The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   New Guy with a "Feathers" Blazer (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=689963)

JackB 11-28-2015 02:45 PM

New Guy with a "Feathers" Blazer

3 Attachment(s)
Hi all...I've been lurking around for a while and actually bought a 1971 Blazer a couple of months ago but was waiting to show it to you until I figured out what I was going to do with it. Heres the story..

The Blazer was something of an impulse buy. I had a 1969 Z28 Camaro that I decided to part with so I took it to the Barrett Jackson auction in Las Vegas. If your interested heres a video of it being sold https://youtu.be/oPNCx7OXn6A

I did better than I thought with the Camaro so I thought I'd bring something home with me. Found a 1971 Blazer that decided to bid on Heres the auction ad. http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Event...ZER-4X4-187120
It caught my eye because it was very orginal, unmolested and rust free. I probably overpaid a bit but it ended up coming home with me.

Although I appreciated the originality of the Blazer after a few to many OJ Bronco comparisons I started to look around for something that was period correct to get some color on it and thats when I stumbled on the Feathers decals that were offered by GM back in 72. I quickly found out that I wasnt just going to buy the decals so I found a way to have them duplicated. There not perfect copies of the originals but there pretty close. What I did was buy a AMT 1/25 scale model that was made back in he seventies that included the feathers decals. I had the decals blown up 25x to use as a pattern that was then transfered to vinyl.

Anyway, thats where I'm at now. The only other things I'm planning for the Blazer are an undercarriage/driveline detail and I picked up some 15x6 steelies and original blue bow tie dog dish hubcaps that I'm going to put on it. Look forward to your comments..and its OK if you hate the feathers look my kids have already told me how much they hate it lol

asolde 11-28-2015 05:12 PM

Re: New Guy with a "Feathers" Blazer

Good looking truck congrats, I like the feathers look. Not so sure on selling your Camaro though but it did bring good money.

doo142 11-28-2015 05:15 PM

Very cool, only we understand!!! I had never seen one , but this spring I was in Hawaii up in the high country and 3doors down from my cousins place low and behold... A feathers blazer sitting at a house. I took a bunch of pics but lost them when my phone got wet. He said the guy had it forever and was always tinkering with it. Your blazer looks very nice but we need more pics!! Thanks for sharing

Tropical Snowstorm 11-28-2015 05:41 PM

I'd love to see more pics, looks super clean. Great find and what an adventure Barrett Jasckson must have been!

viking427 11-29-2015 11:48 AM

There used to be lots of different cars in the junk yards back in the 80's that had some sort of geometric designs applied on them (mfr, dealer, owner) from 10-15 years earlier. Very period correct. Put some 1972 plates on it, slap a couple bumper stickers on it like "Nixon in 72" or "Keep on truckin". People will get it, and will probably open up all sorts of conversations in passing Prius' about America of yesteryears. You can always remove the vinyls later. Nice clean Blazer.

cleszkie 11-29-2015 05:28 PM

I certainly can appreciate the look of the vintage feathers decals (and the effort you went through to reproduce them. Almost thought about buying a NOS set that showed up on this board many years ago. The steelies will look great, but a set of aluminum slots would really compliment the decals (like in the ad). Look forward to seeing more pics of your beautiful Blazer.

JMac11 11-29-2015 07:00 PM

Love it, mine is a 50' Blazer, thinking of having some made to compliment a black Blazer. Sign Shop says they can make them in removable vinyls.

ls1nova71 11-29-2015 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB (Post 7391734)
I found a way to have them duplicated. There not perfect copies of the originals but there pretty close. What I did was buy a AMT 1/25 scale model that was made back in he seventies that included the feathers decals. I had the decals blown up 25x to use as a pattern that was then transfered to vinyl.

So essentially what you have now is a white full scale "Boondocker"? :metal: I remember that model, had a few myself. That was a good idea to have the decals made from that. Nice looking Blazer.

JackB 11-30-2015 03:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm sure I'm going to have some questions for you all as I get into it more. First generation Camaros I know Blazers not so much. While doing some more research on the Feathers Blazer I found this old TV clip from the Price is Right. Its pretty cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmyShyeszXI

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls1nova71 (Post 7393162)
So essentially what you have now is a white full scale "Boondocker"? :metal: I remember that model, had a few myself. That was a good idea to have the decals made from that. Nice looking Blazer.

Actually it was the Crew Chief model I copied. It included the Feathers decals as well. I saw the Boondocker later

Quote:

Originally Posted by viking427 (Post 7392550)
There used to be lots of different cars in the junk yards back in the 80's that had some sort of geometric designs applied on them (mfr, dealer, owner) from 10-15 years earlier. Very period correct. Put some 1972 plates on it, slap a couple bumper stickers on it like "Nixon in 72" or "Keep on truckin". People will get it, and will probably open up all sorts of conversations in passing Prius' about America of yesteryears. You can always remove the vinyls later. Nice clean Blazer.

Great idea about the bumper sticker. I have already sourced some 1971 commercial plates that I'm going to have assigned to the truck. Also, I have an old "Let's Boogie" frame I'm going to put on it

Sacramento70 11-30-2015 09:14 PM

Clean Blazer, cool idea to superblow the feathers up and make decals!!!!

1956cameo 12-03-2015 09:15 PM

Great Blazer! The feathers decals are 70's funky, which to me makes them much more interesting than a normal painted vehicle from that era. Never seen a feathers truck or blazer in person but I bet they are quite a sight.

Ol Blue K20 12-03-2015 11:03 PM

I didn't like them when I was a kid. But now that I've matured (got old) I really like them. Nice job!

DeadheadNM 12-03-2015 11:31 PM

Nice Blazer! Welcome to the K5 club.

mgkgmc 12-08-2015 03:04 PM

Kewl!

craneboy72 12-08-2015 06:39 PM

Loved the clip on let's make a deal it looked like a twin to my 71 before the feathers nice job

cstanley 12-09-2015 02:57 AM

Hey welcome! I love mine! I have a duplicate of the boondocker model myself, in core no less. It seems I remember there being something incorrect about the decals in the boondocker kit, where they'd interpreted the leading panel fill areas (white on your truck) as transparent, therefore on the ochre color they are ochre in the kit, however in reality, no matter what color the truck, that fill was always white...

I've gone as far as taking very detailed measurements and photos to have them reproduced, but the decal blow-up idea is much more efficient!

JackB 12-12-2015 11:12 AM

[QUOTE=cstanley;7403693]Hey welcome! I love mine! I have a duplicate of the boondocker model myself, in core no less. It seems I remember there being something incorrect about the decals in the boondocker kit, where they'd interpreted the leading panel fill areas (white on your truck) as transparent, therefore on the ochre color they are ochre in the kit, however in reality, no matter what color the truck, that fill was always white...

I've gone as far as taking very detailed measurements and photos to have them reproduced, but the decal blow-up idea is much more efficient![/QUOTE

I dont think the decals in the Boondocker and Crew Chief models are 100% spot on either. In addition to the white missing as you mentioned I dont think the hood decal is quite right where it meets in the center. In addition to the decals, I gave the guy at the sign shop pictures of real Feathers Blazers I had found on the internet (I remember that yours was one of them) but I never was able to find a good clear picture of the hood decal so we guessed a bit there

IronCanine 12-15-2015 10:13 PM

Too Cool. Great idea...well done.

robs71k5 12-16-2015 04:43 AM

Now that's just crazy cool ! Love it . Just wondering what colors they acually came in .

special-K 12-18-2015 10:23 AM

Nice Blazer! I like that you duplicated the Mod Bods graphics. I am a fool for period correct building. I have considered the same thing. A good friend is a sign painter and also does vinyl these days. I think if I do it I will have him paint it. He can duplicate them by seeing a picture.

stomper 12-26-2015 03:23 AM

Copied the decals from the model kit!? Awesome. Clever. I love it!!!

Mint68 01-02-2016 02:30 AM

I think it looks much better, great choice!

mrtoni 12-29-2016 03:33 AM

I see this blazer on the Scottsdale Barrett Jackson site.

Bigdav160 12-29-2016 08:10 AM

I'll be there in couple weeks, I'll look for it.

JackB 01-01-2017 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrtoni (Post 7808042)
I see this blazer on the Scottsdale Barrett Jackson site.

Yep, I consigned it to the Scottsdale auction. Lot #171 will go Tuesday 1/17 PM. No reserve, wish me luck.