The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Is this a lift kit? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=759477)

C3pilot 03-17-2018 10:02 AM

Is this a lift kit?

3 Attachment(s)
Tying to figure out if this an after market lift or some home made back job? Just picked up this ‘71 k10 that needs a total restore. It looks like it might have a 2’’ litt on it. Can y’all take a look at the brackets to see if it’s hard some sort of aftermarket crossmember? Does it look like the engine mounts have been altered too? Looks like it’s sitting low in the frame.

Any pics of what an original (cross member engine mounts) looks like installed would be awesome!

C3pilot 03-17-2018 10:22 AM

Re: Is this a lift kit?

*home made “hack” job.

Dang autocorrect

C3pilot 03-17-2018 10:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are 2 pics of the drivers side engine mount/cross member to frame attachment. Take a look at the spacers between the engine mount and frame. Do you think this is part of the lift kit too or is this an original install?

Thx

mongocanfly 03-17-2018 11:40 AM

bigtime homemade...

not sure about the spacer between axle and spring...that could be store bought...but I'm certain that pipe nipple spacers and square tubing crossmember drops wernt factory...
the dirt dawber nest could have been a factory option but I'd have to research it...haha

nonstop 03-17-2018 11:55 AM

It looks like quite a bit of a hack job! Lift blocks on the front axle is a big negative and is dangerous. Either bring the truck back to stock or get the right springs and blocks for the rear. Properly designed, you can get rid of the transfer case drop and engine crossmember drop.

B. W. 03-17-2018 12:01 PM

That's a "special" lift/drop kit! The trans cross member looks like a later year GM.

The front axle blocks need to go they are not safe. Really, the entire mess needs to go, IMO.

andyh1956 03-17-2018 12:48 PM

The strongest part looks like the Dirt Dauber Nest!;)

sweetk30 03-17-2018 02:02 PM

transfer case crossmember is from 85-87-91 square body stuff.

that truck SCREAM'S :devil: hack job from hell

C3pilot 03-17-2018 07:21 PM

So wait a minute.., your telling me I might have to replace the dirt dauber nest too!!

Ya, it’s hacked up pretty good. But it was reflected in the price so it’s not a huge deal. Now I need some help figuring out what isn’t original and needs to be replaced. Engine, transmission, suspension steering along with ALOT of other stuff has to go. Can someone send or post some pics of what it’s supposed to look like?

Thx, keep the info coming!

B. W. 03-17-2018 11:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
It should look like this: (when it's in pieces!)
Not sure how much of what you wanted, I have more pics of most things if you want em

C3pilot 03-17-2018 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B. W. (Post 8214405)
It should look like this: (when it's in pieces!)
Not sure how much of what you wanted, I have more pics of most things if you want em

B.W. That’s exactly what I needed!! And I agree with your earlier comment that it all needs to go. And it will. Once I get the cab, engine, transmission and everything else pulled I’ll start trying to find the correct cross members.

How about some pics of your front and rear frame horns. Yep those need attention too.

Thx

C3pilot 03-17-2018 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonstop (Post 8213958)
It looks like quite a bit of a hack job! Lift blocks on the front axle is a big negative and is dangerous. Either bring the truck back to stock or get the right springs and blocks for the rear. Properly designed, you can get rid of the transfer case drop and engine crossmember drop.

Nonstop, agreed. Going back to stock or correct aftermarket springs. Not sure I can see how it can be done with out the cross members?? Do you have any pics?

Thx

nonstop 03-18-2018 11:34 AM

Unfortunately I don’t (mine is a 1985). Really, only thing it looks like you might need is the trans cross member. Start by taking all the washers out of the engine cross member and bolting it straight to the frame (looks like the original was tweaked to be lowered. Bolt your newly acquired transmission cross member to the frame and go from there. If you stay stock height, you shouldn’t need to do anything else different. If you lift it 2 inches, probably unlikely you will need to lower the transmission cross member. Many kits have angle built into the springs/blocks to adjust for pinion angle.

C3pilot 03-18-2018 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonstop (Post 8214669)
Unfortunately I don’t (mine is a 1985). Really, only thing it looks like you might need is the trans cross member. Start by taking all the washers out of the engine cross member and bolting it straight to the frame (looks like the original was tweaked to be lowered. Bolt your newly acquired transmission cross member to the frame and go from there. If you stay stock height, you shouldn’t need to do anything else different. If you lift it 2 inches, probably unlikely you will need to lower the transmission cross member. Many kits have angle built into the springs/blocks to adjust for pinion angle.

Copy all! Going to start pulling the engine and transmission next week. After that blocks will come out and cab off. Then the frame work starts! Any idea where I can source a transmission cross member?

special-K 03-19-2018 09:55 PM

Is that a lift kit? NO. A lift kit is something you buy that comes with everything needed to lift your truck. This is a "homemade lift".

It's actually a transfer case crossmember. 4wds don't use a transmission crossmember. I think you could find one on the parts board. Check with Duane, Rippen something or other is his user name. He is on the K/5 board a lot parting those

B. W. 03-20-2018 11:19 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Pics as requested, before & after. Yeah, my frame horns were in very good condition! Couldn't find pics of the rear, try & get some today.

C3pilot 03-23-2018 08:55 PM

God pics! Makes me realize how much work mines going to be! Blocks have been pulled hubs rebuilt so at least I can roll it now.