The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How To Remove The Lock Cylinder From A Blazer Hatch Handle (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=503101)

LockDoc 01-12-2012 03:34 PM

How To Remove The Lock Cylinder From A Blazer Hatch Handle

5 Attachment(s)
-
First off I would like to thank Randy (teeitup) for sending me a handle to work with. His assistance made this "How To" possible.

To start with I like to soak down the handle good with PB Blaster and let it sit for a few hours before trying to dissemble it. If there is no rust or corrosion and the lock cylinder is loose in the handle you can probably skip this step. (highly unlikely)

First you have to remove the escutcheon retainer pin. (First two pictures) Then you can slide the spring assembly off and remove the escutcheon. (picture three) The spring assemby keeps the escutcheon tight aginst the handle and keeps the handle from flopping around in the hatch. When the escutcheon is off you will see the lock bolt and the cylinder retaining pin. (picture four) If you notice in the fifth picture one end of the lock bolt has a flat side on it, mark the handle with a punch mark so you know which side this end of the bolt was on. It does make a difference... Remove the cylinder retaining pin (picture six) and slide the cylinder out (picture seven). If the cylinder is stuck rap the handle on the palm of your hand and see if it slides out. ( make sure the cylinder will fall into your hand and not on the floor) if it doesn't come out try gently rapping one end of the "T" on a more solid surface. I use the edge of my workbench with a folded shop rag on it. You want to rap it as close to the cylinder as you can without the cylinder hitting the bench. Again, hold your hand under the cylinder so it doesn't fall on the floor. After the lock cylinder is out remove the lock bolt. It just slides out. CAUTION! Do not try to remove the lock bolt until the lock cylinder has been removed... If it is stuck you may have to use a small hammer & punch to remove it. Picture eight shows the lock cylinder out of the handle, and picture nine shows what the lock bolt looks like. Clean everything up including the lock bolt and the hole it fits in and you are ready for re-assembly. Once you have a key made put a small amount of Vaseline or thin grease on the lock bolt and put it back in the handle the way it came out, then insert the cylinder with the key in it, making sure it is flush with the face of the handle. Turn the key and make sure that the solid end of the lock bolt slides out of the handle OK. With the lock bolt in the out position put your fingers on the face of the lock cylinder and make sure you can pull the key out. If you can't you may have to pull the cylinder out slightly and rotate it 180º. If it works okay put the cylinder retaining pin back in and finish the assembly.

I did not find any code numbers on the lock cylinder so a key could not be cut by code. These are a pretty simple lock and it should be no problem for a good locksmith to cut a key for these. I didn't try it but it looks like the wafers for the older GM glove box locks will fit the handle cylinder, so it wouldn't be a problem to key the lock to an existing key or match the other locks on a vehicle, if a different handle were purchased. The following key blanks fit the lock cylinder I worked on: B40 ("A" keyway), B42 ("C" keyway), B44 ("E" keyway), B45 ("H" keyway), B46 ("J" keyway), & B47 ("K" keyway). If all of the handle cylinders are made the same then they should be keyable to any of these existing keys.

LockDoc

LockDoc 01-12-2012 03:36 PM

Re: How To Remove The Lock Cylinder From A Blazer Hatch Handle

4 Attachment(s)
Rest Of Pictures.

CAUTION! Do not try to remove the lock bolt until the lock cylinder has been removed...

gcburdic 01-12-2012 04:49 PM

FAQ stuff right there...thanks for your time and detailed write-up on this Leon...we appreciate you contributions!

D.PASSMORE 01-12-2012 07:44 PM

Thats it! Thanks Randy and Leon. This will help us out alot. Time to re-chrome my handle and get a key made up! :metal:

rockc 01-12-2012 07:45 PM

Thanks for the info. This will help a lot.
Rock C

LockDoc 01-12-2012 08:08 PM

-
Thanks guys. It didn't take too long to do it once I got started on it. Took longer to size down the pictures than anything...:lol:

LockDoc

YBNORML 01-12-2012 11:27 PM

Excellent work, great detail. Thank you for your time!

rsavage 01-13-2012 08:11 AM

Nice how to do it, Leon. Thanks.

teeitup 01-13-2012 09:11 AM

Leon, you did good!!!!!!!! Thanks for your time doing this. Randy

4oldcars 01-13-2012 02:31 PM

Leon! You da man!

D.PASSMORE 01-13-2012 05:24 PM

I took my first one apart today! Gotta find a reasonable plating company now.

augie 02-18-2012 02:31 AM

Thanks for the great work Leon! A copy is over in the FAQ area here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=509656

D.PASSMORE 03-11-2012 08:50 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I figured I would share the pictures of my re-chromed handle. Sent it off to Spacecoast Plating & Metal Refinishing, Melbourne, FL. Paid $94.00 for shipping (both ways) and plating. Came out really nice. Had the lock cylinder re-keyed - $25.00 to $50.00. So, you could put $125 - $150 into it and have a nice/new peice. Took a while to find a used handle. All the re-keyed / decent hatch handles that I looked at were well over $200. Good luck!

David

BOHICA 03-11-2012 09:21 PM

Thanks, guys, this is very helpful.

Since I'll be using mine for camping, I've been wondering... Could a hole be cut inside the hatch for an interior handle to be rigged up? I want to be able to open/close mine from the interior, but don't have a top or hatch yet that I can look at.

Bentblazer 03-11-2012 10:17 PM

I used a garage door handle and the square shaft is longer, it might work.

oldrustytrucks 03-19-2012 07:03 PM

Awesome! Thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device

Dale99 12-28-2012 08:55 PM

Bringing this back to the top.

So if I understand this it is....
roll pin
roll pin
lock bolt

lock bolt, I need to punch and hammer on the notched side forcing it out on the full round side?

roOstersan 12-30-2012 04:46 AM

Wow... Good stuff!!

My single wall came with a garage door type, (still looking for a factory,original). Thanx for sharing this great information.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dale99 12-30-2012 10:38 AM

FYI, the key part needs to come out before the lock pin. Otherwise you will sheer a pin off the key part. Damaged 3 locks yesterday tell I learned this.

jaros44sr 01-01-2013 09:26 PM

Thanks Leon for your time and pics....my problem is the the lock bolt is half way out, now the plate wont come off. Ill have to drive the lock bolt back in. But at least i now know what im dealing with
thanks dale for finding this... Should be in the faqs

Big Block 01-03-2013 08:38 PM

Thank you for the great write up.

LockDoc 01-17-2013 11:47 AM

Thanks guys. Sorry, I guess I need to check this thread once in a while.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale99 (Post 5785161)
FYI, the key part needs to come out before the lock pin. Otherwise you will sheer a pin off the key part. Damaged 3 locks yesterday tell I learned this.

Yes, as it says in the instructions in my first post "After the cylinder is out remove the lock bolt. It just slides out." I will add to my original post to make it more clear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 5790035)
Thanks Leon for your time and pics....my problem is the the lock bolt is half way out, now the plate wont come off. Ill have to drive the lock bolt back in. But at least i now know what im dealing with. thanks dale for finding this... Should be in the faqs

It is in the locked position then. If you take it to a locksmith he should be able to pick it to the unlocked position pretty easy if the lock cylinder is not frozen. It is just a simple wafer lock. As stated above If you drive the lock bolt "in" or "out" you will ruin the lock cylinder.

If anyone has a question on this procedure please don't hesitate to PM me.

LockDoc

Dale99 01-17-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 5823806)

Yes, as it says in the instructions in my first post "After the cylinder is out remove the lock bolt. It just slides out." I will add to my original post to make it more clear.

My comprehension of what I read sucks as well. So that doesnt help the situation either.

LockDoc 01-17-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale99 (Post 5824060)
My comprehension of what I read sucks as well. So that doesnt help the situation either.

:).. I have that problem once in a while too. I think what I added to post #1 and post #2 will help though. Sorry I wasn't checking the thread. It might have saved you from ruining your cylinders.

LockDoc

TRUCKRUNNER67 04-14-2013 02:45 PM

How do u get the handle out of the top
Posted via Mobile Device