The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Frame and Suspension Questions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=806018)

flashed 05-10-2020 01:10 PM

Frame and Suspension Questions

Just recently got my 70 stepper back from Rust Repair and paint blending , keeping it Patina , the body is now ready for the rest of the build .

Im going to take it off the frame next , pretty easy since all bolts holding it on are new .
Im going to take the front and rear suspension off the frame , never done this before and have the frame sand blasted and painted or powder coated , undecided on that .
Where do I buy replacement bushings for the rear suspension (best quality brands) and what are they called ?

Where do I buy the A frame bushings for the front (best quality brands ) ?

Any ideas and tips are much appreciated .

SCOTI 05-11-2020 10:18 AM

Re: Frame and Suspension Questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 8736373)
Just recently got my 70 stepper back from Rust Repair and paint blending , keeping it Patina , the body is now ready for the rest of the build .

Im going to take it off the frame next , pretty easy since all bolts holding it on are new .
Im going to take the front and rear suspension off the frame , never done this before and have the frame sand blasted and painted or powder coated , undecided on that .
Where do I buy replacement bushings for the rear suspension (best quality brands) and what are they called ?

Moog 'Problem Solver' series bushings are top tier quality.

mongocanfly 05-13-2020 01:41 AM

And my 2cents...powder coat is not the best idea on a frame...paint is much easier to repair if you get a chip or have to drill/weld/cut on the frame.

SCOTI 05-13-2020 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8738243)
And my 2cents...powder coat is not the best idea on a frame...paint is much easier to repair if you get a chip or have to drill/weld/cut on the frame.

I PC'd my frame w/zero regrets. For a driver type of build, you can blend in rattle can repairs w/o issue on the standard Semi or Low Gloss Blacks.

Ziegelsteinfaust 05-13-2020 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 8736373)

For the front PST poly graphite have been a personal favorite for a long time. Not sure I would run them on a trailing arm truck if yours is so equipped

mongocanfly 05-13-2020 08:33 PM

glad you had good luck with pc Scoti.. ive had some good luck with pc and some turn out horrible...id get a reputable coater to do it though

SCOTI 05-13-2020 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8738708)
glad you had good luck with pc Scoti.. ive had some good luck with pc and some turn out horrible...id get a reputable coater to do it though

Truth. Definitely don't cheap out if taking that path.

flashed 05-13-2020 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust (Post 8738564)
For the front PST poly graphite have been a personal favorite for a long time. Not sure I would run them on a trailing arm truck if yours is so equipped

My truck does have the trailing arms , hoping to set the body off the frame very soon so I can tear into the frame . Probably going to sandblast and paint it . A neighbor does sandblasting and a buddy is going to paint it for me . Be a lot cheaper and I can spend money elsewhere . Like all my toys , this will be a driver .

Ziegelsteinfaust 05-13-2020 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 8738773)
My truck does have the trailing arms , hoping to set the body off the frame very soon so I can tear into the frame . Probably going to sandblast and paint it . A neighbor does sandblasting and a buddy is going to paint it for me . Be a lot cheaper and I can spend money elsewhere . Like all my toys , this will be a driver .

If you like a firmer suspension like I do. I would run PST poly graphite in front.

Then for the rear either high quality rubber bushings or doing something like Johnny joints. The Johnny joints I have read are decent for the street, but I have no personal experience. But I would use PST polygraphite bushings in the pan hard.

If your fine with factory there rubber kits are top notch too

68Stepbed 05-15-2020 08:59 AM

What's the overall plan for the truck, John?