The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How do I remove the door hinges?? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=471694)

BigRed76 06-26-2011 09:20 PM

How do I remove the door hinges??

From what I've seen the door hinges are welded on?

If that is correct then I assume it involves cutting off the old hinges and then welding the new ones on?

If thats the case then how do you make sure that the new ones get welded on in the same place?

ChevLoRay 06-26-2011 10:21 PM

Re: How do I remove the door hinges??

Follow this link. John Gilbert was the editor of Custom Classic Truck magazine and now is a contributing editor to Classic Trucks as well as editing the LMC sponsored American Trucks magazine.

He's going to do a story about how to replace the door hinges on these trucks. So, just be patient and it will be shown to the world.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471310

benoit454 06-27-2011 12:35 AM

have to ask,

are your doors sagging? if so you can just change the pins and bushings.

BigRed76 06-27-2011 12:47 AM

The driver door does sag because the center pins dont stay in all the way anymore. The reason I say they need replaced is because on both sides on the upper hinge there is a piece broken that has to do with the door staying open in the middle and fully open. That piece is broken on both sides so neither door stays open without holding it.

And I've heard that there is supposed to be a spring in there somewhere, and none of them have a spring.

mbgmike 06-27-2011 04:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Body shops replace them. The replacement hinges are bolted on. you use a fish wire attached to the bolts and feed it up on the inside. Actually GM has a tech sheet on the replacement procedure. I posted here a few years ago. The hardest part is getting the old ones off. they are a real pain to do. You will have to drill a 1/8in pilot hole and drill out the spots with 1/2in drill. We have done a number of these and I will tell you its not a fun job. Its something anyone can do however. The replacement kits come with the door side hinges and they should be done to. Just for info A Gm dealership charges around 800 to 900 to do one door. Here are some pics of a similiar kit not your year

BigRed76 06-27-2011 10:46 AM

So replacing the hinges is a chop, cut, rebuild job :lol: So before you cut the old ones off do you have to mark the location of the old ones so that you bolt the new ones up in the correct spot? Or is there another method?

benoit454 06-27-2011 11:02 AM

that bar/rod that holds the spring or the spring rides on, it's replaceable too without messing with the hinges. My DS one is gone but my PS is there. I checked online.

BigRed76 06-27-2011 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The part that the arrow is pointing to is what has broken, on both hinges. So I'm assuming since that part broke it allowed the spring to come out explaining its absense.

And its not just the black piece that broke, the rod that it rides on broke on the bottom. So is just that rod replaceable?

reecetas7196 07-31-2011 02:06 PM

do you know where I can get pins and bushings for both doors for my 69 c20 longbed? My doors are sagging as well and have a gap at the top of them which in order for me to close them I have to slam them, but they still have a gap at the top.

lha1992 07-31-2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reecetas7196 (Post 4820458)
do you know where I can get pins and bushings for both doors for my 69 c20 longbed? My doors are sagging as well and have a gap at the top of them which in order for me to close them I have to slam them, but they still have a gap at the top.

Your posting in the wrong forum. This is the 88-98 forum.

Post your question over in the 67-72 section.

reecetas7196 07-31-2011 04:40 PM

oh my bad....I just did a search and saw this one so I clicked on it...thanks anyway

benoit454 07-31-2011 09:08 PM

yes that rod the roller thing is on gets changed it's all one piece deal, mines broke off I need the same. I heard you can get em at any parts store with a HELP section?