The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Tri plus oem parts ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=363197)

budder71 09-17-2009 11:26 PM

Tri plus oem parts ?

I have seen on a couple of for sale threads some TRI PLUS doors,fenders, etc
and they are explaining that Tri Plus has "retooled" there press/stamping process and the parts are up to NOS standards on thickness and tooling..
Has anyone else heard this or used any of the Tri Plus parts lately ? and if so what is the quality and fit ?

BIGBLU 72 09-17-2009 11:55 PM

Re: Tri plus oem parts ?

My dad sold them thru his biz and used them when he built his 68 crew cab dooley and i never heard any gripe from him about or any of his customers...my .02

HuggerCST 09-18-2009 12:02 AM

I agree, from what I've seen and heard, most of it is pretty good stuff. I think Tri-plus is made by "Key" parts.

jaros44sr 09-18-2009 12:53 AM

Heck, over 3/4 of my truck is Tri-Pro, with no problems! Even bought OEM front fenders, just to see how they would fit up with remanufactored parts...no problem! You will have to shim and adjust any body part you put on your truck, so why not start with a dent and rust free body panel that does not need a 1/2 lb of bondo.

Guys will bash the product, but give it a chance and then you can decide. If it doesn't work for you , you can always resell it

vtblazer 09-18-2009 07:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Some of the best after market sheet-metal out there IMO.

...and they sell blazer specific doors! :metal:

D.PASSMORE 09-18-2009 10:32 AM

VT,
How did the doors line up with the body. Any 2x4 adjustments??? Is there a big difference in weight?

Budder71, not to hijack your thread but I've always have been told that tri-plus is the best AM Sheetmetal. I know that there rocker panels are better than OE.

Burt4x4 09-18-2009 10:52 AM

Hy VT, why does the box the door is in only go up to 71? Is the 72 door different?
:mm:

turp mcspray 09-18-2009 10:55 AM

I use a lot of aftermarket sheetmetal, and have found the Tri-plus stuff to be some of the higher quality on the market. I am also curious about how your doors fit. It seems that door shells across the board, have some fitment issues. I hope your blazer doors work out well, and will be waiting to hear about them.

budder71 09-18-2009 11:13 AM

BUMP BUMP !!! thanks guys for the information !!!! great feedback....

Luba 09-18-2009 11:28 AM

Where are these parts made?

litebulblsc 09-18-2009 12:10 PM

Yes 72 doors are different. They use the plastic door panels and have an extra screw

1sik52 09-18-2009 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuggerCST (Post 3524698)
I agree, from what I've seen and heard, most of it is pretty good stuff. I think Tri-plus is made by "Key" parts.

Is this true?

Rochlow 09-18-2009 09:00 PM

Does anyone have a site or contact to order triplus parts?

lolife99 09-18-2009 09:31 PM

Member/Vendor: Tri-Pro Automotive

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/member.php?u=29975

Rochlow 09-18-2009 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 3526195)

Thanks.. Still trying to learn how the boards work...

Rochlow 09-18-2009 10:30 PM

Sweet.. A place to buy part and not have to drive 20hrs to get them...

vtblazer 09-19-2009 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burt4x4 (Post 3525213)
Hy VT, why does the box the door is in only go up to 71? Is the 72 door different?
:mm:

Correct, different door, different part number all for the small screw under the wing window. :chevy:

71 super 09-19-2009 10:15 PM

Just a fyi I installed a tri plus rocker in one side of a new cab for little brother's 4x4 and a NOS gm in the other side, the tri plus fit better than the GM unit did as was eqal in heft thickness etc. I sold a pair of NOS rockers after this because the tri plus are that good.

1sik52 09-20-2009 12:14 AM

I got a pair of Tri Plus rockers and so far the passenger side isnt fitting worth a sh#*!!! I hope it gets better especially being since i have to redo the drivers side

bamafrost 11-17-2011 11:07 AM

Re: Tri plus HAS to be better than Goodmark

Haven't used TriPlus...wish I had. Have struggled with every item I bought from Goodmark. They make crap stuff in my opinion. Cheap, flimsy junk that doesn't begin to fit. I am out thousands using their junk doors, hood, tailgate, fenders...agggh!).

TriPlus, or re-skinned OE would HAVE to be better.

D.PASSMORE 11-17-2011 01:09 PM

I agree with the rockers. I was impressed with Tri-Plus when I matched with a NOS set of Rockers. Curious about the doors: metal thickness, weight and fit...

Jkmyers84 12-31-2011 12:10 AM

I am also interested in the fit of the doors and on a tri plus tailgate I am in need of all that for my blazer.
Posted via Mobile Device

dwcsr 12-31-2011 12:24 AM

Doors are tricky and your lucky if it fits with no reworking. The Door they sell fits a truck they have and the door opening on that truck. Your door opening may or may not be different. To think your Door opening is exactly the same as all trucks of the same year or model and is still the same dimension as it was when it came off the line 40 years ago is not realistic.

NOS is not a standard of fit, OEM is. NOS is nothing more than New Old Stock and still could be a repop that's 20 years old. With that said Triplus and Dynacorn have some of the best fitting panels and doors.

jaros44sr 12-31-2011 09:41 AM

i agree with everything mr. chapman said....

i hung those doors on their truck, but, i replaced the full floor, and firewall. so, i had the advantage to put things where i wanted them for fit! i think from what i read, that the problem was with the fit of the window frame (top, rear), but you should not have a problem in that area, since you wont have it to deal with

i also hung a set on my jimmy with out problems. i believe they have since retooled them to address those issues. call tim christian and ask where you can buy the new sets, they are made to OER specs., best doors out there, unless you find a set of OEM doors without rust, but good luck on that!

pay attention on the shipping charges, as i almost got hosed on that.

good luck, and let us know how you make out

cant answer your question on the taigate....

exploderjim 12-31-2011 10:20 AM

I bought the tailgate and it wasn't to bad. It seemed fairly close to the original but over all looked good and fit well not to mention the work saved not having bang out all the dents and fix the rust.

jlscamaro 02-05-2012 10:53 PM

I bought a front bed panel for my 78 that is tri plus key parts and its junk missing two bolt holes the threads are wrong in the square nuts i trimmed the bed and it still didn't fit right good thing this is a work truck

BigCountryx 02-05-2012 11:56 PM

I ended up going with tri-plus front fenders for my project. Haven't installed them yet, but feel pretty close in weight as the oem stuff. Stange thing was that they have small Goodmark stickers on the boxes, hmmmm.
Posted via Mobile Device

BurlyCrew 07-28-2013 09:35 PM

Can anyone give me an idea of what companies sell and/or use Tri-Plus parts, etc....???

jaros44sr 07-28-2013 11:36 PM

Hey crew, i think they changed their name to top banana. Theyre located in the va. area....ill see if i can get any more info.

BurlyCrew 07-29-2013 12:52 AM

Found them thank you....
Posted via Mobile Device

GMCNUT 11-06-2013 01:44 PM

reviving a very old chain of posts here because I am debating buying a replacement metal floor for my bed, and wonder if any of you have done this and would suggest one brand over any other for thickness, fit etc? I was already leaning toward tri-plus or Dynacorn....thoughts?

BlazinC5 11-13-2013 12:27 AM

I just recently finished up some posts in my build thread, on the floor and rocker replacment of my blazer. I haven't finished with the drivers side yet and the outer rocker for it is a tri-plus. So far with that rocker I have a bunch of mods to do to it, to get it to work. However the passenger side one looks like it would fit alot better. I don't know why they would vary so much. And I don't know how good a dynacorn would be, but I don't think it would be worse than the tri-plus. Providing they are the same guage of material. But these are just my thoughts.

blownz 11-13-2013 05:55 PM

This is there new website for parts. They are also on Facebook.
http://www.topbananaparts.com/

Hawghauler 05-02-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blownz (Post 6362247)
This is there new website for parts. They are also on Facebook.
http://www.topbananaparts.com/

I was looking for a tailgate when I stumbled onto this thread. I checked out top banana and it seems it will cost $50 more for shipping to WA than the cost of the tailgate. Not practical IMHO.:sumo:

69-72 05-04-2014 08:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The triplus doors I bought for my jimmy wouldn't fit. Couldn't get a gap on the rear. Here is the reason why, the area at the hinge mounting point is formed different, I kept the square set the same on both doors but there is at least an 1/8" difference between the two. Luckily I found a set of nice truck doors and cut them down.

69-72 05-04-2014 08:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And the repro

SierraMtns 07-29-2017 12:42 AM

Any updates on the Tri Plus sheet metal? Does KeyParts make sheet metal for Tri Plus?

Thanks