The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Working Man's Burbon (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=698377)

Average Joe 09-16-2016 11:15 PM

Re: Working Man's Burbon

I am green with envy!:lol:

Seriously though, it looks great!!

HO455 09-18-2016 04:24 PM

Thanks. I feel the same about most of the trucks here.

HO455 10-06-2016 11:33 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Out of the paint booth! Time to start bolting stuff on. Yeah baby!:metal:

HO455 10-07-2016 10:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
If you leave enough money under a pillow the glass fairy comes by. :lol: The down side of having glass is after this much time reaching in through the window frames to get stuff from the back it's frustrating to have to go all the way around to the back and open the hatch. :waah: And I'm still stuck on the second row windows as I still have no seals. I left a message at Precision Rubber but no word back yet. In the process of installing the dash pad I noticed the blower motor resistor just hanging in the heater by the wires. Most of the phenolic plate that held it in position was gone. One less thing to catch on fire. Not much info here as it is just lots of time making sure things fit right with good fasteners. Lots of anti-seize and time wiping anti-seize off my hands. So far the only surprise has been the front turn signal plug mismatch. Harness female connections are V style which is 67 only. And of course the grille and lights I got are 68. The other disappointing fact is that the bumpers are all tweaked. When it was purple I never noticed it but now it is very apparent. As this is to be a daily driver I think I need to step up the bumper protection. Maybe get OE painted ones double them up and plug weld them together for extra stiffness. Now days so many people don't care if they have to push your car around when they are trying to park. I've repainted the bumper on the girlfriend's Lexus several times because of these &%-&#%&%- people. Would painted bumpers be a bad idea? It seems to me to be a 4x4 thing.

notchbackgta 10-09-2016 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 7736006)
And I'm still stuck on the second row windows as I still have no seals. I left a message at Precision Rubber but no word back yet.

Go to GMC Pauls, I got all my weatherstripping there, no major issues

Advanced Design 10-09-2016 08:38 PM

Looking very good! People parking intentionally bump into your car?

Ol Blue K20 10-09-2016 08:44 PM

With all the work you've done I would stick with the chrome bumpers. They look much better than painted. Of course this my opinion which sometimes isn't the most popular opinion. ..lol

Bigdav160 10-09-2016 10:19 PM

The Suburban's looking good. That FC Jeep is cool

HO455 10-09-2016 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdav160 (Post 7737930)
The Suburban's looking good. That FC Jeep is cool

I'm digging it too. I've never been up close to one but the more I look at that one the more I like it. It's in for a full restoration and conversion to diesel power. Should be really cool. Thanks for the good word on the WMD.

HO455 10-09-2016 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notchbackgta (Post 7737737)
Go to GMC Pauls, I got all my weatherstripping there, no major issues

I have been shopping locally at Dan's Classic Chevrolet since 1989. At one point I had two painted, ready to install rear fenders for a 1951 GMC stolen. We called around town asking people to keep a eye out for them. Several hours later Dan's called to say 2 guys were in their store trying to sell the fenders. Long story short, we got the fenders back, but the perps got away. After this long we have a relationship and I would never get that from an online order house.

LockDoc 10-10-2016 12:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
-
Maybe I missed it.... Which gaskets are you having trouble finding? The ones I circled in this picture?

LockDoc

HO455 10-10-2016 01:30 AM

Yes those are the ones.

richard2717 10-10-2016 09:32 PM

Did you get your 67 /68 plug issue worked out? I have a 67 parts truck sitting i can check to see if the plugs are any good

Thanks for the help with the stuck glass on my thread. Looking at your write up it look like mine is just stuck as well

HO455 10-10-2016 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard2717 (Post 7738778)
Did you get your 67 /68 plug issue worked out? I have a 67 parts truck sitting i can check to see if the plugs are any good

Thanks for the help with the stuck glass on my thread. Looking at your write up it look like mine is just stuck as well

I'm pretty sure I have the plug issue solved. Just waiting for a friend to get some 67 housings from storage. Thanks for the offer and who knows I may come asking before it is all done.

LockDoc 10-10-2016 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 7738057)
Yes those are the ones.

I may have a new set of those. When I did my '69 Suburban they said they were going to be discontinued so I ordered 2 sets. I will have to look in the morning to see if I still have them.

LockDoc

HO455 10-11-2016 12:04 AM

Wow! That would be great. My body man will be happy too! :lol: Precision Rubber is supposed to be remaking the mould for them, but no word on when it would be ready.

P.S. That's a nice looking Burb in the picture

notchbackgta 10-11-2016 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 7738969)
Wow! That would be great. My body man will be happy too! :lol: Precision Rubber is supposed to be remaking the mould for them, but no word on when it would be ready.

I complained to GMC Pauls about the fitment of those seals and sent them pictures of what was wrong and I think they decided to remake them because of that. They also redid the door opening strips, twice, because I said the first set didn't fit right at all, then I critiqued the second set. They wanted to send me a third set, but I was busy.

IMO GMC Pauls is "online mail order", but I think they are a small local business to someone. I am glad I went with them because they worked with Precision to get us better fitting parts. There is no one local to me that I know of that sells what I need, much less the customer service that I have gotten from them.

LockDoc 10-12-2016 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 7738969)

P.S. That's a nice looking Burb in the picture

I finally found them. They are Precision brand. I don't know what the problem is that people are having with them. I used a set of these on my '69 Suburban and had no problem with them.

I sold the Blue/White '69 Suburban last Spring. I miss it.

LockDoc

LockDoc 10-12-2016 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notchbackgta (Post 7739473)
I complained to GMC Pauls about the fitment of those seals and sent them pictures of what was wrong and I think they decided to remake them because of that. They also redid the door opening strips, twice, because I said the first set didn't fit right at all, then I critiqued the second set. They wanted to send me a third set, but I was busy.

IMO GMC Pauls is "online mail order", but I think they are a small local business to someone. I am glad I went with them because they worked with Precision to get us better fitting parts. There is no one local to me that I know of that sells what I need, much less the customer service that I have gotten from them.

What was the problem you had with the fixed 1/4 window seals? As mentioned above I used the Precisions on my '69 Suburban with no issues....

LockDoc

Dieselwrencher 10-12-2016 09:32 PM

Wow, the suburban is looking great! I really like that green!

HO455 10-12-2016 10:54 PM

(Quote) What was the problem you had with the fixed 1/4 window seals? As mentioned above I used the Precisions on my '69 Suburban with no issues....

LockDoc

Here is my text from post 42 explaining the issue. I am unable to copy the drawing to this post so you'll have to scroll back. For some reason they had to remake the mould and it didn't get a check for proper fit, and got made then shipped out. I have heard of 2 other people here locally that received bad ones too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 7584086)
It looks as if the current batch of seals may have a different problem. The lengths looked fine on the ones I saw but they were laid out wrong. See my crude drawing to understand. It isn't a mirror image but something different with the thin side on wrong side and the angles backwards.

Here

HO455 10-12-2016 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7740706)
Wow, the suburban is looking great! I really like that green!

Thanks a lot. I need to get a picture of it in the sun so the metallic will pop for the camera. But it has a long way to go before it's anywhere as nice as your 72.

LockDoc 10-13-2016 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 7740804)
(Quote) What was the problem you had with the fixed 1/4 window seals? As mentioned above I used the Precisions on my '69 Suburban with no issues....

LockDoc

Here is my text from post 42 explaining the issue. I am unable to copy the drawing to this post so you'll have to scroll back. For some reason they had to remake the mould and it didn't get a check for proper fit, and got made then shipped out. I have heard of 2 other people here locally that received bad ones too.

OK, I have a couple of Rear 3rd doors and I will take one apart and try the gaskets I have on it. The set I have left appear to be like the Precision you have pictured so maybe I received gasket sets from 2 different manufacturing runs. It may be a day or two before I get to it....

LockDoc

HO455 10-13-2016 02:45 PM

At your convenience. No rush here. It's going to be really wet here for a week or so and I will have other things to attend to. Enjoy your weekend.

notchbackgta 10-13-2016 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 7740636)
What was the problem you had with the fixed 1/4 window seals? As mentioned above I used the Precisions on my '69 Suburban with no issues....

LockDoc

The bottom length of the seal is too short, so when you put it on the window it pulls the bottom of the seal down into the channel. I sent pictures to GMC Pauls and I think Precision recognized that the seal is not correct, but I haven't heard back about it.