The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   What do you guys think of this blazer? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=730344)

seattle gmc 02-13-2017 10:00 PM

What do you guys think of this blazer?

I have been searching for later 88-91 blazer or Jimmy for a while now. Im moving back home to Idaho soon and i want a snow rig/mild 4x4 off road rig, and I have allways wanted to a k/5. I have been looking at craigslist and ebay.

Here is the link and some of my thoughts below.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/5956495926.html

Is this one worth looking at? There are quite a few red flags on this one. Most of the rigs ive seen in this price range are filled with all sorts problems (or upgrades depending on who you talk to), and rust. Idealy i would like to find a mostly original un-abused rig, and i recently lost out on decent one but it was 10+ grand.

This one is advertised as a 91, didn't this year have an electronic speedo? Or was it still a cable driven unit. This issue worries me a bit becuase who knows how many miles are on it.

Drive line had to be pulled so the vehicle could move. I have contacted the seller. And she said it was like this when she got it. So she dose not know why it was pulled out. Transfer case issue? Front diff or hubs?

The electric fan set up is totaly mickey mouse looking.

The body and interior seem ok, besides the pealing clear.

I willing to put some work into a blazer or jimmy but i would like to get your guys' thoughts on this one. Should i stay clear of it and not even check it out.

seattle gmc 02-13-2017 10:06 PM

Re: What do you guys think of this blazer?

2 Attachment(s)
some pics the seller sent me of the engine

Ski-me 02-14-2017 10:55 AM

It looks to be a 90 or 91. In engine bay, there is a black box mounted to the brake master cylinder that controls the rear anti-lock brakes. Only offered in 90 and 91. They don't do too much in the stopping though.

Looks like seat belts in rear are also missing. 90 and 91 had a rear shoulder belt and the unit was attached to the fiberglass shell inside. It looks like there are some connections where they use to be.

Electric speedo will have an extra digit so you also get the 100,000 mile counter. 89 and older has one less so once you roll over 100k, who knows. I converted my cable 89 to the 90-91 electric. Works more smooth than the cable driven....I prefer.

Rear driveline removed or front?

If it can't move, that drives the price down for sure!

Seats actually look pretty decent (front and rear). Carpet is trashed and I would replace (not too expensive really).

Paint looks decent and any pealing is expected.

I bought my 89' in Seattle for $3500 and it ran. So a data point for you.

You'll have to check for rust, especially in the rear tailgate area and rear floorpan area.

Looks like a 4" lift. You'd have to install a new engine fan, new radiator shroud and new OEM air cleaner. If you have some good junkyards there, you can find all kinds of parts.

The biggest issue is if it's driveable or not.

Ski-me 02-14-2017 11:11 AM

OK, read the ad now.

Front driveline missing probably because there was some interference with the lift. Maybe it was hitting the exhaust??!? With a 4" lift, you may or may not have some driveline vibration. If the t-case is in stock position....maybe. If it's been dropped, that puts a bit more strain on engine mounts.

speedo being broken for that long, you'll have to be OK with it not working and mileage unknown. At this point, these trucks are more based off of drivable condition vs. mileage.

Speedo fix could be wires from t-case, DRAC box (magic box) or speedo itself. Just more parts to find at junkyard.....

With the stock rear end, it's going to get tired with 35" tires. Probably stick with 33's and drop to 2.5" lift.

seattle gmc 02-14-2017 11:29 AM

Thanks for the reply ski! Hopefully your on to something with the lift effecting the drive line. Honestly I don't want t a lifted rig. I wouldn't mind a mild lift, but if I find a k/5 at the original ride height, I will leave it there. The jimmy in the add has 33's the seller was asking for money for it to come with 35's.

I'm not familiar with these jimmys or blazers at all. So when you say the check for rust in the rear. Do you mean under the vehicle and outside/ Or under the carpet from the inside?

And I would definitely go searching for stock shroud fan and air cleaner.

Ski-me 02-14-2017 12:01 PM

yes, I'm talking about the underside of the truck. Crawl under it and see what it looks like for rust. Mine is rusted out a bit and also my tailgate. I had to replace the entire tailgate but haven't fixed the rear floorpan yet. I don't have the welding skills.

Lots of things to check:

Brake rotors and pads
Steering box at frame connection. Check for frame cracks (there is a fix)
AC, assume it doesn't work and it's costly to fix
Rear end, if still stock.....hmm. Check glove box for RPO codes to find out rear end.
3.42's are common in this era.

Front and rear springs are best to replace if you drop suspension (BDS or Tuff Country). Then you need shocks (Bilstein 5100's).

Too bad. I'm heading up to CDA, ID this weekend...if it was a little closer.

Ski-me 02-14-2017 12:02 PM

don't know if you can see these pics but this guy just sold his in Spokane. Pretty decent shape and one of the pics shows the frame crack repair....

https://ck5.com/forums/threads/91-gm...pokane.328890/

kwmech 02-14-2017 10:26 PM

With the 4'' lift and the auto front locking hubs, the drive shaft may have had issues especially if one of the locking hubs did not disengage properly. OR the centering pin on the CV may be bad or need clearance for the extra angle

Ski-me 02-15-2017 11:01 AM

Axle RPO Codes and ratios

GU6 - 3.42
GT4 - 3.73
GT5 - 4.10

68Timber 02-15-2017 03:45 PM

They might have meant front driveshaft removed. I believe a 4" lift requires lengthening the front shaft

eighteenninetytwo 02-15-2017 04:20 PM

THAT would explain why mine was out of the truck when I got it... never even thought of that its a shorter distance so the 4" is more of a difference.

datmony 02-23-2017 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ski-me (Post 7858600)
don't know if you can see these pics but this guy just sold his in Spokane. Pretty decent shape and one of the pics shows the frame crack repair....

https://ck5.com/forums/threads/91-gm...pokane.328890/

This one is cool.... so much so I bought it. :)

Ski-me 03-01-2017 07:05 PM

Here is one near you. Looks to be in good shape! I'll be heading up there in a few weeks....

https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/6000535361.html

seattle gmc 03-02-2017 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ski-me (Post 7873738)
Here is one near you. Looks to be in good shape! I'll be heading up there in a few weeks....

https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/6000535361.html

That one dose look good. I never went to see the one i originaly posted about, i really shouldn't be buying another project vehicle that needs that much work. I lived in Hayden for a few years as a kid. I still have some family in northern idaho, but im no longer very close with them.

Thanks for the link. Im moving back to southern idaho later on in the spring. Right now im busy working on my house so we can sell it in the next month or so. After the house sells i can pobably go look at trucks that are a litter futher away but for now i cant venture to far away. I apreciate the link, if you come across other good rigs please post em up.