get one reasonable? thanks, Brent

poff 10-06-2004 04:21 PM

I would replace it with a new Edelbrock Q-jet. Properly tuned, it should not make a difference in fuel economy. A 780 CFM Q-jet meters fuel as it needs, if your foot is not in it you should get about as good a mileage as you can. Q-jets are very good carbs. Rebuilds usually suck but the new ones are nice. Contrary to popular belief they are easy to tune.

ac102nv 10-06-2004 05:53 PM

A new Q-jet would be a good choice...so would something like the Edel 1406. But if you want to be sure it's right, call Edelbrock. They make their money recommending carbs every day. Personal experience says that between a little knowledge and the book that comes with the 1406 these are great carbs. And as a side note, Summit Racing sells factory remanufactured Edel carbs, and that can save you a few $$$.

Tynee 10-06-2004 07:32 PM

I like my 1406 (600 cfm, electric choke) so far. Install was reasonably easy, although I still having done anything about getting my passing gear cable hooked back up.

1972C10 10-06-2004 08:28 PM

you will need an adaptor plate or spacer to run an edelbrock carb on a stock Q-Jet Intake. I have a really snazzy edelbrock spacer that swirls from holley/edelbrock bore pattern to q-jet.

Brently 10-07-2004 07:17 AM

edelbrock carb

you say that contrary to popular belief they are easy to tune - how so? What will one of these carbs run me? am i better off buying new than used? 600cfm? thanks

pierce 10-07-2004 07:50 AM

An Edelbrock 1401 is an exact replacement for the original Q-Jet down to the location of the fuel line and mech choke. A 1406 has an electric choke, nice upgrade option. New they run around $250. Check out a Jegs catalog they have all the models listed.

Huck 10-07-2004 08:31 AM

I'm running Edelbrock 1406 with elec choke. They are ok.
Here tell you can get a rebuilt Q-jet carb from Autozone for around $99 with a warranty which may be a simple solution.
As mentioned above, a new edelbrock 1406 runs around $250. but requires either a different intake or an adapter for the factory spred bore. The edelbrock that is a copy of the original spred bore that Pierce mentions costs over $500 which is a bit too pricy for me.
If fuel economy is your objective, I would go to an HEI ignition first, then marry an arab babe who's family owns oil wells!

mcmlxix 10-07-2004 10:55 AM

FYI: I just bought a Q-Jet for a 402BBC from Checkers... Its was $179 for a rebuilt. The NEW one was almost $400... OUCH!

kingsolver72 10-07-2004 08:30 PM

I am not knocking q-jets.I think they are good carbs.The problem with rebuilds are that they can sit for a long time.Thus gaskets and seals and such tend to dry up and shrink.I have had to exchange many rebuilted carbs to finally get one that works.I think the reason these rebuilt carbs sit on a self for a year or so is because of technology,ie fuel injection.Technology is cool too.I think I would find a new carb,whatever brand.

jlmtrout 10-08-2004 07:11 AM

I bought a remanufactured 1405 (manual choke) from Jeg's. All I did was bolt it on, hook it up and go. I've been very happy with it and as an added bonus, no gaskets below the fuel level, therefore no chance of fuel leaks. Just my opinion and experience. Good luck and keep on truckin'.....Jerry