The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Mustang II help... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=790065)

skip99 07-11-2019 05:54 PM

Mustang II help...

Bought this unfinished project 10 years ago, 51 truck, already had must 2 front on it, was told it was either a fatman or something...anyway, does this look like a stock setup ? Maybe pulled from a parts car? Not that thats a bad thing but, in the pic, circled in red, the joint moves about 1/4” without moving the driver side, is there an adjustment forthat? Otherwise i think im looking at having to replace the whole power rack? Suggestions? Alsooooo,

To get the height i want im thinking i need the 2” drop spindles,,any sugestions? Would also like to upgrade to the 11” gm rotors at the same time..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...88FE367A88.png
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...2D23CB409.jpeg

Overdriven 07-11-2019 07:31 PM

Re: Mustang II help...

That MII setup is using stock style arms, but Fatman and others sold MII setups with stock arms. You are missing the strut rods to go along with those stock style arms, donor should’ve had them and if it was a kit it would’ve come with them. Somebody left them off.

Racks are maintenance free, no adjustments available as far as I know. No idea on sizing or sourcing a replacement. There’s gotta be a measurement you can take to get another though. Worst come to worst, find a rebuilder and have yours rebuilt.

Sorry no idea on the spindles or brakes.

skip99 07-11-2019 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdriven (Post 8556982)
That MII setup is using stock style arms, but Fatman and others sold MII setups with stock arms. You are missing the strut rods to go along with those stock style arms, donor should’ve had them and if it was a kit it would’ve come with them. Somebody left them off.

Racks are maintenance free, no adjustments available as far as I know. No idea on sizing or sourcing a replacement. There’s gotta be a measurement you can take to get another though. Worst come to worst, find a rebuilder and have yours rebuilt.

Sorry no idea on the spindles or brakes.

Missing strut rods? Where should they go?

oldman3 07-12-2019 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip99 (Post 8557021)
Missing strut rods? Where should they go?

I think you may have the strut rods, your first pic show where they bolt to the arm. They go from the arm back to the frame, where a bracket should be. They were angled back to bracket with rubber on both sides with cups then a nut to hold in place.

I don't have a pic of the orginal set-up, but here is a link to what Heidt's sales now. https://www.heidts.com/search-results/?keywords=sr-101. Hope this helps ...Jim

bloo 07-12-2019 01:32 AM

Do you mean there is 1/4" of slop in/out under the boot inside that red circle? If so, thats a bad inner tie rod end. It probably isn't adjustable, but it probably is replaceable. Take the boot off and look.

SInce its a power rack, I wouldn't be in a big rush to repair it until you know the rack is good. There is all sorts of crap that can go wrong with a power rack.

skip99 07-12-2019 06:37 AM

Good info, thanks,
Quote:

Originally Posted by bloo (Post 8557148)
Do you mean there is 1/4" of slop in/out under the boot inside that red circle? If so, thats a bad inner tie rod end. It probably isn't adjustable, but it probably is replaceable. Take the boot off and look.

SInce its a power rack, I wouldn't be in a big rush to repair it until you know the rack is good. There is all sorts of crap that can go wrong with a power rack.

Overdriven 07-17-2019 10:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oops. Didn’t realize the strut rods went from the arms to the rear on the Mustang II. Must have been remembering a different vehicle where the strut rods go to the front of the vehicle.

robnolimit 07-25-2019 01:10 PM

The racks are non adjustable on the inner tie rod, BUT, I have seen them get loose. This is a threaded coupler. You can pull the boot back and see if it is loose. - tighten to 75 ft/lbs. Other than that, new rack. 74-78 Mustang was the base doner from the picts. For dropped spindles, No Limit has a "Smart Spindle" MII based, 2" drop, the brake side thinks it is a metric GM (G-Body), so the spindle pin and caliper mount are spec of the OE gm. You can put 11" GM rotor/cal/pads/bearings/seals directly on the spindle. No adapters or bolt-on mounts. 139/pr

skip99 07-27-2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robnolimit (Post 8564772)
The racks are non adjustable on the inner tie rod, BUT, I have seen them get loose. This is a threaded coupler. You can pull the boot back and see if it is loose. - tighten to 75 ft/lbs. Other than that, new rack. 74-78 Mustang was the base doner from the picts. For dropped spindles, No Limit has a "Smart Spindle" MII based, 2" drop, the brake side thinks it is a metric GM (G-Body), so the spindle pin and caliper mount are spec of the OE gm. You can put 11" GM rotor/cal/pads/bearings/seals directly on the spindle. No adapters or bolt-on mounts. 139/pr

So , the diff in most kits, or drop spindles ive seen use an odd bearing to make the gm rotor fit, right? I assume you have all the parts i need, ill be in contact.. looked on your site, didnt see it..

robnolimit 07-30-2019 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip99 (Post 8565924)
So , the diff in most kits, or drop spindles ive seen use an odd bearing to make the gm rotor fit, right? I assume you have all the parts i need, ill be in contact.. looked on your site, didnt see it..

Yes, our Smart Spindle was designed to use all of the OE G-body brake components. Rotors, Calipers, Bearings and Seals. These are the spindles that we use in out Air Glide and Road Glide IFS kits. - not on the site separate, but they are avail. We have dual pattern (4 1/2" and 4 3/4") drilled/slotted rotors for these. They all use 1/2" x 20 thread screw in studs. Just give us a call.

skip99 07-30-2019 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robnolimit (Post 8567474)
Yes, our Smart Spindle was designed to use all of the OE G-body brake components. Rotors, Calipers, Bearings and Seals. These are the spindles that we use in out Air Glide and Road Glide IFS kits. - not on the site separate, but they are avail. We have dual pattern (4 1/2" and 4 3/4") drilled/slotted rotors for these. They all use 1/2" x 20 thread screw in studs. Just give us a call.

Thanks!