The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Trying to get one rolling again... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=761863)

dtkarst 04-16-2018 12:14 AM

Trying to get one rolling again...

My nephew has been on me to get my old 61 Apache 4x4 running. He's 8 so I figured he'd forget about it and move on to something else...and he hasn't lol Its still all original, 235 inline that i can't get started. I would like to get an HEI for it, but imposture what I need. Can anyone post a link or any information on putting an HEI in it and where to get one? Trying to make it easy to work with. Let me know if anyone has any info. thanks

shp4man 04-16-2018 12:21 AM

Re: Trying to get one rolling again...

You know, points and condensers worked perfectly well for 60 years. Just sayin'
Anyway, does it have spark, compression and fuel?

dtkarst 04-16-2018 12:32 AM

Replaced them all, not have no spark. New cap, points, condenser, plugs, wires, rotor. Zero spark, so while I'm replacing the ignition and wires and such to it, I'm doing an hei if i can. Makes life easier. She's definitely not the first old pickup I've brought back to life, and I've used points and HEIs, and if i can do an hei, ill take it over points any day lol

62 Barnfind 04-16-2018 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtkarst (Post 8239452)
Replaced them all, not have no spark. New cap, points, condenser, plugs, wires, rotor. Zero spark, so while I'm replacing the ignition and wires and such to it, I'm doing an hei if i can. Makes life easier. She's definitely not the first old pickup I've brought back to life, and I've used points and HEIs, and if i can do an hei, ill take it over points any day lol

Did you place the coil? Also are you getting power to the coil?

SkinnyG 04-16-2018 10:40 AM

My '61 sat for twenty years. Fuel pickup/lines were plugged (ran off a jerry can to get it running), and the points were corroded enough to not actually ground (scuffed with sandpaper).

While I bought a kit for the carb just in case, the carb runs just fine as it is.

Short 3/4 04-16-2018 01:33 PM

Got the HEI for my 292 from Langdons many years ago and has worked great ever since

dtkarst 04-16-2018 01:34 PM

Carbs redone, and I’m going to put an hei in it. Has a new coil, I’ve tracked it all down to a distributor. So if I’m going to get a new one I’m going to put an hei in it. I’ve been tinkering with it a few years here and there and ran through everything that was done before again this weekend. Just needing info on if anyone has done an hei in them and where to get one etc. thanks

raidmagic 04-16-2018 03:06 PM

Do you have power to the coil while cranking?

raidmagic 04-16-2018 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shp4man (Post 8239446)
You know, points and condensers worked perfectly well for 60 years. Just sayin'
Anyway, does it have spark, compression and fuel?

Washing your clothes at the river on a rock works too but I bet you have a washing machine.

shp4man 04-16-2018 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raidmagic (Post 8239919)
Washing your clothes at the river on a rock works too but I bet you have a washing machine.

These old 6 cylinder engines don't need a 70,000 volt spark to run correctly. The only difference between an electronic ignition and points is the points require maintenance/replacement every 25,000 miles.
It wont make a 6 cylinder truck run any better, in fact, it may run slower than an old points distributor because when HEI came out in the mid 70's, they needed to chop the timing curve a bit to comply with smog laws.
Chopped timing= less power.
Now if you have a performance motor that turns over 6000RPM, it's a different story.
I work with automotive electronics all day, so for me, it's a joy having a vehicle with NO electronics. :lol:
As far as the OP is concerned, they never made an HEI 235, so he may be out of luck, but there may be some trick I don't know. There's always Pertronix.

Cris 04-16-2018 08:18 PM

Google this:

hei for 235 inline 6

There are lots out there. Caveat Emptor though because most of these are imports. I would recommend buying one from a place with a phone number and the appearance that they will support you after the sale.